Underling #1: "Something weird happened at lunch. I was in the store with my sister (note: U1 is ~24 years old, her sister is ~10), and this lady gave her $20 all sneaky!"

Me: "She thought you were your sister's mother."

U1: "... ohhhhh... I guess that makes sense, my sister was complaining her shoes were too tight, and I was telling her how to loosen them..."

Me: "Yep. She thought you were your sister's dirt poor unwed teenage single mother trying to find a way to make your daughter's shoes last a little longer because you couldn't afford to buy new ones. Your sister's only about 15 years younger than you, you don't have a ring on your finger, and I know how you dote on your sister in public. So she tried to give you shoe money without you knowing about it."

U1: "Ah."
Far better than the real scary shit I was thinking of.

GasBandit

Staff member
Deliveries delayed due to drastic weather, perhaps?
It's not like all the chocolate refineries were in Houston. I mean, we still have gasoline. It's 40 cents more expensive than normal, but we have it.

I got them to substitute chocolate chip cookie dough instead. Worked out. Actually, I think I prefer it this way, but trying to customize your desserts at DQ/Sonic has never gone well for me because all their employees hate their jobs and their customers and can't be bothered to do things right. I always ask for no whipped cream. I get whipped cream about 40% of the time.

It's not like all the chocolate refineries were in Houston. I mean, we still have gasoline. It's 40 cents more expensive than normal, but we have it.

I got them to substitute chocolate chip cookie dough instead. Worked out. Actually, I think I prefer it this way, but trying to customize your desserts at DQ/Sonic has never gone well for me because all their employees hate their jobs and their customers and can't be bothered to do things right. I always ask for no whipped cream. I get whipped cream about 40% of the time.
Taco Bell: what kind of sauce would you like?

Me: it doesn't really matter what I say, you seem to always give me a random sauce

I mean, all it would take for one store to run out of one ingredient would be one truck driver being out for one day because he's helping his sister out.

And there's an awfully long list of logistic hiccups that could have occured over the past couple weeks to cause this.

Or it could be something entirely unrelated, of course. My local Subway was out of cold cuts for a several days a couple weeks ago.

I've given up on DQ because they've cut everything that made individual locations unique. Popular menu items have disappeared after decades in the name of "uniformity". No more banana cream pie blizzards or cherry shakes or New England style hot dog buns. All that adds up to them saying they no longer want my business.

I've given up on DQ because they've cut everything that made individual locations unique. Popular menu items have disappeared after decades in the name of "uniformity". No more banana cream pie blizzards or cherry shakes or New England style hot dog buns. All that adds up to them saying they no longer want my business.
That's weird, we have the banana cream pie Blizzard at our local DQ.

The cherry shake is available at other Dairy Queens as well.

Perhaps it's the location's individuality that has removed items you like from the menu.

And here we have the latest entrant in the bad first date files.

Woman goes on a date with a guy she met on Tinder. Presumably it started off well - she ends up going back to his place, where she needs to use the loo. This is where things start to go wrong. She has a crap. Doesn't flush. Obvious solution - take the crap out of the toilet & throw it out the window. Sorry, did I say obvious solution? I meant dumb.

Anyway, for some reason this bathroom window doesn't lead to outside. There's a narrow gap, another window & then the outside. So naturally the crap gets stuck between the windows. So of course she climbs in after it. Head first. And gets stuck. Fire brigade is called & - once they've composed themselves - rescue her.

The real kicker though is that this may have been their first date. It wasn't their last. The guy she was on the date with says he's seen her since and "who knows what the future holds". How bad were her other dates that she didn't react to this by going home & trying to forget the whole evening ever happened?

GasBandit

Staff member

Woman goes on a date with a guy she met on Tinder. Presumably it started off well - she ends up going back to his place, where she needs to use the loo. This is where things start to go wrong. She has a crap. Doesn't flush. Obvious solution - take the crap out of the toilet & throw it out the window. Sorry, did I say obvious solution? I meant dumb.

Anyway, for some reason this bathroom window doesn't lead to outside. There's a narrow gap, another window & then the outside. So naturally the crap gets stuck between the windows. So of course she climbs in after it. Head first. And gets stuck. Fire brigade is called & - once they've composed themselves - rescue her.

The real kicker though is that this may have been their first date. It wasn't their last. The guy she was on the date with says he's seen her since and "who knows what the future holds". How bad were her other dates that she didn't react to this by going home & trying to forget the whole evening ever happened?
Well, if after all that, a guy still wants a second date, he may be The One.

