I love spring ahead! More daylight hours in the evenings, baby! Shit doesn't phase me at all. I get up at like 4:30-5:00 am everyday anyway.

It ultimately didn't affect me that much but after my day yesterday, getting home at what turned out to be 3am was daunting as fuck.

Cajungal

Staff member
I love spring ahead! More daylight hours in the evenings, baby! Shit doesn't phase me at all. I get up at like 4:30-5:00 am everyday anyway.
Although the time change always throws me off for a few days, I'm also happy about longer days. It's something I'm willing to deal with if it means I can see the sun at 7 pm.

I'm sure I'll get used to it. It was just that whole being woken an hour earlier by a cat that bothered me. They don't get the time change memo.

Cajungal

Staff member
Bad day, but also a good day. I actually cried at a grade level meeting... like a little bitch. Everyone was really nice. One of the other long-term subs said he was surprised it took me this long to snap when it usually happens to other people in the first couple of weeks. I was blaming myself for some things that have happened in the past couple of weeks, and they made me feel much better. They told me not to sweat it and that I can only do so much. Basically, they told me that accountability is a two-way street, and they're not holding up their end. It's nice to know they have my back. What they told me really supported some things I've been thinking but not really acting on.

Every time I check the "published work" on my CV, I love to imagine that one of the first articles I wrote for the newspaper I worked at ('Captain America dies fighting his government') talked about real things and not about the death of Cap after the Civil War.

I tried posting a pic in the New picture thread and I couldn't. It's not like I haven't done it before, I don't know what went wrong. I think I might be dumb.

M

makare

Why do so many guys in the military wear their uniform to events, like their wedding, instead of a regular suit?

I wore mine because I HAVE no formal attire. The uniform _IS_ my good suit. *wry smile*

That, and Blues are widely renowned for being... what was it... ah yes: "The Shit."

M

makare

Hmm yeah. I don't really like it aesthetically. Especially in weddings because the uniform is so disjointed from the rest of the wedding theme. But I know that it is a popular thing to do.

Just don't marry a soldier if you want a guy to wear a penguin costume to your wedding.

The only time I objected to someone wearing his dress blues to a wedding, was when this guy a know wore his, 2 years after his discharge.

I wore my mess blues to my second wedding, I matched the colors of the wedding quite well especially since the flowers chosen for the wedding were actual Blue Orchids brought in from India.

W

Wasabi Poptart

You do not have to wear your uniform if you are active duty and getting married. It's up to the bride and groom. My husband wore a tuxedo. I didn't want him to wear his uniform.

Cajungal

Staff member
Had a really neat conversation with the kids about racism. We were talking about when black children started getting integrated into white schools. One white boy raised his hand after reading and said, "Ms. B, I feel a little funny." I thought he was sick. "No," he says, "I feel bad. Because my white ancestors might have hurt black people. Also, there are black people in this classroom." I thought it was kind of cool that a kid that young would talk about how such a sad truth in history makes him uncomfortable. I just explained that a lot of people feel bad that it happened, and we just have to face our history and try to do better than the people who came before us. One of the black girls next to him added, "You know, it doesn't make me feel too happy either!" and then the white kid looked embarrassed. Then she patted him on the shoulder and smiled. Finally, a boy in the back who never EVER speaks picked up his head and said, "Huh... this was more like... a conversation." (I guess more of a conversation than a lesson.) And everyone kind of commented that they were glad we had talked about it.

It was a pretty cool day.