I am the owner of a dog who has a problem. Our dear, sweet, almost 2 year old Border Collie/Australian Shepherd/Something Else mix, Luca... is addicted to Bush's Baked Beans. It started a little over a week ago, when I'd smoked a tri-tip for dinner and was serving it with some Bush's Country Style baked beans and whatever else. Luca got up on the counter for the first time in months and, we thought, was licking the meat juices off of the cutting board. It may be, however, that the meat juices were just conveniently close to the serving bowl of beans, as the following night he got up on the counter again - this time licking/drinking all of the sauce off of the beans (and leaving the beans themselves behind). Fast forward to last night's dinner of left-over pork roast and Bush's Baked Beans (Original). The roast consumed, and leftover beans put away, I thought I'd taken care of everything. This morning when I got to the kitchen to grab my coffee cup I noticed shards of bamboo all over the floor. Luca got up on the counter, grabbed the the slotted wooden spoon that I'd used to dish up the beans, and went to town on it. How do we know it's Luca? Well, Cody sleeps in a crate, Pablo lives in a cage, and there's no way that Lance and Edmund, no matter how determined they were, could eat that much or destroy a spoon so efficiently.

Yesterday a congregant shared an anecdote from (I think) a friend of theirs. "A minister is like a farmer, except every cow is their boss."
Dude, you are not wrong, but you are one of those cows so I can only laugh so much.
Still, I thought it was amusing, and it certainly indicates that that person is (far) more comfortable with me than I had previously thought, so that's good.
The pastor-as-shepherd comparison isn't exactly new :D

I am the owner of a dog who has a problem. Our dear, sweet, almost 2 year old Border Collie/Australian Shepherd/Something Else mix, Luca... is addicted to Bush's Baked Beans.
Oh dear. And all this time I thought the commercials were just for show.

--Patrick

BC last summer looked like a hellscape. Orange sky and a bright red pinpoint sun - I should see if I still have pictures.

My son went back to school today. He has a really easy schedule, in which he has his special Ed class then either PE or Computer Science depending on the day, and he doesn't go in until lunch. We're going to work on adding more classes in as time goes on, probably starting with science in a few weeks. Math is probably going to come back at the middle of the year because he's repeating his math class because he started falling behind mid year, and there's not a rush to make him repeat the things he already knows. So we'll see how things go.

Being sick is wild. One moment, feel like turning into a statue so I never have to deal with discomfort again. The next, write the first poems in eleven years, then have the nerve to submit them for publication.

I wish I wasn't just going to get form rejections so I could actually see some kind of reaction. Well, right now I wish that because I'm riding a temperature high. Probably tomorrow I'll feel mortified, but I'm just going to live this right now. :cool:

...You do recall I moved to Arizona, right? AC is pretty much required on Special Ed routes.

I do remember that. I live in Florida, and I've never seen a school bus with AC. Granted, I've also not been inside a school bus in 15 years, and special ed buses may be different.

We also have had a string of children being found in empty buses - dead - in this state. This is why I have to walk to the back of my bus after each run and after I pull into the yard in the morning and evening to check for children under the seats or left in the bus.

I don't know for sure, but my bus in particular is rather old, yet it still has two AC units in it (one in front and one in back). That front one has problems keeping me cool because it is located below the front dash and vents away from the driver.

Even in SE Washington some of our buses had AC, and most of the buses in SC Washington had it. High temps and kids don't mix real well - especially in rural areas where some of the routes take two hours to complete. Though, I'm both surprised and not at all surprised that Florida, with all of its humidity and wretched, muggy heat doesn't mandate AC for buses. Though, to be fair, our school district was loaded compared to most others in our area and we would use those air conditioned buses primarily for long athletics, band, and other extra curricular trips across the state.

It don't help that AZ public schools start in early to mid-August, instead of waiting for September like most of the sane places back in the Midwest.

It don't help that AZ public schools start in early to mid-August, instead of waiting for September like most of the sane places back in the Midwest.
Yeah, but don't they have a huge chunk of October off? My cousin teaches in Arizona and I remember their school schedule being really odd. (Also, most schools in this area get out in May, and not June as well as starting in August)