GasBandit

Staff member
Raymond Feist put out a Riftwar book every year for 20 years straight. Kingkiller Chronicle and Song of Ice and Fire are good, better even, but they're not THAT many times better then Riftwar. Not 5, 8, 10 times better.

I know that George RR Martin's excuse is that he has come to hate his subject matter, but sometimes I think Patrick Rothfuss is just lazy.

There are highway signs along the roads here in MI that flash various messages from time to time.
Highway-sign1.jpg

One of the messages they flash is how many traffic deaths have occurred YTD. Currently they are showing "835 traffic deaths," and all I can think whenever I see it is like they're reminding us of some kind of challenge and we'd better hurry up and get in another 165 if we're going to hit 1k before the end of the year.

--Patrick

Raymond Feist put out a Riftwar book every year for 20 years straight. Kingkiller Chronicle and Song of Ice and Fire are good, better even, but they're not THAT many times better then Riftwar. Not 5, 8, 10 times better.

I know that George RR Martin's excuse is that he has come to hate his subject matter, but sometimes I think Patrick Rothfuss is just lazy.
I think Rothfuss' problem is he literally obsesses over every single syllable. He's talked about how he'll spend days upon days just thinking of the best name for a river he'll mention once or twice (to be fair, every single name in those books is perfect). He's obvioulsy one of those "never feels the work is done" type of artists, which can be annoying to no end.

On the other side of the spectrum, Brandon Sanderson ejaculates like three books a day and they're 99.99% of the time awesome, some of them even Rothfuss-level. Pat should really learn something from Sanderson.

I think Rothfuss' problem is he literally obsesses over every single syllable. He's talked about how he'll spend days upon days just thinking of the best name for a river he'll mention once or twice (to be fair, every single name in those books is perfect). He's obvioulsy one of those "never feels the work is done" type of artists, which can be annoying to no end.
I feel his pain.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
How can a guy write such awesome stories as Dark Victory and The Long Halloween, and then manage to sink Heroes?

GasBandit

Staff member
There should be a formal bikini, with split lapels on the shoulder straps and matching (unattached) collar that has a little necktie coming down out of it.

I dunno. I think it would be interesting to see some of the Halforum guys in outfits like those.

I didn't say "good"; I just said "interesting".

GasBandit

Staff member
If gatorade had been invented at Florida State instead of the University of Florida, do you think they would have called it Seminole Fluid?

No, it's actually a funny story...

My dad had finally decided he was going to become a snowbird and spend his winters down in Arizona. After two days of driving, we had stopped in New Mexico for the night.

He's always been an early riser, so we were heading out at like 6 AM local to try and get around traffic in downtown. Unfortunately, at this time, NMDOT was completely redoing the main Interstate interchange downtown (I-40 and I-25). They had an overnight detour that put us on a series of side streets. We saw this big Variable Message Sign indicating that we needed to turn at the next stoplight.

My dad saw the left-turn arrow was green, about two blocks ahead, so he got over into what he thought was the left turn lane.

It was the oncoming traffic lane. And the light was turning yellow.

He gunned his SUV, got onto the proper side street to take us back to the Interstate - while I'm holding on for dear life in the passenger seat, and my wife is still half asleep in back.

Once we made the turn, the full impact hit me: we just made a wrong turn in Albuquerque.

GasBandit

Staff member
No, it's actually a funny story...

My dad had finally decided he was going to become a snowbird and spend his winters down in Arizona. After two days of driving, we had stopped in New Mexico for the night.

He's always been an early riser, so we were heading out at like 6 AM local to try and get around traffic in downtown. Unfortunately, at this time, NMDOT was completely redoing the main Interstate interchange downtown (I-40 and I-25). They had an overnight detour that put us on a series of side streets. We saw this big Variable Message Sign indicating that we needed to turn at the next stoplight.

My dad saw the left-turn arrow was green, about two blocks ahead, so he got over into what he thought was the left turn lane.

It was the oncoming traffic lane. And the light was turning yellow.

He gunned his SUV, got onto the proper side street to take us back to the Interstate - while I'm holding on for dear life in the passenger seat, and my wife is still half asleep in back.

Once we made the turn, the full impact hit me: we just made a wrong turn in Albuquerque.
As someone who used to live in Albuquerque, I can really appreciate the "god damned road construction" aspect of this story.

And so ends Day 1 of caring for a friends cat. It's already not happy about the situation... like, it's not ANGRY at me but it doesn't want anything to do with me ether. And I need to give it meds twice a day orally. DIS GONNA BE GOOD.