"The Government" as some kind of separate, almost non-human entity is such a weird concept to me.
It gets easier when you think of things like “Big Business” or “Humanity.”

I’m of the opinion that once any organization gets large enough, it starts to take on a sort of ponderous gestalt identity, exhibiting trends/tendencies not entirely explained by the outward actions of those who comprise it. A sort of “collective unconscious,” if you will.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I also liked the Monkeysphere article, mostly because it mentions one of the same things I always think of in political arguments: "The Government" as some kind of separate, almost non-human entity is such a weird concept to me.
Working for the government does tend to drain humanity, I've seen first hand.

It gets easier when you think of things like “Big Business” or “Humanity.”

I’m of the opinion that once any organization gets large enough, it starts to take on a sort of ponderous gestalt identity, exhibiting trends/tendencies not entirely explained by the outward actions of those who comprise it. A sort of “collective unconscious,” if you will.

—Patrick
When I worked for the government, as a contractor, I was paired with a Fed who was constantly going on and on about some conspiracy theory or another that "they" in the "government" were doing. I was like "dude..that's you. You're the government." He couldn't grasp the concept.

I tried some non-dairy macaroni and cheese out of curiosity. It was actually pretty okay. Pleasantly creamy mouthfeel, but the sauce tasted nothing like cheese.

Anyone here know the legality of a US based company removing all paid time off from their salaried workforce? My wife's company rolled out this policy as of January 1st. There is no more Paid Time Off, nor is there Paid Sick Leave. If you want to take time off, you're expected to just do any work that you would normally be doing during that time before hand, or find someone else to do it, and make arrangements with your supervisor - but, there's also no formal tracking system for arrangements that have been made, and they've been told that "permission given in writing" from a supervisor means nothing, if someone higher up the chain deems that the time wasn't justified, they can be fired at will.

That's a change in contract benefits, and may be as serious as a one-sided change in salary. Unfortunately it depends on state law more than federal law, so you'll have to do some research to understand what her options are.

There are few to no protections for this sort of behavior, though, so don't get your hopes up.

If you can get all the employees to complain to the state AG at once, then it's possible the company may face repercussions.[DOUBLEPOST=1518035603,1518035532][/DOUBLEPOST]If there's a written contract, it will have sections about severability, benefits, notice of changes, and when changes can be made, by whom, and how much notice must be provided.

Your state's Department of Labor or Labor Board may have a helpline you can call to ask (anonymously) whether this the situation you describe is kosher.

Anyone here know the legality of a US based company removing all paid time off from their salaried workforce? My wife's company rolled out this policy as of January 1st. There is no more Paid Time Off, nor is there Paid Sick Leave. If you want to take time off, you're expected to just do any work that you would normally be doing during that time before hand, or find someone else to do it, and make arrangements with your supervisor - but, there's also no formal tracking system for arrangements that have been made, and they've been told that "permission given in writing" from a supervisor means nothing, if someone higher up the chain deems that the time wasn't justified, they can be fired at will.
This probably doesn't help in several ways - because IANAL, IANAmerican, and I'm suggesting a path y'all may not be interested in.

There's a chance that, even without a written contract, these changes could constitue enough of a change in her employment condition that, if she's unwilling to accept the changes the employer makes and they dismiss her she could be eligible for compensation for being fired without cause.

It would be a gamble, of course, even with a lawyer

Yeah, sadly I was pretty sure it was all above board - and from the state level at least, she has no recourse. Joy of joys.

I thought I had grown up when I could tolerate bitter beers.

I really grew up when I realized I could skip the beer and just order drinks that I like the taste of.

I thought I had grown up when I could tolerate bitter beers.

I really grew up when I realized I could skip the beer and just order drinks that I like the taste of.
Same here. I'm in my mid thirties and I still order drinks that sound like MLP characters.

"Strawberry Sunrise. No ice. Ooh, and one of those little umbrellas!"

Yeah, sadly I was pretty sure it was all above board - and from the state level at least, she has no recourse. Joy of joys.
How can that possibly be legal? I have to go back and have like a third and fourth read of your first post.[DOUBLEPOST=1518065312,1518064884][/DOUBLEPOST]
So let me get this straight, if I need to have a medical appointment at 10:00 am, I can come in an hour early and then leave for an hour during the day - and that's ok? (This scenario doesn't offend me)

Or if I'm sick Tuesday, then I work Saturday?

