The Tech Random Crap Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Watching my step-dad struggle through trying to set up an instagram account and figure out how to post to it because his trout fishing club needs younger members. And he's to stubborn to accept my help ("I need to figure out how to do it for myself!")... and it's just torture.

I got him clued in to lastpass a year or two ago... and he's still insisting on keeping all his logins and passwords in a word document >_<

Dumped Opera today, replaced it with Firefox.
Mozilla's stated commitment to privacy and security fills me with more confidence than that of a browser bankrolled by a Chinese cybersecurity magnate.

--Patrick

Dumped Opera today, replaced it with Firefox.
Mozilla's stated commitment to privacy and security fills me with more confidence than that of a browser bankrolled by a Chinese cybersecurity magnate.

--Patrick
You may also want to look at Vivaldi as it's made by former Opera employees (including one of the founders) and its basically a spiritual successor of the old pre-Chinese owned version of Opera.

You may also want to look at Vivaldi as it's made by former Opera employees (including one of the founders) and its basically a spiritual successor of the old pre-Chinese owned version of Opera.
My old setup was Opera/Vivaldi, now it is Firefox/Vivaldi. I have Vivaldi set as the default browser, but I do all my user-initiated browsing in Opera Firefox. That way if something goes to auto-open a link, it will go grab Vivaldi and not be able to snoop my Firefox history or whatever.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Is there a source besides Forbes? I'm wary of their tech advice since they ran an article promoting a new version of Linux that's made by China.

if I could afford to downgrade my video card I would, just to get an AMD card so I wouldn't have to worry about signed Nvidia drivers and could install Ubuntu.
Huh. I knew Apple has been avoiding NVIDIA (presumably due to the green team's insistence on CUDA), I didn't realize Canonical was as well.
Is there a source besides Forbes? I'm wary of their tech advice since they ran an article promoting a new version of Linux that's made by China.
For anyone who hasn't heard about it:

Forbes Raves Upcoming Linux Desktop Will 'Embarass' Windows 10 and macOS

Now I'm no student of journalism, but the claim that some unknown can come out of nowhere and suddenly obviate both WinX & macOS seems genuinely ludicrous, and the whole thing reads like an "As Seen On TV" infomercial. A claim like that had better come with a metric butt-ton of data to back it up...unless you're totally making an appeal to the emotion of your reader instead of, well, being a journalist.

--Patrick

My RAM is dying a slow, painful death. Getting less and less stable. I ordered a couple of new sticks of much larger size. They come in and...one's DOA. BOO! Now I have to RMA it and wait at least a week before getting a replacement. I hope my shitty unstable RAM makes it that long.

Well got to play 10 minutes before:

Attachments

Last edited:
Hah that wouldn't sting so bad if I didnt have what looks to be almost the exact set up shown, including Corsair ram, and had a stick die on me a few weeks back...

figmentPez

Staff member
I was thinking today about rumors Netflix and Disney+ cracking down on password sharing. They can't honestly think that they're going to convert that many people to paying customers, so I was wondering what their motive was. Then I realized: user data and profiling. Sharing profiles pollutes data. It's not about extra people getting to see the content, it's about extra people messing up their data gathering. The data they gather may be more valuable to them than the monthly fee.

Reading your reaction, I expected a lot worse. Not crazy about the pointy roof or the short bed, but otherwise I like the ideas behind it. I do kind of feel like I've seen the same basic design in some random sci-fi show though.

Oh, I think the side profile with the shortish front and sloping back reminds me a bit of the Interceptor from The Wraith.

After spending all that cash on the new rig last winter, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to gimp it by restricting it to 1080p. With the weekend's sales and an influx of extra holiday and birthday money, I'm tempted to go bigger. Best Buy has a 50" 4K HDR Sharp/Roku for $240. Since I have a 43" 1080p only version already, it's an upgrade no matter what. I'll see what else is out there in about an hour or so after work is done and so is dinner.

1u2000w.jpg

source

Ok it's a computer thing, so what?
It's admittedly a very specialized server for very special workloads which means that most of the world won't care anyway.
So why am I posting it?
...because it's a 1U server with about 1800W of equipment inside of it, that's why! What the absolute what? Can you imagine how hot and LOUD standing next to a rack with 42 of them in it would be?

--Patrick