I have two gmail addresses. One of which I pretty much keep logged into my computer as my "main" at all times, but the other one I've had for longer. I had to log in on my other one to my work computer and forgot to log out. The channel recommendations were like a time capsule of the stuff I was into in middle and high school. Stuff I hadn't thought about in years. Pretty cool.

Dave

Staff member
The fix on the car ended up only being $80. Score! So I spent an additional $30 and got 100' of CAT-6 cabling and moved my entire setup down into the basement. This has several advantages and a few disadvantages, but the good outweighs the bad by quite a bit.

Disadvantages:
  • I'm stuck in the basement and will have less interaction with the wife.
  • The bathroom is upstairs so it's going to take longer to go when I'm streaming on Twitch. And this is big because I drink a LOT of water and go frequently.
Advantages:
  • Much more room. I think I might even be able to set up my server now.
  • My chair moves better on concrete than it does on the carpet upstairs, and I'm not gouging huge wheel-shaped furrows in it any more.
  • Quieter. My wife's TV and the computer were in the same room. Frequently when I streamed I bothered her so she'd turn it up. Which made me have to talk louder. Repeat.
  • In the mornings when I would want to get on the computer I couldn't as it would bother the wife. I wake up way before her so this was a problem. No longer.
So this was a good move, I think. Still, I'm going to have to make an effort to keep going upstairs occasionally so we don't go "out of sight out of mind".

To me, “Finance Officer” would be the person who oversees fundraising and acquisition of new capital, while the “Financial Officer” is the one who manages the existing assets, cash reserves, and who decides which projects gain/lose their funding.

—Patrick

But that's Chief Financial Officer, and the "chief" prefix might modify it, because language is weird (especially english).

And i really want to get it right, since the last person to use the time sheets i'm modifying translated what should have been "person responsible for project" (not manager, because that's a neologism we use, and it apparently implies more then just being responsible for the project, even though you're filling the exact same "spot" -it think they're using it to imply you're not qualified to managed the project, and you're just filling in-) to "program responsible"... google translate strikes again...

But that's Chief Financial Officer, and the "chief" prefix might modify it, because language is weird (especially english).

And i really want to get it right, since the last person to use the time sheets i'm modifying translated what should have been "person responsible for project" (not manager, because that's a neologism we use, and it apparently implies more then just being responsible for the project, even though you're filling the exact same "spot" -it think they're using it to imply you're not qualified to managed the project, and you're just filling in-) to "program responsible"... google translate strikes again...
According to Mr. Z, who worked in that sector, says it should be "Financial".

Wife is watching Christmas Chronicles on Netflix and had to stop the movi, cause we pass this place daily. I used to live a 10minute walk from there. And last year, we passed by one day and it was decked out for Christmas and there were tents put up outside it.
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-2.jpg

Obviously, this isn't out of the norm for Toronto. Movies and shoes are filmed here all the time.
They were filming something literally a 1min walk from our house a couple months ago, and one of our favourite brunch places is used in like, everything (They added key lime pie to the menu after so many people asked for it because of Shape of Water). Our house is a stone's throw away from two different studio lots and an effects house.

This is just the first time we saw something being filmed, and ACTUALLY FOUND OUT WHAT IT WAS. (Most of the time its a TV show or movie we never end up watching)

Last edited:
Some online forms are so bizarre.

"This part of your address should be no more than 20 characters."

It's the street name; how am I supposed to shrink it? They should've seen our old address. The street was three words, plus the building number, plus the apartment number. Sheesh.

Some online forms are so bizarre.

"This part of your address should be no more than 20 characters."

It's the street name; how am I supposed to shrink it? They should've seen our old address. The street was three words, plus the building number, plus the apartment number. Sheesh.
My surname is 17 characters, two words (not particularly long by Hispanic standards, tbh). A lot of companies (including banks) didn't account for such silliness when designing their forms or schemas. I've lost count of how many don't allow spaces, or cut off at, say, 15. Part of why my "Aliases" section in government forms is so freaking crowded.

I don’t even have that unusual of a name, it’s just that my first, middle, and last names all use at least 7 or more characters, which tends to overflow the maximum number of characters expected by most systems.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Cat, I don't mind if you are laying on my lap, but I do have rules for you to stay.

1) Quit reaching up slowly to bat at things on my desk. I won't let you pull my mousepad down onto the floor.
2) I'm wearing thin pajama pants, QUIT DIGGING YOUR CLAWS INTO MY LEG!

GasBandit

Staff member
2) I'm wearing thin pajama pants, QUIT DIGGING YOUR CLAWS INTO MY LEG!
Amazon product

This has been a life (and skin, and upholstry) saver for me, with my cat. Just need to trim the claws once every week or two, and not even very much (just enough to get the sharp tips of the claws off) and kitty's kneading becomes a lot more cute and a lot less painful.

Dave

Staff member
We still have boxes in the basement. The cats have learned that cardboard boxes are GREAT for turning claws into implements of death is a day or so.