I can't decide what to do with all the cunts bashing immigrants as a whole on my feed lately. They probably shouldn't remain my friends ('Facebook' or real life) because I am currently serving as their token "model" immigrant friend and, well, fuck that. OTOH I appreciate having a window into the mindset of the people likely to instigate me harm. It also keeps me grounded. Then again, I could just read Fox News and Breitbart in the morning.

Dave

Staff member
I once rated something a 4 out of 5, and then got relentless phone calls asking what could be done to change my mind, because getting less than a five was bad for them. And that is when I stopped rating anything ever again.
I request reviews after every gig I do and let them know I don't care what their rating is. It's really a catch-22. If you DON'T have a good rating, people will pass you by.

The case I remembered was how a car dealership's "satisfaction" paper had explicitly on it that anything less than "outstanding" was considered a failure on it. I never really filled anything in because i didn't want to get people in shit for being "fine."

Reactions: Dei
Exactly. In my mind, most of the time the services I receive are fine and I'm happy with them, but they aren't super awesome spectacular, which is what I feel a 5 should be. 5 should be reserved for going above and beyond, but no one sees it that way. Someone shouldn't be expected to be at a 5 all the time, especially in service jobs like cashier where it's really not necessary.

It's the same problem as video game reviews. Anything less than a nine-out-of-ten game-of-the-year review is considered "bad". it's ridiculous.

Yeah but the Star Trek universe never portrays a world that has huge families, it's all 1 or 2 maybe 3 kids.

Was there a Federation policy requiring huge families to colonize a planet?

Is there like a baby world where people just breed?

Is it replicators or just the Kirk effect?

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah but the Star Trek universe never portrays a world that has huge families, it's all 1 or 2 maybe 3 kids.

Was there a Federation policy requiring huge families to colonize a planet?

Is there like a baby world where people just breed?

Is it replicators or just the Kirk effect?
You watched Generations, right? Did you see how many grandkids Picard would have had if he wasn't in starfleet?

Ok so in the span of 200 years the human population in the Star Trek universe increased 10 fold.

So is like the entire universe in Star Trek full of @stienman ?
Look at the way non-native species introduced to a new land by humans have often seen that species numbers skyrocket without the usual curb on population growth their original habitat offers (wild rabbits in Australia most obviously - although, yeah, we all know what rabbits are famous for :p).

All those new planets to colonise & Trek clearly being a post scarcity society means there is absolutely nothing to curb human population growth, compared to today where we have nowhere to expand into, a tendency to blow each other up (something else Trek humans don't have to worry about - at least since the Eugenics Wars), and a large part of the population struggling to provide for the next generation. And even with those problems we have our population is still increasing. Take those away & I can easily see a massive jump in population equal to what Trek had.

Ok so in the span of 200 years the human population in the Star Trek universe increased 10 fold.

So is like the entire universe in Star Trek full of @stienman ?
Isn't it obvious that I'm the peak evolution of the star trek human?

Each starship is crewed by over a thousand, and many crew will have their family with them, or start one in their first 10 year mission. There are 30,000 starships, and countless smaller ships.

And there's nothing to do between star systems.

And even the eventful visits are boring for the vast majority of crew.

Even sex becomes boring after 5 years of consequence clear copulation with everyone else on the ship.

So the space faring race inevitably becomes the child rearing race.

Besides, each ship only lasts a few ten year missions, so they're building a thousand star ships a year at least, and it takes hundreds of thousands of people to build one in a year. Which is why even getting assigned to a starship for one measly 10 year mission, as a redshirt no less, is significant.

When resources are unlimited, population explodes.

I wish my dad ordered the 4 serving plan, instead of the 2 serving plan from Blue Apron, its just awkward dividing that between three people, even WITH my mom's childish aversion to god damn vegetables.

fade

Staff member
My parents live on a big chunk of mostly wooded land in rural SC. For fun, my dad got a tractor and started clearing a section near the road, and put up a sign saying "Wal-Mart coming soon" just to mess with people.

Dave

Staff member
So I wouldn't have to quit my job to start the Virtual Rcade. It's going to be closed during the days unless they rent the place out. Without adding in a salary my break even analysis says 188.48 hours per month - 6.28 hours per day. Initial startup costs are around $17 k. I can pad that a little to make sure I have working capital for a few months so that even if I started slowly I would be fine. Like a 3-4 month cushion.

That takes me to about $25 k, which is doable, I think.

It's going to take a lot of time and I'll be away from home a lot, but I think I might be able to make this work.