The Random Crap Thread 2: It Hits the Fan.

Reactions
479 146 3
Not all of them. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Home Alone, etc. Books include the Belgariad, Harry Potter (which KINDA started as a kid's book but morphed very quickly into dark fantasy for more adults), The Chronicles of Narnia. Yes, I know you are going to say the Lewis wrote a YA series, but you have to remember that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is also labeled a YA novel.

The "Kid Hero" trope remains annoying as fuck.
You should be using Ender's Game as your prime example.

Reactions
696 155 1
Anyone else sick and tired of movies and books where kids are the heroes and do all these amazing feats? Kids are fucking stupid, man. They do dumb shit and don't have the physical or mental capacity to be the "chosen one" or hero of the story.
Now that you mention it, this is why I've pretty much given up on anime. I hate that almost everything has teenage protagonists. I can't stand the social and mental ineptitude that plagues anime teens.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
3,161 739 14
Now that you mention it, this is why I've pretty much given up on anime. I hate that almost everything has teenage protagonists. I can't stand the social and mental ineptitude that plagues anime teens.
I feel you so much there. And now that you mention it, all my favoritest anime works all feature adult protagonists (Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, GITS:SAC, OPM, Stien's Gate, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure... ok, Code Geass is a bit of an exception, but most of the ancillary characters there are adults...).

I do like some anime about teens, but generally those are coming-of-age rom-coms and not "hero's journey" epics, so the social/mental ineptitude is usually more believable and less irksome. Like, say, Toradora or Tsuredure children. Those are two good examples of dumb teenager animes that are charming instead of infuriating/exasperating.

Last edited:
Reactions
860 177 3
My favorite characters in Attack on Titan are the adults. (And by that I mean Hange)

My husband commonly refers to Aizawa (MHA) as his spirit animal.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,154 481 7
These guys all lived on their own and traveled around the country. They were in their 20's. I never understood the whole "meddling kids" thing.

figmentPez

Staff member
Reactions
1,334 177 3
These guys all lived on their own and traveled around the country. They were in their 20's. I never understood the whole "meddling kids" thing.
Have you seen the way Boomers talk about Millennials? The youngest millenials are 22, and they still get talked about like they're ignorant children.

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,154 481 7
I know. I fucking hate that. Like when they were young they weren't the scourge of the fucking earth. Mother fucker I grew up with you! Don't act all high & mighty because I know the shit you pulled!

Reactions
860 177 3
I know. I fucking hate that. Like when they were young they weren't the scourge of the fucking earth. Mother fucker I grew up with you! Don't act all high & mighty because I know the shit you pulled!
Gas and I were just discussing how we're old now because teenagers irritate the fuck out of us.

Reactions
292 20 0
Question: Should I adapt Supervillainous into a Middle School-level novel? I've been thinking about doing it for awhile, especially with the comic nearing the end. Plus, if on some long shot I could get it published, it would be really, really cool to see it on the bookshelves of the library in my school.

Reactions
1,299 343 12
I feel your pain.
But apparently it was because the phone people did a study and the calculator people “...always did it that way” (biggest on top).

NOW if only they could agree on exactly where to put the 0, how big the key itself should be, and don’t EVEN get me started on the 00 key or infix v. postfix v. 10-key.

—Patrick

Reactions
196 59 0
Not sure if this is worth a rant so I posted it here, just saw my parents old land lady raking the front lawn, and when I said hi she asked the same "How's your mom doing?" question she asks me every time I meet her instead of explaining what she was doing. I mean, its not like she's hurting anyone but its still WEIRD, especially since I know she wants my parents house back.

Reactions
196 59 0
So basically she's like, "Is your mom dead yet so I can try and buy the house?"
YES-pretty much that! She's just NOT as subtle as she thinks she is, she keeps creeping by the house in her car to rake in front of the lot next door which she owns A LOT-which my parents thought they were ALSO buying, but she lied about it so she could make her own house there. TURNS OUT THOUGH-said lot is too close to water, so she's now been subtley trying to get back my parents house for years to NO avail.

Reactions
696 155 1
YES-pretty much that! She's just NOT as subtle as she thinks she is, she keeps creeping by the house in her car to rake in front of the lot next door which she owns A LOT-which my parents thought they were ALSO buying, but she lied about it so she could make her own house there. TURNS OUT THOUGH-said lot is too close to water, so she's now been subtley trying to get back my parents house for years to NO avail.
I think from now on you should only respond, "Alive and healthy.", just to give her the hint.

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,154 481 7
"They are fine. I'm so excited, though! I just found out they left me the house in their will! I can't wait to raise my family here! I sure hope I can pass it to them some day when I'm older!"

Reactions
247 69 0
Today we painted our living room, demonstrating once again that if you want something well done, you'll have to pay to someone who knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
3,161 739 14
While putting everything to bed tonight at 10pm at the toy drive, it's just me and one other person left, and she's about 19-20.

Her: "I can take care of the rest if you want to head home!"
Me: "Nah, I'll help. I'm in no hurry. Besides, don't want to leave you out here so late all by your lonesome."
Her: "... 'lonesome?'"
Me: "You know, can't have anything untoward happen."
Her: "...'untoward?'... You use a lot of big words."

I didn't think "lonesome" and "untoward" were particularly big words :confused:

Reactions
302 91 0
While putting everything to bed tonight at 10pm at the toy drive, it's just me and one other person left, and she's about 19-20.

Me: "Nah, I'll help. I'm in no hurry. Besides, don't want to leave you out here so late all by your lonesome."

Well, they're certainly not simple.

Reactions
479 146 3

I think it's obvious that what she really meant is that you use a lot of antiquated words, but such a big word is not in her vocabularly so she simply used a common phrase, ignoring its literal meaning, to tell you that you talk funny.

Reactions
479 146 3
Also, I'm guessing she was thinking you'd do something untoward with the two of you left to your lonesome. Does she know about your House of Reprehensible Filth?

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
3,161 739 14
Also, I'm guessing she was thinking you'd do something untoward with the two of you left to your lonesome. Does she know about your House of Reprehensible Filth?
Hah, nooooooo. No no no no no. Nope. No.

It's a good thing I was there though, that night. Somebody used the microwave and the coffee pot at the same time and knocked out the power to half the compound, and I was the only one who knew enough about circuit breakers and fuses to get everything back up and going.