While I've never seen a city where there was only 1 taxi company
Hello. Yellow Cab was the only cab company here for decades, and they weren't shy about letting you know that. I lost count of how many guests I had to apologize to for them. After many court battles, a new company finally emerged, and became successful enough merely by having decent equipment and respectful employees, they eventually bought out the older company.

For years - if not decades - STITA (Seattle Tacoma International Taxi Association) was the only taxi company allowed to idle their cabs in the pickup/transit areas outside the arrivals lounge at SeaTac. All other companies could service the airport, but you had to call them, and they had to drive out there; or you could just use the STITA that was right there, waiting. And hope they didn't scam you out of all of your money by taking the longest route possible and then, when you got to your destination, claiming that their card reader didn't work, and you'd have to pay cash or they'd call the cops.

LN series WIP...
David is a 15 year old first-year exchange student from West Virginia at X High School. On the way to his first day of school, he rescues a girl from a dangerous fall. She thanks him with a kiss and runs off before he can get her name. At the school opening ceremony, he feels someone grab his hand. He looks to see who it is. It's the same girl. To pile coincidence on coincidence, it turns out she's in the same class as him.

At lunchtime, she's surrounded by boys she doesn't know wanting to get to know her. In a panic, she says "I already have a boyfriend! It's... HIM." HIM is... David. Although taken completely by surprise, it only takes a moment for him to say, "yes. Yes I am."
Technically it *is* an isekai. At least from David's POV. In Another World With My Instant Girfriend.

Every time I see a someone on the news whining about a bad experience with Uber, and how the company shouldn't be able to get away with it, I can't help but shout at the TV.

"You want Regulations? Because that's how you get Regulations!"

"I mean, you chose Uber."

"You want Regulations, take a fucking cab!"

Watching Uber grow is probably a good history lesson on why and how Taxis became regulated.
Hey @Bubble181, which part did you agree with and what did you disagree about?

I dance the dance of where to put my new home desk--on one side of the living area where it's comfortably warm but either too bright or too dark, or one the other side with perfect natural lighting but it's SOOOO cold.

I dance the dance of where to put my new home desk--on one side of the living area where it's comfortably warm but either too bright or too dark, or one the other side with perfect natural lighting but it's SOOOO cold.
If only we lived in the future, when we've conquered the galaxy, or Mars at least, then you could get yourself a space heater.

If only we lived in the future, when we've conquered the galaxy, or Mars at least, then you could get yourself a space heater.
I have a weird phobia about space heaters.

BUT smaller plug-in version is a great idea for fixing the other side of the room's problem--I'll get a table lamp!

You're such a dork.

You should reverse the owl on your other account and see if anyone notices. Or put a goatee on it and tell everyone that's your evil twin.
Which one? I sent both notifications from one account, I assure you. I do have some, but I honestly don't remember which ones are mine and which aren't.

I have thought about this. If I were to have ungodly amounts of money that I could throw at a project for any sort of motor vehicle I wanted, with the condition that it'd have to be a daily driver and it would have to be something older than I was, I would contact ICON4X4 and talk to them about making me a Derelict 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Seville - but Tesla-fied.

GasBandit

Staff member
Signs we're living in the future:

The videostream app for my chromecast has problems with the inconsistent naming conventions of some of my pirate TV shows for older things that I downloaded each episode week by week as it came out (for example, Paranoia Agent or Venture Brothers). Some of them are like "Venture Brothers S01E04" and some are like "Venture Bros" and even others are like "Venture Brothers episode 302"

This causes them to be filed under different things in the media library, or even worse, have each episode get its own entry as if it were a standalone video instead of being sorted among the episodes.

I could go through and rename them one by one to make them consistent...

... but I'm not. That's way too fucking tedious.

Instead, I'm just redownloading each entire complete series via bittorrent to my seedbox, then to my computer, and deleting the old ones. Because that's less work for me.

I mean, also it generally will improve the quality because they'll be blu-ray rips instead of TV captures, but still... I'm basically redownloading dozens of gigs of data because I can't be bothered to rename a few hundred files individually.

I relate in that I've done the same thing for things that have gotten a remaster but lack a good digital version. I receive the "Bounty Hunters Steel" edition of Cowboy Bebop tomorrow, its the first time the entire thing has gotten a remaster, its been weird slowly getting to this point.

Last month my mom helped my daughter get a great head start into cleaning the disaster that is her room. Then my daughter ignored the follow up for a month. So this weekend I told her that if she finished cleaning her room, and could keep it that way until her birthday at the end of January, I would get her a cat for her birthday. (She's turning 13, so I think this is a reasonable bribe, it's well within her capabilities to be responsible for a cat) After I told her this, she literally spent all weekend in her room cleaning. Well, I'm pretty sure a good chunk of that time was her getting distracted by anime and YouTube as well, but considering the attention span of 3/4 of this household, it doesn't surprise me. :p She is actually taking it seriously for now, but we'll see if it lasts another 2 and a half months.

Last month my mom helped my daughter get a great head start into cleaning the disaster that is her room. Then my daughter ignored the follow up for a month. So this weekend I told her that if she finished cleaning her room, and could keep it that way until her birthday at the end of January, I would get her a cat for her birthday. (She's turning 13, so I think this is a reasonable bribe, it's well within her capabilities to be responsible for a cat) After I told her this, she literally spent all weekend in her room cleaning. Well, I'm pretty sure a good chunk of that time was her getting distracted by anime and YouTube as well, but considering the attention span of 3/4 of this household, it doesn't surprise me. :p She is actually taking it seriously for now, but we'll see if it lasts another 2 and a half months.
So is this an "I'm okay with getting a cat" bribe, or an " No way she can pull this off, there is no cat" bribe?

As I was out driving today, I saw a West Virginia license plate driving around near downtown Mesa.

What it was doing there was my question.

As I was out driving today, I saw a West Virginia license plate driving around near downtown Mesa.

What it was doing there was my question.
It's snowbird season. November is when we get the hordes of retirees heading south from the GTA to Myrtle Beach and points south. I-79 is the main escape road, and this is the first best place to stop for the night.

Yes, but Arizona? I thought they pretty much all went down to FLA?

We don't see too many eastern US plates here in the Valley, especially southeast US plates. I've yet to see any Georgia, So Carolina or Alabama plates, for example.

It's snowbird season. November is when we get the hordes of retirees heading south from the GTA to Myrtle Beach and points south. I-79 is the main escape road, and this is the first best place to stop for the night.
Do you actually mean the Greater Toronto Area, like I think you do?

Oh, I've seen plates from most of the border provinces except New Brunswick. West Virginia was one of the few left on our list of "license plates we have seen from out of state just since the end of October".

I saw a pickup truck with Texas plates and a giant Texas map decal about a month ago here in Toronto. Honestly one of the weirdest fucking things I've ever seen.

We get a lot of New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, some Maine, Pennsylvania, Ohio, sometimes Florida or Georgia (which I can't really explain either, but I've seen it relatively often)
NEVER SEEN Texas here before. Who makes that drive?!

Only thing I could think of is deer hunting season. But.... I'm pretty sure they didn't have to come up to Toronto for that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Arizona State University does a lot of network-based radio ads. The abbreviate to "ASU Online." Every time I see "ASU Online" show up on my screen I do a double take because it makes me think SAO (Sword Art Online) for some reason.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also the Michael J. Fox Foundation has shown up a lot in recent weeks, and every time I see it, Mojo Nixon's voice pops in my head saying "Michael J. Fox has no Elvis in him."