So...the way I'm looking at the comic is that the character isn't so much overweight, but insecure with her body since she doesn't resemble a stick. I don't know why people would give the artist such crap over her not being fat enough. There are plenty of people of all sizes who are not confident when it comes to their looks and have body image issues.

Cajungal

Staff member
It hours later and I'm still pissed off over this fat chick/skinny chick thing.

I bet the people flaming Mr. Jeph are th same ones that accuse every thin girl of having an eating disorder.

Fuck. I'm having a bad time here tonight.

Surprising, I went to Weight Watchers and that cheered me up. You ever want to see some body positive people? Go to a weight waters meeting. Those women (and some dudes) are happy with any improvement and accepting of any size. I thought it would be like going on a 'thinspiration' tumblr....but nah. Nothing like that.
I can't "like" on Tapatalk, so I'll just say I like all your comments. And although I had bad luck with WW ultimately, I'm glad you had a good experience there. They really do help a lot of people to set *realistic* goals and stay positive. :)

Apparently General Patton had a squeaky cartoonish voice. Reality is a strange strange place.
So did Lincoln. His voice was described as "shrill" at times, which is completely at odds with the booming fatherly voice we often see him portrayed with. That's all the more reason I'm interested to see Daniel Day Lewis' upcoming take on him.

So...the way I'm looking at the comic is that the character isn't so much overweight, but insecure with her body since she doesn't resemble a stick. I don't know why people would give the artist such crap over her not being fat enough. There are plenty of people of all sizes who are not confident when it comes to their looks and have body image issues.
That wasn't the reason why Jeph's on a short hiatus, by the way. (EDIT: Which you and LS already knew, good.)

I think the guy was just biatching because the character had notoriously low self-esteem and poor body image issues. Thing is, the one time we saw her all dressed up, several other cast members commented on how good she looked.

I agree: People are idiots.

I'll admit to not being a fan of Questionable Content, but I feel for the creator. I've dealt with massive freak-outs like this before and it ain't no picnic.

To combo-break this argument...

I've been hired on with Chapters (Canadian chain of book stores).

It's a job, for now, until I hear back from the community college about the Human Services program.

GasBandit

Staff member
To combo-break this argument...

It's a job, for now, until I hear back from the community college about the Human Services program.
I was going to give you grief about how the internet is coming a step closer every day to putting your new employer out of business...

...and then I remembered I work in radio.

It hours later and I'm still pissed off over this fat chick/skinny chick thing.

I bet the people flaming Mr. Jeph are th same ones that accuse every thin girl of having an eating disorder.

Fuck. I'm having a bad time here tonight.

Surprising, I went to Weight Watchers and that cheered me up. You ever want to see some body positive people? Go to a weight waters meeting. Those women (and some dudes) are happy with any improvement and accepting of any size. I thought it would be like going on a 'thinspiration' tumblr....but nah. Nothing like that.
I had the opposite experience like 7 or 8 years ago when I was pushing 300 pounds. My second meeting I had only lost 1 and a half pounds or so, the woman who weighed me was not kind about it.

Never went back.

At least books still have mileage on them...

...unlike movie rentals. God, I still miss Blockbuster.
I don't think Chapters is in any danger. I know the local Chapters here is always buzzing every time I go there anyway.

Apparently, our Blockbuster was doing gangbusters business too being the only game in town shortly before the US Blockbusters liquidated Blockbusters Canada. I too miss a place to rent blu-rays.

ThatNickGuy - I don't think I could ever miss a Brick & Mortar rental store or even owning many physical copies of movies anymore. Ever since I got a few TB of hard drive space, there's zero reason for it anymore. I use HDMI to set-up my TV as a second monitor and we all watch movies straight from the hard drive at 1080p Blu-Ray quality.

I once was obssessed with creating a huge video collection, that I could display and admire. One day I just realized it was eating up space on my wall and those all could be sold and the money put to better use. I haven't bought a physical copy of a movie since and there's been zero interruption in ever wanting to watch something instantly or on demand. My internet connection is fast enough if I don't already own a movie, I can have a full 1080p version downloaded in the time it ever would have taken to drive down to a brick & mortar store and back. Yet it'd be cheaper (no gas cost) and in the meantime I do something productive like make a pizza for everyone or something to accompany the movie we're going to watch.

I just can't see a reason for missing Blockbuster/Hollywood Video etc anymore other than nostalgia of a harder/more difficult time.

ThatNickGuy - I don't think I could ever miss a Brick & Mortar rental store or even owning many physical copies of movies anymore. Ever since I got a few TB of hard drive space, there's zero reason for it anymore. I use HDMI to set-up my TV as a second monitor and we all watch movies straight from the hard drive at 1080p Blu-Ray quality.

I once was obssessed with creating a huge video collection, that I could display and admire. One day I just realized it was eating up space on my wall and those all could be sold and the money put to better use. I haven't bought a physical copy of a movie since and there's been zero interruption in ever wanting to watch something instantly or on demand. My internet connection is fast enough if I don't already own a movie, I can have a full 1080p version downloaded in the time it ever would have taken to drive down to a brick & mortar store and back. Yet it'd be cheaper (no gas cost) and in the meantime I do something productive like make a pizza for everyone or something to accompany the movie we're going to watch.

