fade

Staff member
I think I was humbled by my 9 year old son last night. I am reading Lord of the Rings aloud. We were discussing Tom Bombadil , and how there's a lot of discussion about who he really is in the mythos of Middle Earth. I told him some of the theories and Tolkien's word on the matter. My son says, "Maybe he's supposed to be Middle Earth itself." That's good. I like it. He says to Frodo that he was there before the elves and even before the trees. Makes sense that he's some kind of spirit of the earth, especially when you consider that he's married to what I would guess is a river spirit.

Potential Stupid Question: Jurassic Park is to scary/violent to show a 3 1/2 year old, right? I ask because he saw my copy on the shelf and now he won't quit about it. Also, it's one of my favorite movies so I may be numb to any horror or extreme violence . and am remembering the movie as something fun rather than scarring. Like, from my memory, it's no worst than Star Wars or Who Framed Roger Rabbit...though Jet hides during the Dip scene in Roger Rabbit.

Thoughts? It's probably going to be a 'Yeeeeh, no' but I figured I would check.

GasBandit

Staff member
Potential Stupid Question: Jurassic Park is to scary/violent to show a 3 1/2 year old, right? I ask because he saw my copy on the shelf and now he won't quit about it. Also, it's one of my favorite movies so I may be numb to any horror or extreme violence . and am remembering the movie as something fun rather than scarring. Like, from my memory, it's no worst than Star Wars or Who Framed Roger Rabbit...though Jet hides during the Dip scene in Roger Rabbit.

Get a Denver the Last Dinosaur dvd and put it in the Jurassic Park case.

I would say probably a little too intense in some parts for the age, especially since he hides during the Dip scene in RR. The toilet scene might have some impact on using the toilet since you have said that Jet has a very active imagination. It's your call though, just giving my opinion.

North_Ranger

Staff member

I saw it when it came out. I was 10. And I still had to squeeze Mom's hand every now and then, particularly the raptor scenes.

Yeah... you might want to wait a little longer, quoth the guy with no kids.

The kid needs to learn not to play God!

[DOUBLEPOST=1352329264][/DOUBLEPOST]Well I know what movie I'm watching tonight.

Just be careful and don't let THIS happen to you:
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/999604/fire-starter
(Can't embed collegehumor, sorry)

Potential Stupid Question: Jurassic Park is to scary/violent to show a 3 1/2 year old, right?
I would wait until at least age 5. My niece saw it at age 5, and in the scene where the T-rex eats the lawyer, they asked her if she found that at all objectionable, and she simply replied, "Rarrs* gotta eat."

--Patrick
*Her 5yr-old word for dinosaurs.

Also make sure that if he watches anything gorey that he watch while in at least upper Elementary school. That's when I was able to handle it.

Does anyone else wonder if they went through all the colors before realize that green/blue were the best colors for screen effects? I just imagine some film people going through at least 50 colors before they could find out what works.

And then there is the blue/black screen on the "Line" channel on all TVs. You never see a red-screen line channel, or a yellow screen line channel, just black or blue.

Does anyone else wonder if they went through all the colors before realize that green/blue were the best colors for screen effects? I just imagine some film people going through at least 50 colors before they could find out what works.
Are you aware that TV/Film images are just combinations of Red/Green/Blue light? I ask because growing up the resolution was so low that you could easily see the three pixels on the TV screen, now with the high resolution I can't make them out anymore.

Are you aware that TV/Film images are just combinations of Red/Green/Blue light? I ask because growing up the resolution was so low that you could easily see the three pixels on the TV screen, now with the high resolution I can't make them out anymore.
Oh yeah! RGB, the three basic colors for viewing on screens or human sight. Which is funny because in color mixing its RYB, when in the light spectrum its only 2/3rds true. MICKEE KNOWS STUFF!

But why green for the green screen? Is it a light thing too?

Oh yeah! RGB, the three basic colors for viewing on screens or human sight. Which is funny because in color mixing its RYB, when in the light spectrum its only 2/3rds true. MICKEE KNOWS STUFF!

But why green for the green screen? Is it a light thing too?
1) There is a difference between additive and subtractive color. That is why the primary additive colors are RGB and the subtractive colors are RYB (well, not really...actually they are MYC. Magenta is not-quite-red, and Cyan is not-quite-blue, which is why the primary subtractive colors are actually CMYK).

2) You can key just about any color you want, you just have to make sure nothing else in the scene is using the same color, or else you will get "holes." That's why you'll hear older people call it "bluescreen" instead of "greenscreen," because originally it was more common to use a shade of blue. The short answer for "Why green/blue?" is because green/blue are less likely to conflict with skin tone (which is reddish).

--Patrick

1) There is a difference between additive and subtractive color. That is why the primary additive colors are RGB and the subtractive colors are RYB (well, not really...actually they are MYC. Magenta is not-quite-red, and Cyan is not-quite-blue, which is why the primary subtractive colors are actually CMYK).
CMYK is what they use for printers right? I remember reading that in my art book.

Yup. Ink works by absorbing/removing some light and reflecting the rest (subtractive), while CRT/LCD screens work by varying the intensity of multicolored pixels (additive).

--Patrick

If you watch an un-updated version of The Empire Strikes back, you can see the blue half of the badges that the Imperial bridge crew wear, turn black and show stars when they stand with their backs to the star field.

GasBandit

Staff member
If you watch an un-updated version of The Empire Strikes back, you can see the blue half of the badges that the Imperial bridge crew wear, turn black and show stars when they stand with their backs to the star field.
Somewhere on VHS, I still have the version that shows Luke skywalker's head bounce back up from the trampoline he hit after flipping off a platform.

fade

Staff member
If you see the set stills from Empire, there's just an old mattress under him in the Cloud City finale.

Is there a point to liking/hating Apple/Microsoft exclusively any more? We all know the whole shebang is generally owned by Bill Gates, and we all know that the latest products they make aren't even close to being as good as they should be. The technology for the perfect PC was probably made years ago, but as long as Microsoft and Apple are the big names it won't be released. I know this has probably been said a billion times before but fleh, just felt like typing it anyway.

Yes. Mostly based on the type of people who purchase those products.
I can't stand most fans of One Piece, but that ain't stopping me from liking it. A fan-base does not sway my hatred, and my hatred for the two big computer companies is generally equal.

Is it weird that I'm 22 and yet mentally I feel the same as when I was 18? I feel...unfulfilled.

It's one of those affectionate days for me so...sorry, but I just want to give everyone a virtual hug and kiss!! And to wish them a happy day. :)

You know what's always hilarious? When someone says something is awful and their only reason is that its "overrated". And when you ask them to elaborate, they just say its over-rated AGAIN! Its this kind of lazy criticism that makes me feel confident in my own intelligence.