That's why I use discogs.com to catalog my record collection. I enter all new acquisitions to my collection, and make new releases if my copy isn't listed (Atlantic is a prime example: each pressing plant variation is a separate entry for a given release). So I know my library stands at ~384 albums, give or take a couple I haven't entered yet.

Plus, it could comer in handy if, heaven forbid, disaster were to strike. It's an off-site log of my collection, and since folks buy and sell through there, has an approximate value of it all.
I use dvd profiler, but the majority of american stuff is in my parents collection and I am too lazy to go through their stuff and catalog it for them. I have 3 generations of games at 200 discs and probably 3000 american production discs.

fade

Staff member
I don't really have any collections of anything besides books. And even that isn't terribly huge (about 4 7 foot bookcases). I think it's reactionary because my mom is a mild hoarder. She's not anything like the television show people, but on the other hand she does keep a lot of stuff.

Yes its called collecterz.
Thank you!!! I added the app and have been working on this for the last few hours. In that time I've only scratched the surface, but this is sooooooooo much better than when I was going to do it manually in Excel!

fade

Staff member
I get the cuteness of the one headlight reference, but it seems really odd to use a song about the aftermath of a suicide to sell motorcycle insurance.

GasBandit

Staff member
How is the world going to end? Super-intelligent robots? A comet hurtling towards Earth? Our own foolish greed, pride and stupidity? Either way, CNN has us covered.
When businessman Ted Turner founded CNN in 1980, he made it clear that the cable network was 100% committed to television news. “We won’t be signing off until the world ends,” he said. “We’ll be on, and we will cover the end of the world, live, and that will be our last event . . . we’ll play ‘Nearer, My God, to Thee’ before we sign off.”
Jalopnik has unearthed that very clip, buried in CNN’s intranet video database. It is titled “TURNER DOOMSDAY VIDEO” and it comes with the ominous warning: “HFR (hold for release) till end of the world confirmed”.

fade

Staff member
People complain about Adobe's new pricing structure, but now that it's accessible (legally) to the masses, we get short films by 3 man crews that rival pro stuff.

Not that my wife would let me, but if I ever have a son, I'd like to name him Django. But, Django Unchained and Jango Fett screws that up. I've been a Django Reinhardt fan since college. I would be annoyed by people asking about the name origin. Oh well. We didn't name our daughter Isabella, b/c of Twilight. My grandmother's middle name is Isabella. Can't do that either.

Is that stupid? Probably. Oh well.

I've been using the name Anna for RP stuff for a long time. It's a good thing I probably won't have more kids because I wouldn't want use the name now and it makes me sad. ;)

Not that my wife would let me, but if I ever have a son, I'd like to name him Django. But, Django Unchained and Jango Fett screws that up. I've been a Django Reinhardt fan since college. I would be annoyed by people asking about the name origin. Oh well. We didn't name our daughter Isabella, b/c of Twilight. My grandmother's middle name is Isabella. Can't do that either.

Is that stupid? Probably. Oh well.
The Spaghetti Western Django was named for Reinhardt. Fett and Unchained were named for the character. So in the long run they are all named for you guitarist.

But 2 years ago every bitch at the dog park was named 'Bella.

fade

Staff member
Naming my kids has really educated me on collective conscience patterns. I thought we would be cool back in 03 when my son was born by giving him an unusual name. About half his class has weird names (in three states now, for completeness). For my daughter, I thought we'd use a name traditionally viewed as an older lady's name. Her entire group of friends has old lady names. And here I thought I was original. LITESPEED BRIEFS.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have to say I mentally level incredibly harsh judgement on parents who name their kids unconventional names. I know, I know, you have your reasons/special attachments, but I can't shake the "no, MY kid is the specialest snowflake!" narrative my mind built around you naming your kid "Anais" or "Madison."

Also, Jazz musician names are first on the list of this kinda stuff.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2008/10/14/10-ways-to-avoid-hipster-baby-names.html

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait, madison is a special snowflake name?
Hell yes. It's one of those "I don't want to name my daughter an overtly feminine name because bosses will skip over her resume" names. Madison. Harper. Jordan. Sutton. Carson. Peyton. Riley. HUNTER. SLOAN. DILLON.

Sometimes seeing what people name their kids, even the Libertarian inside me starts to wonder if those European nations that have entire governmental departments that do nothing but approve or veto baby names aren't on to something.

When I was pregnant with Noah I wanted to give him a not very popular name, but not highly unusual. Noah was in the low 20s on the Social Security annual list of baby names. Every year since that name has gotten more and more popular. It was the USA's overall number 1 name for boys in 2013.

