The HR people dropped off the new legally required signs for 2020. Instead of having a smoking area, now it's a "Smoking and Vaping" area. We truly are in the future.

I need to find something to do with myself. I just spent the last half hour listening to instrumental metal and reading debates about how tall Warhammer 40K Primarchs are.

In Canada we have commercials for a store called Winners that feature the same cast of characters in an office. I find them to be more believable than most serious drama shows on television right now.

Then there's all the damned paperwork to sign/initial... I actually had a hand cramp during one session, but it had been a rough day too.
They spelled my name wrong on my mortgage. So not only did I have to sign every page, everywhere that my name appeared, I also had to correct the spelling and then initial that, too.

--Patrick

Well...yes and no. It's a tradition going back several centuries. Despite what some media are claiming now, though, there were never hundreds of cats being killed. The idea of using so many only goes back to the 1930s, when they were already made of celluloid (they are now stuffed). The cats were examinators for the city, and each year none, one, two or three were thrown off the tower. The number somehow signaled lean/plentiful years, though it isn't entirely clear how this was determined.
Anyway, the cats often survived the throwing - it didn't used to be done from the bellfry, but from the church, which is quite a bit lower.
Yes, it's an old and somewhat cruel tradition, and has been updated almost a century ago. It's not exactly celebrating the killing of cats these days (it never really did), but quite the opposite, celebrating the cat and its importance to people.
We - and all people everywhere - have lots of traditions involving animals that don't conform to modern day sensibilities about animal cruelty.
Another city in Flanders, Geraardsbergen, for example, has a tradition dating back to pre-Christian times (yes, seriously and honestly - it's been noted down by the Romans!) which involves some of the town magistrates drinking a cup of wine with a live fish in it. That still continues to this day.
You won't hear me saying I'm a huge fan of all of these sorts of traditions, but if they've been adapted and updated to a form where no animals are hurt? I really don't see the problem with them. Destroying ancient traditions and cultural heritage for no good reason is itself also pretty horrible. Compare and contrast bull fighting, which I'm seriously opposed to, considering it still kills hundreds of bulls a year with no end in sight, while it IS perfectly possible to hold a bullfight where no bulls get hurt (though even those are iffy).

Dave

Staff member
Just downloaded an app for my iPhone called SkyView Lite. Basically it uses your positioning and camera to be able to look at the various celestial bodies. Like, I can hold the phone to the floor and see where in the relative position to myself the International Space Station is in real time. (As of this writing it's off the coast of Australia.)

It's a very cool and free app. There is a pay version but I don't know what that adds. Worth a download.

I have a weird job.

I've had a male congregant in hospital, not actively on the way out, but fading since before Christmas, and not expected to go home. Ever. Possibly to a nursing home. Maybe.
A couple of weeks ago, his wife got an infection, and the drugs for that made other things worse. She ends up in emerg yesterday (which happened to be when I was in visiting him, which also happened to be the best I've seen him in months), so I go and see her too. She doesn't look great, but not horrendous either.
Get a call today that she's not expected to last the night.
Arrive at the hospital, she's been admitted from emerg to the same unit as him, so he can visit her easier. He's sitting in his wheelchair, at her bedside holding her hand and not taking his eyes off her (She's asleep/unconscious). He's generally not particularly lucid (he had a stroke a number of years ago, she's been his sole caregiver ever since), and generally converses exclusively in single syllables. But he has always lit up when he sees her or hears her voice. They've been married for 67 years.
His son asks him, "what do you think of mom?" The answer? "I think she's great, I'm sure going to miss her."

Fuck.

I was fine until that point, but that required tissues for me.

I'm going to miss her too.

I've been expecting to get a call to do his funeral for 2+ years. I don't want to do hers. She was always poorly/sickly, but never severely so. She always made me tea whenever I visited, never let me help (even when she probably should have), and often had baked goods available as well. And apologized when she had to switch from homemade to store bought, because it was too exhausting for her to cook and bake anymore.

Bah. I do much better at the emotional bits of this work when I have time to prepare.

I have a weird job.

I've had a male congregant in hospital, not actively on the way out, but fading since before Christmas, and not expected to go home. Ever. Possibly to a nursing home. Maybe.
A couple of weeks ago, his wife got an infection, and the drugs for that made other things worse. She ends up in emerg yesterday (which happened to be when I was in visiting him, which also happened to be the best I've seen him in months), so I go and see her too. She doesn't look great, but not horrendous either.
Arrive at the hospital, she's been admitted from emerg to the same unit as him, so he can visit her easier. He's sitting in his wheelchair, at her bedside holding her hand and not taking his eyes off her (She's asleep/unconscious). He's generally not particularly lucid (he had a stroke a number of years ago, she's been his sole caregiver ever since), and generally converses exclusively in single syllables. But he has always lit up when he sees her or hears her voice. They've been married for 67 years.
His son asks him, "what do you think of mom?" The answer? "I think she's great, I'm sure going to miss her."

Fuck.

I've been expecting to get a call to do his funeral for 2+ years. I don't want to do hers. She was always poorly/sickly, but never severely so. She always made me tea whenever I visited, never let me help (even when she probably should have), and often had baked goods available as well. And apologized when she had to switch from homemade to store bought, because it was too exhausting for her to cook and bake anymore.

Bah. I do much better at the emotional bits of this work when I have time to prepare.
I... I need the hug reaction back.

Just downloaded an app for my iPhone called SkyView Lite. Basically it uses your positioning and camera to be able to look at the various celestial bodies. Like, I can hold the phone to the floor and see where in the relative position to myself the International Space Station is in real time. (As of this writing it's off the coast of Australia.)

It's a very cool and free app. There is a pay version but I don't know what that adds. Worth a download.
I use that app to help with Milky Way photography when I don’t want to wait for my eyes to adjust. It’s awesome :)

I can hear a coworker of mine yelling about something from the break room. I happen to know that the thing he's yelling about is highly confidential. And if I can hear him, I know half the office can hear him too.

As it happens, our CEO's office is basically right next to the break room.

I foresee someone getting a bollocking soon.

I mean, I can sympathize with him. From the sound of things, some clients are being really unreasonable, and god knows I've wanted to rant about clients' bullshittery often enough. But still, c'mon man, have some common sense.

I have a weird job.

Fuck.

And, she's gone. Service will be early next week.

I have no idea what's going to happen to the husband.

I would like to take this opportunity to declare my love for @Vero. After 25 years, she still is the love of my life and she is as beautiful as the day I met her. As the poet says, she is the woman who feels what i'm feeling, and she is bleeding from my own wound. She has just the shape of my life and the measure of my thought. When I cry she is the tears, when I'm quiet she is my silence and when I sing she is the song. When I trust she is my faith, when I wait she is my hope and when I live she is the heart.

I would like to take this opportunity to declare my love for @Vero. After 25 years, she still is the love of my life and she is as beautiful as the day I met her. As the poet says, she is the woman who feels what i'm feeling, and she is bleeding from my own wound. She has just the shape of my life and the measure of my thought. When I cry she is the tears, when I'm quiet she is my silence and when I sing she is the song. When I trust she is my faith, when I wait she is my hope and when I live she is the heart.
Get a room already!
I’m just teasing, I know you already have a room.