So...twitter. Thoughts anyone? I'm debating about getting one, but as always I'm WAY late to the party. Is it still worth it to get one? Or should I pass...I mean, I have more media sites where I post than I probably should. (deviantart, 2 on facebook, tumblr, skype, here...)

Yeah, I just want thoughts, opinions.
It's free, sign up, see if you use it. I read way more than I post to it. I use it for news/journalists mostly. I've been trying to post more because I think I'm funnier than I am, and assume my 20 followers want to hear about it.

But yeah. Try it out. I like it fine.

I don't know your interests but I could try recommending a few people. Definitely follow Every Tweet Ever

figmentPez

Staff member
So...twitter. Thoughts anyone?
Figure out if there are people you want to follow on Twitter, or if you'd be more likely to make a tweet than a Facebook or Tumblr post. For me the answer is "yes" to both, but I'm not sure it would be for you.

Twitter is still an active thing for many people. It can be a time-suck, though. I'm not about to give up my Twitter, though. There are too many people I have fun with on there: Kate "SheGeek" Welch, CatalystSirene, Kiaxet, DalishTook... and that's not counting Halforumites, or people I follow who I don't interact with. (Personally I think Twitter is the best way to find out when Humble Bundles start, as well as some other news. It's the only way I'd know some webcomics updated.)

So...twitter. Thoughts anyone? I'm debating about getting one, but as always I'm WAY late to the party. Is it still worth it to get one? Or should I pass...I mean, I have more media sites where I post than I probably should. (deviantart, 2 on facebook, tumblr, skype, here...)

Well, I know Twitter's got FB integration now so you can just post to Twitter and it'll update your FB status. I have a few friends who do that. I don't use Twitter, but I do find myself reading some peoples' because they can be entertaining (Weird Al, Jim Carrey, etc) or even a decent way to keep up on news with games. I think I'd mirror what CS said, sign up, see if you like how it works and if you use it. If not, just delete it or let it rot.

Twitter could be a lot of fun for you from conventions and stuff, where you can send something quick off on the fly and it's like we're there with you!

Also I have my Facebook Paintings page set up to automatically tweet when I post to it, and you can too. :)

I see only good coming from you having a Twitter account.

Okay, so consensus is to give it a go. Now the hard part...choosing a username!! Do I go classic with Kags or use my actual name? I don't even know... :)

Okay, so consensus is to give it a go. Now the hard part...choosing a username!! Do I go classic with Kags or use my actual name? I don't even know... :)
I will follow you and critique your Twitter style*.

*Critiquing will not actually ensue, as I am lazy. Just randomly assume you're bad at Twitter and glare in my general direction, if you don't mind.

figmentPez

Staff member
Good opportunity to try out Foxodendron? (Wait, I'm not sure that was it. I thought it'd be fun to combine Fox and Toxicodendron (Poison Ivy), and then you shortened it somehow...)

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been thinking a lot about the Joker, with my monologue, and it occurred to me that the Predator would be cause for a Joker / Batman team-up. Sadly the Joker never shows up in any of the BvP story-arcs. Kind of a shame, because I can see the Joker being really pissed at the Predators because they have even less of a sense of humor than Batman. It'd be fun to see Joker save Batman just because the Predators are about to break his toy.

I can even picture the ending. The Joker takes down the last predator with a variation on some classic prat-fall or gag. I'm thinking maybe an anvil dropped on him or something. I dunno, but in any case the Joker would laugh hysterically while Batman just looks grim and exhausted. Eventually the Joker slows down, notices that Batman isn't laughing, turns to him and says "Fuck you Bats, it's funny!"

Kags: I like the hit-and-run nature of Twitter, and the breaking news aspect as well. I suspect Gas doesn't care much for it because it essentially puts the existing MSM out of business unless they're on top of it first.

jwhouk is the handle, in case you care. Warning: most of my tweets are about a certain hockey team (their term, not mine) based out of Nashville.

I'm not big on Instagram, but that's mainly because I don't understand the point of making pictures of your lunch look like they're 50 years old.

