The Tech Random Crap Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm kinda glad that HDR is still somewhat niche tech, because I'm worried that once it's default on all displays that advertisements will be too bright, just like they're currently too loud.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had to appear for Jury Selection this morning. I was just now released.

I'm surprised it took this long to dismiss me, given that it turns out the defendant in the civil case being brought is like my 4th largest client, who has spent over half a million dollars on my projects just this summer, and I told them so at 9:15 this morning. Kind of a conflict of interests there, really.

I had to appear for Jury Selection this morning. I was just now released.

I'm surprised it took this long to dismiss me, given that it turns out the defendant in the civil case being brought is like my 4th largest client, who has spent over half a million dollars on my projects just this summer, and I told them so at 9:15 this morning. Kind of a conflict of interests there, really.
Well, nobody cares about that. Your moving slowly towards the left is unforgivable though.

figmentPez

Staff member
A while back I noticed that a bunch YouTube channels use the same stock music, and my brain gets confused every time "toy review music" suddenly shows up as "cooking montage tune".

I wondered why YouTube didn't set up a system to connect independent musicians with video creators, so everyone in the chain could benefit. Indie artists get discovered, video creators get more varied music to match their content, and YouTube makes money off of brokering the deals, while also cutting down on the number of copyright complaints. Then I realized that such a system would cut the RIAA out of the picture, and major record companies really do not want YouTube to help people discover music they don't control.

Saw that.
Want someone to do the same thing but with Chrome user agent first (or go back and forth) just to make sure it's not some kind of caching thing.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
The other day I was thinking about Spoon Theory, and one of my problems with it is that there isn't just one currency to be paid in getting things done while disabled / chronically ill. You can't always pay for an endurance task with concentration currency. Being disabled has a whole F2P economy of bullshit fake currency. It's spoons and gold spoons, and buttons, and paperclips, and.... Every task takes multiple types of currency, and you get random amounts of each currency every day, and sometimes you can earn extra currency, but you've also got to save up enough currency to buy your way into events that unlock more currency later. Also, just like F2P games you can pay to expedite tasks with real dollars, but that shit gets expensive fast.

So I just changed my DNS server on my phone from Google to adguard. As expected, less ads.
However, what is also very noticeable and I didn't expect - waaayyyyy less propaganda on meme sites. Seems a lot of the propaganda bots (yes, most obviously the pro Russia, Pro Trump and anti Muslim ones but it's really visible on both sides) are being blocked out too. Awesome.

waaayyyyy less propaganda on meme sites.
Many (most?) of the propaganda places depend on the same information the ad sites do to function. I live in an area just chock full of rednecks and Conservatives and my YouTube ads are always things like, "Don't believe your eye doctor about vision problems it's all something you can cure with two spoons and our amazing 10-step program..." There was even one ad that I just couldn't believe was allowed to air. I was going to record it but when I showed it to my wife I forgot to pause it before it ended and then it had moved on to the next one. It was one of those "Fluoride is reacting with the sunlight that hits your 'third eye' pineal gland and leaching the calcium from your teeth" kinds of ads. That's not hyperbole, by the way. That's a best-effort reconstruction from my one-time viewing of what the ad actually sounded like.

--Patrick

Many (most?) of the propaganda places depend on the same information the ad sites do to function. I live in an area just chock full of rednecks and Conservatives and my YouTube ads are always things like, "Don't believe your eye doctor about vision problems it's all something you can cure with two spoons and our amazing 10-step program..." There was even one ad that I just couldn't believe was allowed to air. I was going to record it but when I showed it to my wife I forgot to pause it before it ended and then it had moved on to the next one. It was one of those "Fluoride is reacting with the sunlight that hits your 'third eye' pineal gland and leaching the calcium from your teeth" kinds of ads. That's not hyperbole, by the way. That's a best-effort reconstruction from my one-time viewing of what the ad actually sounded like.

--Patrick
Is it just me, or has there recently been a major uptick in batshit crazy ads? For years on YouTube, I just got the normal products and services type ads, but lately it's been all sorts of MAGAt shit when I don't go anywhere near those types of videos. It got bad enough that I broke down and got the subscription to YouTube (hmm...maybe that was YouTube's goal...)

Same with junk mail, though. I've been getting 50+ a day and most of them are insane right wing conspiracy theories.

Is it just me, or has there recently been a major uptick in batshit crazy ads?
The requirement to PUBLICLY DISPLAY a prominent badge of conformant solidarity is fanning the smoldering antisocial part of these people's brains into a full blaze. Then, like a cicada waking from a decade-long slumber or a locust entering its swarming phase, they are broadcasting their "mating call," they are receiving a like-minded reply, and their behavior changes from mere sublimated passive-aggressive tendencies to full-on overt aggressive-aggressive "You'll never make ME wear no mask/microchip/barcode/Mark of The Beast!" Karenesque behavior.

The irony of the fact that they are banding together to amplify their message of individualism is not lost on me.
--Patrick

I realize it's "just a gimmick," but that doesn't mean I don't want to see what my commute would sound like. 45min of Synthwave, maybe?

--Patrick