I need (read: want) to get a multi-pet gift for my out-laws' pets--a medium/big active dog and a domestic shorthair cat... But I'm drawing a big blank on what to get. Y'all have any suggestions? I've only ever owned cats, and this dog is a bit too chewy for the unstuffed dog plushies I usually got the last one.
My cats and ferrets both like puzzle mats.

I need (read: want) to get a multi-pet gift for my out-laws' pets--a medium/big active dog and a domestic shorthair cat... But I'm drawing a big blank on what to get. Y'all have any suggestions? I've only ever owned cats, and this dog is a bit too chewy for the unstuffed dog plushies I usually got the last one.
My dogs have always loved treats. Dog cookies, pigs ears, basically anything yummy.

For a story set in Japan, if the Light Music Club's surf guitar combo decided to call themselves The Tsunamis, do you think the school would get upset? Asking for a writer friend.

For a story set in Japan, if the Light Music Club's surf guitar combo decided to call themselves The Tsunamis, do you think the school would get upset? Asking for a writer friend.
A surf guitar group (having it's origins in the spirit of rockabilly, which is ALL about rebellion in Japan due to how it blended with the Kaminari zoku groups of returned WWII vets) would have chosen than name explicitly because of the controversy. However, it would also probably be the MOST (and ONLY) controversial thing about the group. Interestingly, Japanese surf guitar embraced it's Japanese heritage and still has a bit of that sound to it. I kind of dig it. Look up Takeshi Terauchi, he's kind of like a forgotten legend of Japanese music.

Last edited:
The gift Mr. Z ordered for me* from Amazon arrived today. Now there's this big old cardboard box sitting there, taunting me with it's Amazon grin...

...yes, I am the kid that used to hunt for her Christmas presents. Why do you ask?

*not the works of Chuck Tingle.

GasBandit

Staff member
I saw my former Underling #1 at the company christmas party tonight (her mother still works for us, so she came with her). We chatted it up for a bit. I'm a bit relieved to learn she and the meathead she was dating when she worked for me went their separate ways not all that long after she quit. She's with someone new already of course - a catch like her wouldn't stay single long if she didn't want to. Apparently he's a single father of 3. I hope he's got his head screwed on right, because it's gonna be a lot of work for the both of them...

Also I won a google mini home thingy in the white elephant. It's like Alexa, but google. As I already have an android phone I use the google assistant on, I'm not sure how much use this thing can be when I could just use my phone. I suppose the speaker quality is better, so I can use it as a glorified bluetooth speaker - well, wi-fi speaker, really.

I saw my former Underling #1 at the company christmas party tonight (her mother still works for us, so she came with her). We chatted it up for a bit. I'm a bit relieved to learn she and the meathead she was dating when she worked for me went their separate ways not all that long after she quit. She's with someone new already of course - a catch like her wouldn't stay single long if she didn't want to. Apparently he's a single father of 3. I hope he's got his head screwed on right, because it's gonna be a lot of work for the both of them...

Also I won a google mini home thingy in the white elephant. It's like Alexa, but google. As I already have an android phone I use the google assistant on, I'm not sure how much use this thing can be when I could just use my phone. I suppose the speaker quality is better, so I can use it as a glorified bluetooth speaker - well, wi-fi speaker, really.
I got an Alexa for christmas last year. I paired it up with an LED light bulb bluetooth speaker in my basement, so now I can tell it "Alexa, play 70's music" and my basement becomes a disco hall ;) That and being able to scream things to a shopping list is about all I use it for.

Am I being a premadonna if I turn down a short story acceptance? I agreed to no pay on this one because I wanted to help the podcast it's for, but now they're asking if I can alter some stuff in the climax to be less ambiguous when that's part of the story. Three months ago I would've been all "yes, yes, I'll do whatever you want" for exposure, and I don't want to have let previous acceptances go to my head or to be a David Lynch, but I wrote the story to be a mystery and I don't want to make it all obvious when that was never the point.

It's Prima Donna, but other than that, no - artistic integrity is a thing. Some people will change anything on simple request, others will stick to their original style and story come he'll or high water. If you feel it detracts from the story you want to tell, well, it's your story, after all.

*krshk!* Uhhhh, Tower 1, this is Flight Deagle preparing for take off. Do you copy?

*krshk!* 10-4,Flight Deagle, you are cleared for launch.

*krshk!* Copy that, Tower 1. Take off in 5-4-3-2...

Am I being a premadonna if I turn down a short story acceptance? I agreed to no pay on this one because I wanted to help the podcast it's for, but now they're asking if I can alter some stuff in the climax to be less ambiguous when that's part of the story. Three months ago I would've been all "yes, yes, I'll do whatever you want" for exposure, and I don't want to have let previous acceptances go to my head or to be a David Lynch, but I wrote the story to be a mystery and I don't want to make it all obvious when that was never the point.
If it were me, I'd tell them "thank you for your consideration, but I have decided to withdraw my story" and leave it at that.

Harlan Ellison would probably say you should tell them to fuck off, your time is worth money.

Harlan Ellison would probably say you should tell them to fuck off, your time is worth money.
I could neverrr be Harlan Ellison; even if all writers should aim that way. I don't want to burn the bridge, I just think we have different goals in this instance.

If it were me, I'd tell them "thank you for your consideration, but I have decided to withdraw my story" and leave it at that.
I'm waiting on an answer to my protesting their request, but Julie says I should just go with your suggestion, no response needed.

I wouldn't mind contributing to them in the future, but not with this story. I have others that are perfectly obvious about what's happening. I wrote this to be a puzzle. It has to stay a puzzle.

I'm glad. This was reminding me of Squidley's volunteer horror, with her sinking far more time into it than she had intended
I forgot about that! Now I feel even better about this.

What annoys me now is, why did they even say they wanted the story if they just wanted me to change a bunch of it? It doesn't make sense to me.