Eventually. Self-driving cars haven't put in enough miles to really show a big difference yet, BUT it is only the beginning and bound to improve. Additionally, there is no question that humans are terrible drivers on average, so the bar is actually pretty low.

Eventually. Self-driving cars haven't put in enough miles to really show a big difference yet, BUT it is only the beginning and bound to improve. Additionally, there is no question that humans are terrible drivers on average, so the bar is actually pretty low.
Self driving forklifts have!

But I digress, a guy at work was holding court on the Canadian tax system, he had claimed one victim and moved on to me. So I used my superior asshole skills and dispatched him with "I don't talk to my with wife (chartered accountant 20+ yrs) about how to do your job."

Case closed.

Additionally, there is no question that humans are terrible drivers on average, so the bar is actually pretty low.
I think it was CGP Grey who said "People don't want a self-driving car as good (terrible) as them, they want a self-driving car as good as a horse." The horse will get you home, and not hit things, etc. (Look up "Humans need not apply" on youtube for a great video on this topic btw)

Imperfect example, but I always liked it.

figmentPez

Staff member
Think about how many types of accidents that cannot happen when a well designed automated system is in place:
- rear ending because of poor reaction times (hell, if cars are networked, they'll be able to avoid accidents like this in ways no human ever could)
- failure to yield right of way or obey other traffic laws
- falling asleep at the wheel
- distracted driving (which causes nearly 1% of all motor vehicle deaths)
- "road rage" or other aggressive driving

According to this list of the top 15 causes of automobile accidents, 9 are human error.

I'm not sure what types of accidents people are expecting automated driving systems to make that humans don't. I doubt humans are better at driving on ice, though maybe they are in the rain; how good are sensors at seeing through the rain? Probably better than humans, if they're done right. Like, I'm really struggling to think of anything about driving that humans are definitively better at than automated systems.

At this point humans do almost everything better... when not talking, texting or drinking. Automated systems are getting better, but still can't out think a sober, experienced driver.

Wasn't it google that cut the number of sensors on their car, and killed that pedestrian?

At this point humans do almost everything better... when not talking, texting or drinking. Automated systems are getting better, but still can't out think a sober, experienced driver.

Wasn't it google that cut the number of sensors on their car, and killed that pedestrian?
It wasn't Google, but there were so many things that went wrong there, one of them being the human driver that was supposed to be actually paying attention was not.

No, it will be similar to John Deere, where you own the vehicle but not the OS.
I'm referring to the folks who will play the vehicles' AI against itself to get the vehicles to do things they're not supposed to by altering signs, painting fake lane markers, etc.

--Patrick

Canadian doctors have completed their study and published their findings.

There are no benefits and many adverse effects for mothers to eat their placentas.

Thank you social media celebrities for starting this fad.

I'm sure that comparing "all cars are controlled by humans" vs "all cars are controlled by computers" is no contest in favor of the computer.
"All cars are controlled by sober, awake, alert, properly trained and focused humans" vs "half of all cars are controlled by computers, the other half by humans who don't know how an AI will respond, who deliberately break or flaunt the rules, who will troll the AI to force an accident to be able to sue, etc etc" might be closer - though I'd still wager more people'd die in cars controlled by humans than by AI...Though that won't be what it's portrayed as in the media.

The capacity for big car/AI developers to control media reporting on the cars will be more important in launching AI controlled cars than the actual driving qualities of said cars.

figmentPez

Staff member
This statement needs a huge asterisk. *When using sensors and processing power that can be put into a production model car in 2019.

15 years ago automated cars were struggling to navigate an empty desert. A dozen years ago the most advanced automated cars were struggling to navigate simulated urban environments. Now we've got automated systems that can rival human drivers for most tasks. Imagine where we'll be in twenty years, because this issue can't just be about what's possible now, it has to be planning for the future.

Self driving trucks are going to happen, and it's going to have a huge impact on the economy. Same goes for self driving delivery vehicles, self driving cabs, and more.

"But Robots will never replace..." bull-fucking-shit they won't. The hardware is ready, and the software is in nearly ready for dozens of jobs. There's no logical expectation for these developments to stall out or fail. All that remains is for these machines to drop in price enough to cost less than the equivalent human. And when they do, it's going to be an economic upheaval that snowballs. "But won't it be great when everyone owns a robot assistant?" You think the average person is going to own a robot? Nah, robots are going to be rented (in fact if not in name).

Sorry, got off the subject of cars. But, yeah, completely self driving semi-trucks within a dozen years, easily. The only thing holding them back is legislation (or fear of it). Consumer cars that are completely automatic? Not if the auto industry can figure out how to switch people over to a subscription model.

When I program, I listen to really odd stuff. Like, a lot of darker, ambient music. I favor stuff that includes random, meaningless spoken word or vocal passages, especially if it's creepy.

Today I realized that I would fully listen to a station that was nothing but tuning between snippets of insane talk radio from throughout the decades. Just surreal bits of everything, with no context, with or without music. Religion. Conspiracy theories. News. Just blurbs of someone's reality in a constant stream without any tether.

My brain is a real weird place sometimes.

I don't get it. Someone clogged a toilet at work and flooded the restroom. I don't get it, this is a professional building, with rather high standards of who we hire... This ain't some fast food place.

I don't get it. Someone clogged a toilet at work and flooded the restroom. I don't get it, this is a professional building, with rather high standards of who we hire... This ain't some fast food place.
I SO feel you. We have drawers clearly labeled with what equipment/tools/etc are supposed to be in each one, yet for some reason we also have to have someone scheduled every day to go through them all and make sure everything is in the right drawer and not just all jammed into whichever one is closest.

@GasBandit Don’t you still have one weekend of “On Call” left to get through?

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
If you were driving through Omaha today heading into Iowa, I sure hope you missed out on this accident...