Reminded me of this:

Found out that they have awards in my daughter's middle school for using fewer than 3 bathroom passes a month (randomly selected). Which means that the only time kids can really use the bathroom if they want to win is lunchtime. Which really annoys me because this is the most awkward age for girls asking for bathroom passes in general, so it feels negative. Then again, I also hate shit like perfect attendance awards for young kids, which only encourages them to go to school while sick to train them to be corporate drones later. :p

That's ridiculous. You're basically punished (sorry, "not rewarded") if you can't hold your pee as long as other people, or if you're a girl and need to use menstrual items. Who thought up that bull?

That's ridiculous. You're basically punished (sorry, "not rewarded") if you can't hold your pee as long as other people, or if you're a girl and need to use menstrual items. Who thought up that bull?
Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's middle school, and they need to learn to go during their breaks and passing periods. That age is when we teach them to be responsible for their time, just like every other adult on the planet.

And even still, a kid can use the bathroom pass twice and still be eligible.

To allow unlimited use during class encourages kids to use their passing periods and breaks for socializing rather than being responsible, and it creates situations where students miss chunks of class.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's middle school, and they need to learn to go during their breaks and passing periods. That age is when we teach them to be responsible for their time, just like every other adult on the planet.

To allow unlimited use during class encourages kids to use their passing periods and breaks for socializing rather than being responsible, and it creates situations where students miss chunks of class.
They do not have passing periods in 6th grade, but nice deflection. See the part where I said that the only time to use the bathroom was during lunch.

Even in high school, my passing times were never long enough to get to class AND use the bathroom when I was on my period. I had a lot of messy accidents in high school because teachers wouldn't let kids go to the bathroom during class. Even when I ran straight to my classroom to drop off my stuff and tried to tell a teacher I had to use the bathroom, I would be marked tardy for not being able to go to the bathroom and change everything that needed changing within the minute I had left.

They do not have passing periods in 6th grade, but nice deflection. See the part where I said that the only time to use the bathroom was during lunch.
It's not a deflection, so cool your fucking jets. First of all, 6th grade has passing periods here. It's not the obvious given you seem to think it is. And second, you didn't say 6th grade. You said middle school, which I'm sure even you will agree usually have passing periods.

Even in high school, my passing times were never long enough to get to class AND use the bathroom when I was on my period. I had a lot of messy accidents in high school because teachers wouldn't let kids go to the bathroom during class. Even when I ran straight to my classroom to drop off my stuff and tried to tell a teacher I had to use the bathroom, I would be marked tardy for not being able to go to the bathroom and change everything that needed changing within the minute I had left.
I'm sorry that happened, but that doesn't change a thing about what I said. I always let students use the bathroom when they need it, especially if a girl asks for "girl issues" (which what most girls in my class will say without prompting, even though I don't ask them to justify the need). If your teachers were assholes, that's unfortunate. They should have been more sensitive. But that doesn't mean that students shouldn't be encouraged to limit their trips to the bathroom during class time since it means missing out on vital instruction. And to be clear, even by your admission, students are not being punished for using the bathroom. They are being given a positive encouragement instead.

It's not a deflection, so cool your fucking jets. First of all, 6th grade has passing periods here. It's not the obvious given you seem to think it is. And second, you didn't say 6th grade. You said middle school, which I'm sure even you will agree usually have passing periods

Dei, clearly you've failed to take into account that Tress would never do that. Knowing this should fix everything, past and present alike.

You know what? Fine. Fuck it. School is pointless, you all know better than me, and kids should be allowed to leave class whenever they want for however long they want.

I'm not sure how long your passing periods are, but ours were 3 minutes. You were told to go directly to your next class, maybe drop off a book. And it stayed that way all through high school. If you showed up past the bell, you would be marked late by a teacher, 2 lates resulting in detention. If you didn't get permission during class, when were you supposed to go? Crossing your legs and hoping you could wait until one assigned lunch periods (which could start as early as 10:30 or at late as 1:00) doesn't sound very adult. But I've also never worked a job that didn't allow me to use the restroom as needed, even at the grocery store.

Last edited:
As the Donut Turns; conclusion.

As many of you followed my coworkers attempts to ask out the girl behind the counter at Tim Hortons. It's ended in tragedy, as he almost ran over her with his car yesterday at the Tim's parking lot.

Resulting in some salty language from her towards him.