Bah. This is what I get for working nights and waking up at midnight on my days off. So I'll just leave this here anyway...

Katanakka.

:p

GasBandit

Staff member
Welp, now that the word "Jeff" has lost all meaning...

I heard Money For Nothing by Dire Straits come on at the restaurant where I was eating lunch. I was curious to see what they would do about the politically incorrect parts of the second verse. I was a little disappointed that they just skipped from the first to the third verse after the chorus. While I could have understood squelching the word in question (like we used to do for the word "fuck" in Jeremy by Pearl Jam when my station was rock instead of sports talk), skipping an entire verse is just lazy.

Welp, now that the word "Jeff" has lost all meaning...

I heard Money For Nothing by Dire Straits come on at the restaurant where I was eating lunch. I was curious to see what they would do about the politically incorrect parts of the second verse. I was a little disappointed that they just skipped from the first to the third verse after the chorus. While I could have understood squelching the word in question (like we used to do for the word "fuck" in Jeremy by Pearl Jam when my station was rock instead of sports talk), skipping an entire verse is just lazy.
I just noticed that a few months ago. The radio station I was listening to played the non-edited version, and it occurred to me that I hadn't heard that verse in such a long time, I forgot it even existed. To be honest, I don't think it adds that much to the song: the point gets across just as clearly without it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just noticed that a few months ago. The radio station I was listening to played the non-edited version, and it occurred to me that I hadn't heard that verse in such a long time, I forgot it even existed. To be honest, I don't think it adds that much to the song: the point gets across just as clearly without it.
Well, I'm not decrying it as putting pants on the David or anything, it's just simple to remove the one word in general and keep the artists' song otherwise intact.

Also, it strikes me like the old cartoons they won't show any more because a bomb explosion leaves a character in blackface or something. The whole thing where, "if we just pretend it never happened so people forget about it, everything will be great" type stuff.

Edit - from wikipedia:

"...many Warner Bros. cartoons contain fleeting or sometimes extended gags that reference then-common racial or ethnic stereotypes. The release of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 3 includes a disclaimer at the beginning of each DVD in the volume given by Whoopi Goldberg which explains that the cartoons are products of their time and contain racial and ethnic stereotypes that "were wrong then and they are wrong today", but the cartoons are presented on the DVD uncut and uncensored because "editing them would be the same as denying that the stereotypes existed."

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
I have no idea what you mean by "Jeff".

The entire controversial verse in Money For Nothing isn't even in the album version I bought almost 20 years ago, for the record. Or for the CD.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have no idea what you mean by "Jeff".

The entire controversial verse in Money For Nothing isn't even in the album version I bought almost 20 years ago, for the record. Or for the CD.
To me, the official version of anything is the version Wierd Al parodies.

That little Clampett got his own ce-ment pond.
That little Clampett he's a mil-li-on-aire.

GasBandit

Staff member
I ALWAYS GET THAT WORD WRONG AND I ALWAYS WILL BECAUSE IT VIOLATES THE GRAMMATICAL RULES.

Seriously, it's like, when they rolled my character, they gave away my ability to spell "wierd" for +1 to a random stat or something.

I ALWAYS GET THAT WORD WRONG AND I ALWAYS WILL BECAUSE IT VIOLATES THE GRAMMATICAL RULES.

Seriously, it's like, when they rolled my character, they gave away my ability to spell "wierd" for +1 to a random stat or something.
I do as well, every time. I remember how to spell it now because my wife told me it's spelling is weird.

GasBandit

Staff member

Also, more words break that rule than follow it anyways. [emoji14] I feel like we already said that though.
Nah, there's just a few. The vast majority follow the rule, so long as you're not talking about the EE sound and not the AY sound.

I was a little disappointed that they just skipped from the first to the third verse after the chorus.
This was the only version I knew until after I went to college and heard it from a different station that played the extra lyrics. But our local stations played a different version of "Heart of Rock and Roll," too. Thanks to all the 2004 hubbub, I'm not even allowed to hear an uncut version of "Money" any more.
Nah, there's just a few. The vast majority follow the rule, so long as you're not talking about the EE sound and not the AY sound.
Oh let's not start this again.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Number of people I've seen actually complain about the Starbucks cups: 0
Number of people I've seen actually complain about the people complaining about the Starbucks cups: 11,213,412,213

I guarantee you my mom will find a way to bitch about the Starbucks cups to me at some point. She has already posted on Facebook about how Happy Holidays is a war against Christians.

Number of people I've seen actually complain about the Starbucks cups: 0
Number of people I've seen actually complain about the people complaining about the Starbucks cups: 11,213,412,213
I guarantee you my mom will find a way to bitch about the Starbucks cups to me at some point. She has already posted on Facebook about how Happy Holidays is a war against Christians.
(Starbucks barista filling up Holiday cup): "Would you like me to leave room for Tolerance?"

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been pronouncing Either, leisure, neither, and seized wrong this entire time!
Indeed you have. ;) They're pronounced EYE-ther, LEZSH-ur, n-EYE-ther, and... well, ok SEEZED. So there's one exception.

But you definitely haven't been mispronouncing piece, niece, believe, fierce, achieve, yield, thief, chief, collie, deceive, ceiling, receipt, conceive, receive, or perceive!

fade

Staff member
Well, uh, I guess Star Wars Cancer Guy wasn't lying. Either that, or Disney had him whacked after letting him see the movie.