Something really, really weird is happening at Sea-Tac International as I type this. Something about a plane basically closing airspace over the airport and preventing all planes from departing or coming in...

EDIT: Someone apparently stole a plane.

Last edited:
Okay, apparently an unknown person stole a Horizon Air Bombardier TurboProp "regional" jet (branded in Alaska Airlines livery) from Seattle-Tacoma Airport.

At some point as he was flying, he apparently did a barrel roll in the plane.

EDIT: the plane was a Bombardier Q400, which is pretty much a regional jet. There's clips from the tower that suggest that "Rich" (the "pilot" of the stolen plane) was throwing up in the cockpit.

Suicidal Airport Mechanic steals plane, crashes on island

I'm obviously not a WA native, but the island is essentially south of Tacoma along the inner coast of Puget Sound. It's about halfway between Tacoma and Olympia, and is basically inaccessible other than by ferry. This has made it interesting to firefighters and rescue workers, as they had to use the ferry service to cart material and people over to the island from the mainland.

Last edited:
Suicidal Airport Mechanic steals plane, crashes on island

I'm obviously not a WA native, but the island is essentially south of Tacoma along the inner coast of Puget Sound. It's about halfway between Tacoma and Olympia, and is basically inaccessible other than by ferry. This has made it interesting to firefighters and rescue workers, as they had to use the ferry service to cart material and people over to the island from the mainland.
Eh, that's normal enough for some of the smaller, more remote islands that most of the EMS crews are probably just annoyed that they have to do it again. The ferry system in WA (like a lot of places) is considered to be part of the state highway system, so they get a lot of funding (not enough, obviously, but they also need to stop wasting so damn much of it) and the only real issue should have been needing to wait for the next ferry run in the appropriate direction. The bigger issue IMHO is the drastic cut backs they've made to the Coast Guard stations in the area. If we'd still had a rescue chopper stationed on the Central Washington coast they could've had a rescue crew there in minutes instead of hours, but we keep removing them from the damn coast.

Zappit

Staff member
I've been doing a lot of thinking about my comic, and I've realized that the stories I'm telling are leading to a natural conclusion to the comic, and I'm going to let it happen. This realization came within the last week, but looking back, I think, on some level, I already knew.

When I started Supervillainous, I wanted to create something I could work on for years. Now, here we are five years later, and I've done more with it than I ever imagined I would. I've gotten years out of it. I've built a likable cast that works well. I've made a lot of good jokes.

I don't want to spoil that by going on too long.

There's a few major storylines that will help close out things for a number of characters, and I think I have a very satisfying ending planned. There might be about a year at most, left, but after that, I'll be ready to move on to a new project. I'm ready for something new to build. Plus, this way, I'll really have done it - finished an ongoing comic - and I can look back and know I did right by my cast. I really do care about those characters, and I don't want to "end without an ending" like I have with other projects.

I haven't decided what comes next. I like working in color, but I miss black and white. I like telling ongoing stories, but I miss unrelated gag strips. So...who knows? Maybe I restart Zaptronic Comics. Maybe I take one more stab at Pixel (with a rebranding). Maybe I do something brand new - I do have one Sci-Fi comedy project that would last like Supervillainous. Eh, that part comes later.

Car crashes into security barriers outside UK parliament. No fatalities, but some injuries. No information on the motive yet, but it appears to be a deliberate crash.

If it was terrorism (and some reports have it that the driver was aiming for cyclists rather than the barriers, so it might be "random crazy man" rather than "potential terrorist") then it was at least incompetent terrorism because he didn't kill anyone and Parliament isn't even sitting.

Dave

Staff member
Power outage map here in Omaha. Yes, my house i in the dark purple. Over 12,000 people are without power. Nobody knows why yet.

My wife bitched when I bought the UPS but she loved being able to use the internet for another 1/2 hour. That's gone now, though.

2018-08-14_9-32-39.png

My wife bitched when I bought the UPS but she loved being able to use the internet for another 1/2 hour.
My wife was dubious when I bought a UPS beefy enough to keep all 4 computers (and monitors, and the switch) in the living room running for ~15min in an outage. But she's decided writing is her current hobby, and the power has blipped out 2-3 times since then, usually while she's in the middle of some several-thousand word writing binge.

She's less dubious about it now.

--Patrick

Yesterday a congregant shared an anecdote from (I think) a friend of theirs. "A minister is like a farmer, except every cow is their boss."
Dude, you are not wrong, but you are one of those cows so I can only laugh so much.
Still, I thought it was amusing, and it certainly indicates that that person is (far) more comfortable with me than I had previously thought, so that's good.

I don't watch over-the-air network stuff hardly at all so this shouldn't be surprising, but I can't believe that American Dad had 15 seasons. I watched a couple of episodes in the early seasons, and just didn't see the appeal. I expected it to have been scrapped around S4 or S5. MacFarlane must be ridiculously rich.

I don't watch over-the-air network stuff hardly at all so this shouldn't be surprising, but I can't believe that American Dad had 15 seasons. I watched a couple of episodes in the early seasons, and just didn't see the appeal. I expected it to have been scrapped around S4 or S5. MacFarlane must be ridiculously rich.
American dad got sooo much better as it went on.