I just can't see a reason for missing Blockbuster/Hollywood Video etc anymore other than nostalgia of a harder/more difficult time.

Where are you getting your 1080p quality movies from? Maybe the USA has different options but we are screwed in Canada for online HD content. It either isn't true 1080p (720p doesn't count) and often simply has craptastic stereo sound instead of glorious 7.1 audio.

Seriously, our Netflix is garbage quality and everything I've ever "rented" from Shaw cable, Telus or iTunes has not been up to par with the quality you get on a physical blu-ray disc.

I have a kick ass dedicated home theatre room with a solid sound setup and giant TV. When I watch a movie I want good quality... not good enough.

I suspect Nick is like me too and also simply misses browsing through everything that Blockbuster had to offer.

I had the opposite experience like 7 or 8 years ago when I was pushing 300 pounds. My second meeting I had only lost 1 and a half pounds or so, the woman who weighed me was not kind about it.

Never went back.
That's so sad!

I only lost a little over 1 pound and the lady was very kind and congratulated me! She actually made me feel like I accomplished something.

My reasons I still frequent my local Family Video? (Aside from being unable to convince my parents to try Netflix)

1.) Games. There is no rental service for games comparable to Netflix's streaming service and Gamefly still takes days to get to your door (not to mention they are notorious for running out of popular titles fast). If I want to rent a video game, I still have to go to Family Dollar or Redbox to get it, especially if it's a new release. Though I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep renting from Family Dollar if they are going to keep charging me a 20 buck deposit on certain new titles.

2.) Imports. My Family Dollar is pretty awesome about getting weird or awesome import movies. I'd never have seen Big Man Japan, 1912, or dozens of imported Japanese horror films without them. They also get tons of Bollywood.

The brick and mortar store is going to stay around until someone gets a streaming gaming service onto Xbox Live and PSN. OnLive proved that companies would be willing to get in on it, but until you can get it on a major console, it's just not going to take off.

The other problem I'm running into with Netflix, aside from quality, is the limited time some things have. Just recently, I wanted to start watching Sons of Anarchy. I even had it in my instant que for when such a time would occur. And now it's gone. And I have a cap on how much I can download.

But I'm the same way Gilgamesh. I have a 1.5 TB portable drive with a crap load of movies, shows, documentaries, and cartoons. Most of my collection are ones that used to be on my shelves, either in VHS or DVD form. But the majority of them, I just don't need all the bells and whistles of special features, just the movie. The studios have more than gotten my money from most of my collection, since I've seen them in theatres, rented them a gazillion times, bought many of them (VHS, DVD, some BluRay), etc. And I'm tired of moving from format to format when I don't give a rats ass about special features. For some movies, like anything by Pixar or the Marvel movies, it's definitely worth it to get the BluRay. Everything else? Screw it.

But yeah, Ash is right. I miss game rentals. When I worked at Blockbuster, I got to try a lot of games I ordinarily wouldn't try. I also miss just perusing the shelves and spotting something interesting or something I hadn't seen in a long time. This sometimes works with Netflix, but cripes, the ratio of crap to great leans very strongly on the crap side.

Right now, "legally obtaining" something online is the best, fastest, most reliable service. I don't do it for games, partly because I don't think you really can (at least for PS3) and partly because games is where I won't pirate.

High-speed internet has not reached every spot in the country, by the bye.

There are people in my area who basically live off of satellite TV and rentals from the local Family Video.

Family Video really is the king of the video store right now. They have half price memberships (It's like 10 bucks for a month), tons of free rental promotions, are great about getting in new games and movies, and even the normal video rentals are cheap. They also pick great locations... ours is right by the lower income neighborhood and it has 2 food places within 50 yards. It's basically my one stop shop for a depressing Friday night.

My question to you guys who are keeping movies on large hard drives... what kind of sound do you have encoded in these files? I'm guessing you only have basic stereo (which sucks when you have a kick ass sound system). Most people I know that keep movies on hard drives have awful sound and don't even have basic 5.1 surround on these movies anymore. Do the new HD video codecs even have the capability to save high quality 5.1/7.1 audio tracks?

1080p resolution video is only one half of the coin here... beautiful rich well designed sound is just as important.

High-speed internet has not reached every spot in the country, by the bye.

There are people in my area who basically live off of satellite TV and rentals from the local Family Video.
It's never going to unless the government subsidizes the entire thing... and that raises all kinds of other issues. It's entirely more likely that your going to have to wait for fast, cheap, high quality wireless access.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have yet to hear a 5.1 or 7.1 setup that didn't irritate the hell out of me. Stereo is fine, it just needs to be high quality, non-compressed audio. Which unfortunately isn't usually the case.

It's not a bad place to work. I worked at the one in Kingston, ON for 3 years and I found that Chapters had a really good corporate attitude about taking care of their people. Are you working a specific section or are you a floater?

Right now, I'm working the VERY early morning shift, moving product and such to the floor. 5 AM to 1 PM. For now, anyway. And it's seasonal, though there's a good chance of continuing after Christmas.

Hmmm, Yoshimickster is an anagram of Sticky Heroism.

Dun dun dun!1![DOUBLEPOST=1351911531][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's not a bad place to work. I worked at the one in Kingston, ON for 3 years and I found that Chapters had a really good corporate attitude about taking care of their people. Are you working a specific section or are you a floater?
Did you go to Queens?