And if I call in and get permission, I might have a job Wednesday, but I might not?

I've been there 20 years and have 4 weeks vacation on December 31 and on the next day, I have no vacation? That's insane. How can that be legal?

GasBandit

Staff member
How can that possibly be legal? I have to go back and have like a third and fourth read of your first post.[DOUBLEPOST=1518065312,1518064884][/DOUBLEPOST]
So let me get this straight, if I need to have a medical appointment at 10:00 am, I can come in an hour early and then leave for an hour during the day - and that's ok? (This scenario doesn't offend me)

And if I call in and get permission, I might have a job Wednesday, but I might not?

I've been there 20 years and have 4 weeks vacation on December 31 and on the next day, I have no vacation? That's insane. How can that be legal?
Paid time off/vacation is not required by law. Most employers, however, provide it to stay competitive with other employers.

However, if you get fired because you were out due to a medical condition covered by the FMLA (https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm), THAT is legally actionable. But note, that's if you get *fired.* The FMLA doesn't require paid sick leave, just that you not be fired/have your insurance cancelled because you take sick leave.

Every single salaried employee spent the last three months of 2017 taking as much time off as they could, because on 1/1/18 it went away. It didn't get paid out, or rolled into a time-off bank, or anything like that. Just gone. Use it or lose it and never get it again. They've also started mass layoffs on a "first in first out" basis - even as managers beg and plead to let them cut dead weight employees that are making 6 figure salaries and keep the newer, cheaper employees who actually do their jobs; they've just outsourced a major component of their business to the Philippines with no oversight or planning. One of the more confusing things though, is that they don't seem to be doing anything at all to enforce their sales staff's non-compete clause, so a lot of their sales staff is leaving for the competition and taking their customer lists with them, and a substantial amount of business has been lost in the last year. They also failed/refused to pay out commission for the sales staff for 2017 (apparently they would hold commission until the end of the year, and this year they just decided not to pay it at all), so most of them have either quit or are in the process of filing claims for withheld wages. It's a colossal cluster fuck - but part of the reason we moved way the hell down here is that we don't have to rely on my wife working for this company in order to survive, even if we both have minimum wage jobs we can pay the bills and anything over minimum means we have savings for the first time in ages.

Every single salaried employee spent the last three months of 2017 taking as much time off as they could, because on 1/1/18 it went away. It didn't get paid out, or rolled into a time-off bank, or anything like that. Just gone. Use it or lose it and never get it again. They've also started mass layoffs on a "first in first out" basis - even as managers beg and plead to let them cut dead weight employees that are making 6 figure salaries and keep the newer, cheaper employees who actually do their jobs; they've just outsourced a major component of their business to the Philippines with no oversight or planning. One of the more confusing things though, is that they don't seem to be doing anything at all to enforce their sales staff's non-compete clause, so a lot of their sales staff is leaving for the competition and taking their customer lists with them, and a substantial amount of business has been lost in the last year. They also failed/refused to pay out commission for the sales staff for 2017 (apparently they would hold commission until the end of the year, and this year they just decided not to pay it at all), so most of them have either quit or are in the process of filing claims for withheld wages. It's a colossal cluster fuck - but part of the reason we moved way the hell down here is that we don't have to rely on my wife working for this company in order to survive, even if we both have minimum wage jobs we can pay the bills and anything over minimum means we have savings for the first time in ages.
If this were a building, I'd suspect arson for the insurance money. Reads like they're intentionally trying to destroy their own company.

If this were a building, I'd suspect arson for the insurance money. Reads like they're intentionally trying to destroy their own company.
Or one of those things where someone from outside buys a company, drains off the cash reserves, and then lets the remaining husk collapse in on itself and die.

--Patrick

Or one of those things where someone from outside buys a company, drains off the cash reserves, and then lets the remaining husk collapse in on itself and die.

--Patrick
It's funny you should mention those theories. Especially considering that all of this started right after a new investment company took majority ownership of the company.

You don't say.

There are plenty of takeover folks who do just that, and there are plenty of articles talking about them. They are in the habit of buying businesses based more on the amount of cash they have in the bank rather than any interest in what they do.

--Patrick

You don't say.

There are plenty of takeover folks who do just that, and there are plenty of articles talking about them. They are in the habit of buying businesses based more on the amount of cash they have in the bank rather than any interest in what they do.

--Patrick
I have to put the response to this in a different thread.