GasBandit

Staff member
I've thought quite a few times that I should do the same, but I don't wanna go back on pills >_< though really, with all the vitamins I have to take now and for the rest of my life, what would one more really be...

https://i.redd.it/470e98ri7pd41.jpg

What do the non-English bits say?
"A friend in the US received this letter about the corona virus, sent from the school to parents. At the end of the letter, it said:

(the English bits)

Everyone can get sick, therefore don't isolate Chinese people and any people you believe are connected to China over this issue. Moreover, don't discriminate against sick people, because this will make the sick people feel ashamed of their illness, causing them to hide their sickness, and not protect others. We are protecting ourselves against the virus, not Chinese people. The greater the time of emergency, the more we need calmness, rationality, humanity, and unity."

As a side note, speaking as someone who reads English written by Chinese-speaking people on a daily basis, there is a 0% chance that letter actually came from a US school, and it was 100% written by a Chinese person.

That’s a scary Reddit page. I was very afraid to be candid about my health issues at work for the longest time. I’m very lucky now. My boss is cool and she asks me candid, but not rude questions and she’s not afraid of my answers. She also doesn’t treat me like I’m broken. I really appreciate it.

I’ve had the whole range from horrible harassment and mocking to super patronizing “I envision your recovery going like this....and you easing back into things like this...” and this guy telling me how it would be and benching me partially after my doctors had cleared me. I’m ill, not broken.

Dave

Staff member
I think today is the end of an era for me. I have deactivated my booking site for my comedy.

I've been doing comedy since 1992 or so. Around 1994 I started getting some pub locally and was getting gigs booked farther and farther away from my home. I was getting calls from agents and I was asked to open for a couple comedians who are middle to big in the late 90's early 2000's. But I had gotten married in 1993 and had two small children. At that time I had to make a choice: do I keep going with being a road-dog comic or do I dial it back and concentrate on my family? Obviously I chose family. I do not regret this choice so don't think I'm complaining, but had I done that I might have had money now but rather doubt I'd still be married. A few years ago after the kids were older I got back into it and have achieved if not a living by doing it, at least a modest side-gig that has served me well. But comedy is a young person's game. It's a game for people who have that drive and need for the spotlight. I just don't have that killer instinct any more.

I have nothing booked right now, mostly because every time something comes up I sigh and write back that I'm busy that date because I just don't want to do it. Once I'm on stage it all washes away and I love it, but the before and after just sucks. The preparation, the rehearsing, the writing...it's all so draining. So that's it. Aside from an occasional one-off DJ gig that might fall into my lap (like the one in Shelby, Iowa in June), I'm not accepting any more gigs. My weekends will be free and I will never be "that old guy" sitting in the corner at a club. I'm out. Peace, fuckers.

Did you safely avoid the local weirdos and pests outside our office?

Was your coworker appropriately grossed out that this shit pit is a professional office?

Most of you know my favorite superhero is Superman. But I don't often talk about my second favorite: DAREDEVIL. I'm watching season 3 of the Netflix show and godDAMN, it's great. But it made me realize something: Matt Murdock is a fascinating, broken character.

I know a lot of his backstory is from a hodgepodge of various creative team retcons, but consider this:

He's the son of a boxer and a nun. Mom had severe postpartum depression, so Dad leaves with son. Mom goes back to the church. Dad killed because he didn't throw a fight.

Kid grows up in an orphanage, unknowingly raised by his mother. Grows up to be a blind lawyer. Constantly at odds with Irish Catholic upbringing. Constant internal battles of morality.

Even without the superhero aspect, that is a fucking INTERESTING character.

I haven't thought about Daredevil as much in recent years because I haven't kept up on the comics after Waid's run. Maybe it's time I fix that.

Last edited:
Even without the superhero aspect, that is a fucking INTERESTING character.

I haven't thought about Daredevil as much in recent years because I haven't kept up on the comics after Waid's run. Maybe it's time I fix that.
Well you could do a lot worse, that’s for sure.
But I agree that DD is an interesting (and underused) character.

—Patrick

I'm so fucking sick of saying this, but maybe one of these phrasings will lead to some good advice.

Do any of you people have any idea of what I should do to break out of this Groundhog's Day Loop?

Welcome to the worst year ever. We'll get through together....or not. Everything's so dumb, dumb, dumb, da dumb dumb. Da dumb, dumb. Da, dumba dumba. Everything's so dumb and it's going to get dumber.

I missed some of the dumb dumb dumbs.

figmentPez

Staff member
Wait, the scampering has lawyers? @Emrys has been hiding her most dangerous weapon.

I was was scared before, but legal action is so much more terrifying than a slow death.

A female acquaintance of ours fell for an online romance scam, in which she was taken in by a scammer's fake picture and sweet words, and was almost tricked into sending him money. It's a good thing she was stopped before actually sending anything.

We noticed, however, that the language the scammer used was very similar to the kind of stuff I say to my wife on an everyday basis. The kind of sweet nothings that apparently some women fall for easily, making them willing to do stuff like fall in love and send money. I don't really think about saying these things, and I don't deliberately say them to be mushy or to compel my wife to do stuff, it just comes naturally to me.

Anyway, TIL I was born with the ability to be a good romance scammer.

A female acquaintance of ours fell for an online romance scam, in which she was taken in by a scammer's fake picture and sweet words, and was almost tricked into sending him money. It's a good thing she was stopped before actually sending anything.

We noticed, however, that the language the scammer used was very similar to the kind of stuff I say to my wife on an everyday basis. The kind of sweet nothings that apparently some women fall for easily, making them willing to do stuff like fall in love and send money. I don't really think about saying these things, and I don't deliberately say them to be mushy or to compel my wife to do stuff, it just comes naturally to me.

Anyway, TIL I was born with the ability to be a good romance scammer.
You mean, "I'm a true romantic at heart, with the ability to feel what women want, and show my compassion and attention through words, if not actions."

Well, it was that, or make a Cyrano joke, and it's early morning so I went with the nicer option ;)