Lily was also in the mid-20s, but hasn't gotten any higher than 15 since she was born. She was almost Lorien which I picked as a shortened version of Lothlorien, but then her brother intervened.

Hell yes. It's one of those "I don't want to name my daughter an overtly feminine name because bosses will skip over her resume" names. Madison. Harper. Jordan. Sutton. Carson. Peyton. Riley. HUNTER. SLOAN. DILLON.
"Take a last name. Make it a first name," is what I call it. In addition to the ones you listed there are Kennedy, Kinley (from McKinley), Mackenzie, Brogan (which is an Irish last name as well as a type of leather work shoe)...all surnames.

Lily was also in the mid-20s, but hasn't gotten any higher than 15 since she was born. She was almost Lorien which I picked as a shortened version of Lothlorien, but then her brother intervened.
Mr. Z has said for close to a decade now he wanted to name a future child "Lothlorien". I veto'd that, particularly because his poor mom would never be able to say it. (She doesn't have a heavy Asian accent, but still has trouble with some words.)

We flipped Li'l Z's originally intended first and middle names because I realized the middle name we had chosen made it sound like he had two last names. And it's not one of those trendy ones, either, it just happens to be an older name that's always been common as a first or last name. But we still call him by his middle name, which was supposed to be his first name, anyway.

GasBandit

Staff member
When I was pregnant with Noah I wanted to give him a not very popular name, but not highly unusual. Noah was in the low 20s on the Social Security annual list of baby names. Every year since that name has gotten more and more popular. It was the USA's overall number 1 name for boys in 2013.

Noah seems to strike me as a good balance of uncommon but not weird, but that's purely subjective. Lorien.... ehhh.... maybe her brother had the right idea ;) though I have a friend who has a sister named Lori.

Heck, even this board aside, I've known an Errol and an Ariel (male). The latter one was in 1st grade summer camp, so naturally he got taunted mercilessly... and this even predated Disney's little mermaid - kids just called him Oreo.

Then there are the wackos who theme name. I had a friend in high school whose parents named all their kids (and they had several) starting with the letter K. Eldest was Kyle. Ok, nothing odd there. Then they had a daughter and named her... Kottie. Uh... what? Then a son (my friend) named Keenan. I forget what his younger brother was named, but it started with K.

Then his older sister got pregnant (not married), got excommunicated (mormons), ended up having two kids by different fathers (still not married)... older kid was named... Kayern? Kairn? Rhymes with Iron but I'm not sure of the spelling other than it starts with K. Younger kid I don't remember either... but also started with K!

fade

Staff member

Sometimes seeing what people name their kids, even the Libertarian inside me starts to wonder if those European nations that have entire governmental departments that do nothing but approve or veto baby names aren't on to something.
Hmm, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there, Bob. Maybe once upon a time Madison was a unique name. But now every 3rd girl is named Madison.[DOUBLEPOST=1420575621,1420575209][/DOUBLEPOST]We named our son Koren (pronounced like the cat in DBZ). Though my Jewish friends tell me it's more properly pronounced like the name Corrine. Whatever. Poor kid has been mislabeled "Karen" so many times.

Koren's classmates have such names as "Blaise", "Houston", "Ivan (Latin pronunciation, not Russian, so like Yvonne)", "Storm", etc.

My daughter's name is Eleanor. Her friends are Miriam, Martha, Rose, etc.

I'm the fifth frakkin' Margaret Lynn in a row. My family has no imagination when it comes to names.

Guess what I would not name my daughter, if I had one, no matter how much my mother and grandmother bitched and moaned.

I'm a little cranky about it.

I have to say I mentally level incredibly harsh judgement on parents who name their kids unconventional names. I know, I know, you have your reasons/special attachments, but I can't shake the "no, MY kid is the specialest snowflake!" narrative my mind built around you naming your kid "Anais" or "Madison."

Also, Jazz musician names are first on the list of this kinda stuff.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2008/10/14/10-ways-to-avoid-hipster-baby-names.html
Huh. Didn't think I would pass that list. Although we nickname Sebastian as "Bax", so fail on the X-at-the-end criterion if nicknames count.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hmm, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there, Bob. Maybe once upon a time Madison was a unique name. But now every 3rd girl is named Madison.
Doesn't make it any less of a not-a-girl-name girl name.

Also, related to this discussion -

I'm the fifth frakkin' Margaret Lynn in a row. My family has no imagination when it comes to names.

Guess what I would not name my daughter, if I had one, no matter how much my mother and grandmother bitched and moaned.

I'm a little cranky about it.
Some one please post a link to that scene fron Ted. You know the one, it made Nick tinkle in his pants when we saw it.

If I ever have a kid, and it's a boy, I kinda want to name him Roger, after my dad. I just like the idea of past family names continuing down the line.