Early on in my Swiftkey use, I typed "How's thongs?" instead of "things," and to this day when I type "How's" it recommends "thongs." Sometimes I don't notice...

fade

Staff member
From another thread, I was just thinking that one thing I learned from being married to a cop is that Hollywood's idea of prostitute prices is waaaaaaay overinflated. When they quote prices in the hundreds or thousands, I laugh now. I mean, just think about the income level of the principal clientele. It would be a short lived business at those prices.

So you know how Windows versions alternate good, bad, good, bad, right?

Well, Microsoft has decided to skip the "good" one this time. After Windows 8 (bad), the next windows version is... Windows 10.

http://techreport.com/news/27134/windows-9-is-actually-called-windows-10
There's been a lot of talk of Microsoft ether giving it to Win 8 users for free or charging a minimal amount for the upgrade as a loyalty thing (and because Win 8 users would be justifiably upset if they didn't).

Saw the news. Is this really that big of a deal?

...I don't Sports much.

--Patrick
Yeah, it kind of is. Basically, even if a game was scheduled to be televised, if it hasn't sold 85 to 100 percent of the available tickets by 72 hours prior, the NFL can require the local affiliate covering the game to not air it in the local market, meaning that as a local fan, you don't get to see it. For example, if the Philadelphia Eagles only sold 65% of their tickets as of 72 hours to go, then even if they sell the remainder by kickoff, you wouldn't be seeing the game on a local Philly station - you'd need to have bought a "sports package" subscription via DirectTV or a similar service to be able to see the game.

It will likely break the Texan's home sell out streak.

It could cause teams to sell less tickets. Some companies actually buy up unsold tickets in some markets, just so their employees can watch the games from home.

I'm sure this is only because the NFL is planning to pull -all- of their broadcasts and start their own nfl network. That's their dream, right?

I'm sure this is only because the NFL is planning to pull -all- of their broadcasts and start their own nfl network. That's their dream, right?
I think the current dream is a Netflix like service that circumvents commercials entirely in favor of subs or a free version with commercials, but that's not going to happen as long as the cable companies can throttle access.

Yeah, it kind of is. Basically, even if a game was scheduled to be televised, if it hasn't sold 85 to 100 percent of the available tickets by 72 hours prior, the NFL can require the local affiliate covering the game to not air it in the local market, meaning that as a local fan, you don't get to see it. For example, if the Philadelphia Eagles only sold 65% of their tickets as of 72 hours to go, then even if they sell the remainder by kickoff, you wouldn't be seeing the game on a local Philly station - you'd need to have bought a "sports package" subscription via DirectTV or a similar service to be able to see the game.
Actually even Sunday ticket is effected by the blackout rules

Well, after spending two days at Kennedy Krieger, it's official. My son is on the autism spectrum.

I wasn't really that surprised. Still, hearing it officially was a bit stressful.

GasBandit

Staff member
All the demos of Win10 I've seen so far sure make it look like win8, aesthetically speaking. Bleck.[DOUBLEPOST=1412203927,1412203565][/DOUBLEPOST]
No, it's because there'd be huge internal recognition errors if they named anything Windows 9x.
Aha, you just saw the same reddit/tech report article I did, eh?

http://techreport.com/news/27144/this-might-be-why-windows-10-isnt-called-windows-9

We were all pretty surprised when Microsoft announced the name of its new OS yesterday. The company justified the name choice by saying Windows 10 represents too great a leap over Windows 8 to be called anything else. However, a Redditor who claims to work for Microsoft has suggested another explanation:

Microsoft dev here, the internal rumours are that early testing revealed just how many third party products that had code of the form

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9"))
{ /* 95 and 98 */
} else {

and that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.

This seemed suspect to me, since internally, Windows version numbers are a long way from 9 still. However, a couple of searchcode lookups linked by another Redditor suggest some software does use the method above to look up Windows 95 and 98.

So, yeah. Microsoft's name choice might have been more of a pragmatic move than a marketing stunt. Funny.

So, yeah. Microsoft's name choice might have been more of a pragmatic move than a marketing stunt. Funny.
FWIW, the same thing happened with Mac OS X "Tiger" moved from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 (and 10.4.11). It was the first time the minor revision ever made it into double digits, and so much code would just do a straight up IF (ver < min_req) THEN FAIL but the trouble is that (as anyone with a large collection of movies/music/folders/whatever knows) "9" will get sorted as "bigger" than "11" and break things.

--Patrick

Weird Random Thoughts Floating Around in My Head
by Frank

1. I am jealous of Terry Crews. The man is a powerhouse of talent. He's a pretty incredible artist, has amazing comic timing, the body of several Greek gods and is completely fearless in his performances and as a combination of all those previous things, likely has a work ethic that eclipses my own by several orders of magnitude.

2. Whenever I am reminded there is a Warcraft movie being made, it bums me out that Vladimir Kulich isn't a younger man. The dude still would have been the best choice for Arthas easily.

3. Every time that Gamergate stuff is brought up here, it's still impossible for me to disassociate it with misogyny since it still almost without question always targets women.

4. The corporal in charge of me is probably the most understanding manager I've ever had in my entire life. I have no idea why once a corporal gets promoted to sergeant, they always become insane bootlickers to the whiteshirts in charge (doubly so once they become a staff sergeant). I guess that's why they get promoted.

5. I am forever grateful that I never have to interact with the inspector in charge of my division.

6. Despite the rocky start to my current relationship, I've never been happier with someone. I get made fun of by my coworkers for going after somebody older than myself (she's 3 years older...OOOOOOOO.) but as I've said before in I actually think this thread, I don't get why they try to get into relationships with children.

7. I only have a few really close friends that are members, mostly from my first watch up north (and I get to see these folks almost never anymore since we've been spread to the wind). My best friend is someone who has nothing to do with the RCMP.

8. My mother has become increasingly distant from me and my brothers say the same thing. It's becoming very worrying.

9. My father's cancer prognosis has been upgraded significantly. It seems very likely that he's going to get out of this alive and, well, not well, but alive. This has been a significant source of stress in my life and the release of this pressure has been good for my sleep, which I have not done properly in well over a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay
So you are above the blistering debate in the house of commons? Or is it below? It's a silly thing.
Oh that shit.

I don't care which way they go. It's a really, really dumb and pointless (and misdirecting) debate. If they do end up moving us to toques it won't stop me from still having my fur hat.

I guess I could see the side of the fur trade from the far north, it is a huge part of their livelihood.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wow. Lost me at "gay", "libtard", and a general misunderstanding of basically everything left of center.
The kind of guys who build AKs out of shovels are not likely to be sympathetic to anything liberal... or even moderate. Heh.

fade

Staff member
The kind of guys who build AKs out of shovels are not likely to be sympathetic to anything liberal... or even moderate. Heh.
The funny thing is that this build would be peachy keen with most liberals I know. The real ones, not the loud hippy types. The problem isn't guns themselves, but ease of access. This is kind of the opposite of easy to access...

I find the naming of months slightly annoying. When they switched from Roman to Julian/Gregorian calendars, why didn't they rename them.

My renaming scheme:
April
August
February
January
July
June
September
October
November
December
March
May

But, then all kinds of songs and poems would get jacked up. The darling frosty buds of May...

Better yet just have numerals for all the months.

Unimember
Dumember
Trimember
Quadmember
Quinmember
Sexmember
September
October
November
December
Undecember
Duodecember