GasBandit

Staff member

GasBandit

Staff member
Does that mean we missed the 1-year anniversary last week?

--Patrick
Oh no, that was quite a while ago. For a few weeks in the beginning I did just post the same one over and over, and then there were a few weeks around Christmas where I posted videos instead of swfs.

I miss chapterless Terry Pratchett books. :(
That happened to me!
I was reading Stasheff's "The Warlock in Spite of Himself," and I was liking it, but it was late, so I thought, "I'll just read to the end of the chapter."
Maybe a hundred or so pages later I realized that there weren't any and I was either going to have to finish it or put it down and back away slowly.

--Patrick

Some of you may have seen this tweet making the rounds today...

The replies have been epic.

Upon further review, however, it's discovered this is not the first time he's publicly humiliated himself in front of a worldwide internet audience.

I've really got nothing more. The kid is a complete waste of space.

Man, an ex of mine from high school just got married. She looks better now than she did when she was 18. She's barely aged a day.

GasBandit

Staff member
Trying to talk myself into/out of getting a shuttle wheel. On the one hand, it would really make video editing more convenient and efficient. On the other hand, dropping $60 on a single-application peripheral curls my toes.

I think what will ultimately nix it is I've already spent hundreds of dollars this month on discretionary spending (the pistol and its accessories). And if I can do without it for another month, maybe I can do without it entirely.

Trying to talk myself into/out of getting a shuttle wheel. On the one hand, it would really make video editing more convenient and efficient. On the other hand, dropping $60 on a single-application peripheral curls my toes.

I think what will ultimately nix it is I've already spent hundreds of dollars this month on discretionary spending (the pistol and its accessories). And if I can do without it for another month, maybe I can do without it entirely.
I may be misunderstanding that product, but isn't it essentially a dedicated 5-switch keyboard running AutoHotKey with IfWinActive? If so, you really don't need it :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I may be misunderstanding that product, but isn't it essentially a dedicated 5-switch keyboard running AutoHotKey with IfWinActive? If so, you really don't need it :p
The thing in the middle is the draw, it's a scrub/jog wheel. The inner wheel (the part with the finger indentation) lets you scroll kind of like a mousewheel (set to spin freely, no "notches), and it is linked to the timeline of whatever video/audio you are editing. The outer part of the wheel (the rubber part with the hashmark tread) is a different, self-centering knob that only turns a quarter turn in either direction, and works like an analog fastforward/rewind. The farther you twist it, the faster you move in the timeline, and when released it returns to center on its own (unlike the first wheel, which stays where it is when released).

Thus, using these two wheels and the buttons around them, I could move through the video timeline in a dynamic, analog fashion, adding keyframes and performing other functions without having to move my mouse from the element I'm trying to edit.

It's kind of hard to explain if you haven't used one before, but it saves a lot of time and hassle once you're used to it.

The thing in the middle is the draw, it's a scrub/jog wheel. The inner wheel (the part with the finger indentation) lets you scroll kind of like a mousewheel (set to spin freely, no "notches), and it is linked to the timeline of whatever video/audio you are editing. The outer part of the wheel (the rubber part with the hashmark tread) is a different, self-centering knob that only turns a quarter turn in either direction, and works like an analog fastforward/rewind. The farther you twist it, the faster you move in the timeline, and when released it returns to center on its own (unlike the first wheel, which stays where it is when released).

Thus, using these two wheels and the buttons around them, I could move through the video timeline in a dynamic, analog fashion, adding keyframes and performing other functions without having to move my mouse from the element I'm trying to edit.

It's kind of hard to explain if you haven't used one before, but it saves a lot of time and hassle once you're used to it.
The Amazon description really undersold itself, that does sound more useful.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Amazon description really undersold itself, that does sound more useful.
Yeah, it's pretty much a niche product, made for people who already know what they want and why. When you get right down to it, it's just a nostromo speedpad with fewer buttons and a couple analog wheels instead of a directional thumbpad, but there are a lot of professional video/sound editing people who swear by them.