I went clothes shopping so I could look more sharp for my new job. I could not find anything that fit, so I bought a lot of kitchen gadgets. And the French Press was broken... :(

I went clothes shopping so I could look more sharp for my new job. I could not find anything that fit, so I bought a lot of kitchen gadgets. And the French Press was broken... :(
I take it that all the clothes were too big for you, so you're going on a cooking (and eating) binge?

Reactions: Dei
Sometimes I look at some of the girls in my office and wonder how they're not freezing to death. There's this one girl, slim as a rake, and she's dressed in a style I can only describe as "Dukes of Hazzard". I'm wearing long pants and a flannel polo shirt, and I have the advantage of a thick layer of blubber, and even I'm feeling chilly.

Also, that's totally what I'm going to tell HR when they call me in for my meeting. That I was staring at my female coworkers because I was wondering why they're not freezing to death.

Sometimes I look at some of the girls in my office and wonder how they're not freezing to death. There's this one girl, slim as a rake, and she's dressed in a style I can only describe as "Dukes of Hazzard". I'm wearing long pants and a flannel polo shirt, and I have the advantage of a thick layer of blubber, and even I'm feeling chilly.

Also, that's totally what I'm going to tell HR when they call me in for my meeting. That I was staring at my female coworkers because I was wondering why they're not freezing to death.
Considering what it feels like outside of your building, I totally can't blame them.

fade

Staff member
My wife saw the aftermath of one of my worse driving fears on the way home from work. If you've been to Houston you know we have these absurdly high clover leaf ramps on the freeways. A cement truck had a blowout and flipped over the barrier of one of these and exploded when it hit the freeway underneath. Fortunately no one was beneath him, but jeez, that's scary.

GasBandit

Staff member
They just got done ripping out all the cabinets and countertops from our country station studio, and it turns out, written on the underside of one of the counters is the phrase, " what are you doing down here?"[DOUBLEPOST=1441755750,1441755612][/DOUBLEPOST]
0908151841.jpg

They just got done ripping out all the cabinets and countertops from our country station studio, and it turns out, written on the underside of one of the counters is the phrase, " what are you doing down here?"
The person who did that is a person after my own heart.

--Patrick

My wife saw the aftermath of one of my worse driving fears on the way home from work. If you've been to Houston you know we have these absurdly high clover leaf ramps on the freeways. A cement truck had a blowout and flipped over the barrier of one of these and exploded when it hit the freeway underneath. Fortunately no one was beneath him, but jeez, that's scary.
Just adding a link to a story about this, shows the traffic backup that occurred.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ls-and-catches-fire-6491216.php#photo-8597683

I think it's funny that literary agents' form rejection letters are so poorly constructed. I know they don't need to care, but I've noticed that these days they don't actually say they're not interested or passing on a project, they just dive right into an apology and encouragement, as if the actual rejection was already mentioned--only it isn't. And it feels less like being polite and more that they actually forgot to put that first sentence in because it was supposed to be assumed. It's just weird.

I think it's funny that literary agents' form rejection letters are so poorly constructed. I know they don't need to care, but I've noticed that these days they don't actually say they're not interested or passing on a project, they just dive right into an apology and encouragement, as if the actual rejection was already mentioned--only it isn't. And it feels less like being polite and more that they actually forgot to put that first sentence in because it was supposed to be assumed. It's just weird.
Maybe they're taking the hint from college rejection letters.

--Patrick

Maybe they're taking the hint from college rejection letters.

--Patrick
Hi potential student,

Thank you for your interest. The future holds many surprises and we know there's a college out there for you.

Sincerely, the college that isn't for you except we never said that.

Or from rejecting suitors.

"Listen, you're a great guy, and I really do like you, and I'm sure that there's a perfect girl out there just waiting for you. You're going to find your Miss Right, I'm absolutely certain of it. We can still hang out sometimes, with each other, you know?"

Hi potential student,

Thank you for your interest. The future holds many surprises and we know there's a college out there for you.

Sincerely, the college that isn't for you except we never said that.
Colleges do this because if they don't, they have to deal with incessant demands for the standards by which students are judged... and ultimately, some students will meet every measure and STILL be rejected on the basis of availability, special favors, or just plain random chance. The idea that something as important as getting into the best college you qualify for might be total and complete chance, even if you do everything right, is not something you are willing to accept after 18 years of effort. It sort of like what happens when college students realize that only a certain number of students get to be "top of the class" and that this involves a fair amount of chance as well.

It's easier to accept that you were never in the running than be told you didn't get it because they were full. You don't cause troubles if you were never in the running.

They just got done ripping out all the cabinets and countertops from our country station studio, and it turns out, written on the underside of one of the counters is the phrase, " what are you doing down here?"[DOUBLEPOST=1441755750,1441755612][/DOUBLEPOST]View attachment 19146
I've read the stories. This had to have been written by an outsider, because anyone who actually worked there would probably KNOW.

fade

Staff member
The academic job search process is irritating, too. The common practice is to not notify the losers at all. I mean, this is understandable at the first round, but it's even true at the final three, after the candidates have been flown in and interviewed for several days. I've been on the other side, and the feeling is that if you don't say no, you can keep the other two in your back pocket as fallbacks. Meanwhile, they're left to eventually assume they've lost.

Or from rejecting suitors.

"Listen, you're a great guy, and I really do like you, and I'm sure that there's a perfect girl out there just waiting for you. You're going to find your Miss Right, I'm absolutely certain of it. We can still hang out sometimes, with each other, you know?"
Fuck that shit! :mad:

GasBandit

Staff member
I've read the stories. This had to have been written by an outsider, because anyone who actually worked there would probably KNOW.
Well, that station's PD, air staff, and our engineers have all experienced 100% turnover since that counter was installed. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that some previous engineer or jock wrote it 15 years ago and nobody's around now who was there to know about it.

Spider-man, Spider-man,
Does whatever a spider can
Spins a web, any size,
Catches thieves just like flies
Look Out!
Here comes the Spider-man.

Is he strong?
Listen bud,
He's got radioactive blood.
Can he swing from a thread
Take a look overhead
Hey, there