The Tech Random Crap Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
Before I click on that thread to read it - are there Star Wars spoilers in it?
Nash doesn't say anything about Star Wars in his 5 tweets. It's just a rant about how M$ killed off Netscape, and then didn't update IE for years, while businesses built their products around it.

None of the tweets I see as replies say anything about Star Wars, but I can't promise there won't be any.

figmentPez

Staff member
I wonder how long before Disney is using these for interactive displays in their parks:
So, I've been thinking about this. It might come as a surprise, but one of my favorite Disney characters is Figment the Dragon from Journey Into Imagination in EPCOT. Back before they tried to get rid of Figment, and made that pavilion much worse, one of the things they had there was a giant version of one of these:
Pin art toy.jpg

The thing was the size of a pool table, or at least it is in my memory. I'm not sure how big it actually was, but despite not being able to tilt it up to hold the patterns in place, it was still a lot of fun to press your hands up, or run your hands underneath to make shimmering patterns as the pins swayed.

Now imagine a new version of that, with the holographic display from the video. Only it's not just pins you're shaping with your hands, it's all sorts of stuff. Like one set you'd put your hands under and motion tracking would make virtual, 3D Mickey Mouse gloved hands follow the movements of your real hands. Or dragon claws, or robot hands, or princess gloves. Other stations might let you pet imaginary creatures... of your own design! Build a creature from parts, and then pet a virtual version! There are so many possibilities to illustrate imagination.

Unpopular opinion: Beans make a damn good pizza topping.

Not just in "Mexican pizza" type situations, either. Tomato sauce, mozzarella, onions, and some type of white beans is a fantastic pizza.
this is a tech random thought? ill give that a try the next time i get pizza in any case.

I bought this laptop in 2015, and hp just pinged me that it's reached its "end of productive life" I'm tempted to check out the 10th gen Core i5 Dell Inspiron for about $500 for my Windows laptop, and throw Gentoo on this one. It's got an A10-8700p processor with R6 graphics, 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. The Dell I'm looking at has 8GB RAM and a 256GB NVMe SSD.

You know they are bringing out Ryzen 4000-series laptops now, packing 8c in 15W. Probably going to be a while before the kernel’s updated to take full advantage, but they should WinX just fine for starters.

—Patrick

You know they are bringing out Ryzen 4000-series laptops now, packing 8c in 15W. Probably going to be a while before the kernel’s updated to take full advantage, but they should WinX just fine for starters.

—Patrick
But...
Techradar said:
We'll probably see Ryzen 3 laptops starting around the $600 mark, with laptops rocking the Ryzen 7 4800H or 4800U hitting the premium market above $1,000.
Not in my budget.

In my defense, I don’t know your budget, other than that it’s probably lower than I think.

...and there are (low-end) Ryzen laptops going for what, $250 now? Just not the 4000-series (though the 4000 intro is helping push down prices of the older ones).

—Patrick

Hmm, that's actually... higher than I was expecting.

--Patrick
When I saw the #1 seller on Amazon was running Windows S, I decided $300 was a bit low. Even if you can turn it off for free, that kind of gimping makes me wonder what else is locked down.

Going on an hour to install the latest update pack on my laptop. And that’s with 16gb RAM and an SSD. as soon as payday hits on Friday, I think I’ll be ordering that Dell.