The Tech Random Crap Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been thinking about how strange the Pokemon world can be. If a trainer finds a trubbish amongst some trash between a couple of buildings.... They have literally found a litter ally in a litter alley.

So AT&T is now announcing AT&T TV (not DirectTV ha ha no not that), which is an Android-based set-top box with an OK Google remote that you can...ok, so it's basically an Android-based AppleTV. The service itself appears to have plenty to offer but...what's the deal with the plans? You have to sign up for a two-year contract, and then the price doubles after the first year? Breaking the contract gets you a $15 per month remaining early-termination fee? Do they not get the point of cord-cutting?

Wait, what I am saying? Of course they don't get the point of cord-cutting. What do they think this is, the 90's?

--Patrick

So AT&T is now announcing AT&T TV (not DirectTV ha ha no not that), which is an Android-based set-top box with an OK Google remote that you can...ok, so it's basically an Android-based AppleTV. The service itself appears to have plenty to offer but...what's the deal with the plans? You have to sign up for a two-year contract, and then the price doubles after the first year? Breaking the contract gets you a $15 per month remaining early-termination fee? Do they not get the point of cord-cutting?

Wait, what I am saying? Of course they don't get the point of cord-cutting. What do they think this is, the 90's?

--Patrick
You forget who they used to be. Old habits die hard.

You'd think ATT would change DirectTV to an internet version. With live on demand instead of renting and waiting to the top of the hour.

IDK, but I know our school district has also been setting up hotspots, or otherwise helping students get subsidized wifi.

In Dirty Communist...center of western Europe....Belgium, whole cities just have blanket free WiFi across town. (yes, our cities are smaller. Learn to live properly)

GasBandit

Staff member
A shout out to our techies: how hard would this be to implement on a scale of, say, a city the size of Mesa, Arizona? (Abt. 500k population, area size of roughly 140 sq. mi., give or take more like really give - along the size of about 195 sq. miles - but it's all essentially flat)

CA Scool District Using Buses as Hot Spots So Kids Can Connect for E-learning
It depends on the tech they're using. The article didn't specify what model hotspot they're using. Is it just a consumer-grade cell phone wifi hotspot, or are they mounting a microwave antenna on the roof and aiming it at a central location? There's far too many options and variables.

TLDR version, yeah, you can definitely do that, it's just a question of how much money it'll take to do so.

TLDR version, yeah, you can definitely do that, it's just a question of how much money it'll take to do so.
This.
Technically, there is no reason why every apartment/house/shack/bungalow/lean-to everywhere in the USA can't have decent WiFi, the only reason is because nobody wants to be the one to pay for it. Blanketing the entire country would be impractical, but the technology easily exists to allow every inhabited area to have it.

--Patrick

What a bit of googling discovered is that a lot of CA school districts that already have Wi-Fi on their buses under the guise of helping students with homework on the long bus ride to school. That'd indicate that it's for school districts that already have the stuff on their buses.

The problem with MPS would be actually getting all several hundred plus buses in the district installed with the equipment - which ain't happening now.

Just got this email at 7am this morning: "PatrThom your Facebook password was reset on Friday Apr 10 at 5pm. If this was not you then please get in touch with us using the following link." Gee thanks for letting me know that I'm going to reset my password 10 hours from now.

Tech scammers. Gotta love 'em.

--Patrick

@DarkAudit (and maybe @GasBandit )

Try not to yell at your screen when he gets to IRS.

--Patrick
Were you thinking I'd get all hot and bothered over 'big bad gub'mint,' or...

He didn't recognize the old IRS Records logo?

I tuned out after a few too many "I don't know what this was for." Was his google-fu that weak? He mentioned Techmoan, and I'm sure *he* would have been able to find the information.

I've officially started working from home today. It only took a multibillion dollar company 5 weeks to allow Remote Support to work remotely! Victory! Huzzah!
Anyway, I've disconnected my personal PC from the cable and I'm using an ancient wifi dongle I had lying around. My work PC is now connected to the cable.
Home PC through the cable: 275 MBps
Work CP through the cable, but with my employer's proxy: 227 MBps
Home PC through WiFi: 2.3 MBps
Work PC with te VPN active: 7.1 MBps

URGH GOOD LORD THIS IS SLOOWWW. Especially since all of my work apps and programs assume you're on the company network.

figmentPez

Staff member
Spending $100, and creating a fire/electrical hazard, in order to save $20!

Making a DIY spot welder to replace the 18650 batteries in a power bank.

I wouldn't buy it, but I think it's pretty neat. The lights can react to sound, it'd be fun if you could use the front as a spectrum display.

I always see things like that and think it would be cool if you could use it to make something useful, like using the colors to indicate the heat of each processor. I've wanted to see that in things like keyboard colors, but never have though it seems somewhat obvious.

I was born in 75 and my mom smoked a lot of pot. I'm guessing that's why I don't remember a lot of the seventies. Or eighties for that matter.