GasBandit

Staff member
I suspect Gas doesn't care much for it because it essentially puts the existing MSM out of business unless they're on top of it first.
No, I don't like it mostly because I abhor most social media because it is one of the leading contributors to the "always connected, never invested, drowning in information while starving for knowledge" cancer eating away at western civilization every day. Twitter egregiously so because its format appeals to the attention deficit and reinforces their scatterbrained dysfunctions and has all the informative value of shouting in a crowded sports arena while wearing a diving helmet. Hollering into the darkness at no-one and everyone. And then Instagram trowels on an extra layer of pretentiousness and drops the already-loose literacy requirement.

I'll happily give anyone a follow on twitter, tell me ye handles all! Including you jwhouk!

I can understand the hate of instagram, especially with all the food pic's. I think I've taken one picture of food? It was strawberries. It wasn't exciting. I think most of my pictures just plain don't make any sense.

Also, mine is just LittleKagsin, so feel free to give me a follow!

I'll happily give anyone a follow on twitter, tell me ye handles all! Including you jwhouk!

I can understand the hate of instagram, especially with all the food pic's. I think I've taken one picture of food? It was strawberries. It wasn't exciting. I think most of my pictures just plain don't make any sense.

Also, mine is just LittleKagsin, so feel free to give me a follow!
I am here: Garbledina

No, I don't like it mostly because I abhor most social media because it is one of the leading contributors to the "always connected, never invested, drowning in information while starving for knowledge" cancer eating away at western civilization every day. Twitter egregiously so because its format appeals to the attention deficit and reinforces their scatterbrained dysfunctions and has all the informative value of shouting in a crowded sports arena while wearing a diving helmet. Hollering into the darkness at no-one and everyone. And then Instagram trowels on an extra layer of pretentiousness and drops the already-loose literacy requirement.
I agree with some of what you're saying. There is something of an inherent self-aggrandising, shortsighted, distracted nature to, well, all social media. And, a not insignificant amount of Twitter is noise. I contest the idea, however, that it can't help you be invested or be a source for knowledge. Following news organisations can be useful, but redundant (go to their sites, put them on an RSS reader; I still nonetheless follow several) but following journalists can be really very awesome. They'll talk about things as they happen, possibly make mention of stuff that doesn't get put in their articles, etc. Additionally it is possible to sort out a conversation or follow people who provide amusement or interest and get something out of that.

I mean, it's like, well, anything. It can be used, abused, exceptionally good or terrible. Obviously I'm not trying to convince you to use it, but the complaints about people tweeting about their lunch or shouting about how their day is going is generally lazy, or at the least, you're just looking at the wrong people. There are plenty of people who provide interesting commentary, or content that is enjoyable.

But then, I guess my first mistake is that I'm also more optimistic about western civilization than you are.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm not big on Instagram, but that's mainly because I don't understand the point of making pictures of your lunch look like they're 50 years old.
Personally, I like seeing photos of tasty food, but I can see how someone would think that's pointless. The real reason for Instagram, filters aside, is to share snippets of your life quickly and easily with friends. I like seeing photos of friends right after they've run a marathon, or from their vacation. I love seeing beautiful sunsets, and goofy faces mugging for the camera. I want to see images from the lives of people who are important to me.

DarkAudit. Always DarkAudit wherever I post. :D

I don't apologize for using instagram. Was super effective at posting my DC vacation pics to most of my other sites in one go.

GasBandit

Staff member
DarkAudit. Always DarkAudit wherever I post. :D

I don't apologize for using instagram. Was super effective at posting my DC vacation pics to most of my other sites in one go.
Facilitating the ease of subjecting others to vacation snapshots in and of itself should be enough to damn Instagram in charges of crimes against humanity.

Of course, I say the same goes for flickr, tumblr, and any other large batch of photo-centric social sites. All MY vay-cay photos are properly locked behind a password gate, and I had to host them myself in order to torture my relatives, thankyouverymuch!

Facilitating the ease of subjecting others to vacation snapshots in and of itself should be enough to damn Instagram in charges of crimes against humanity.

Of course, I say the same goes for flickr, tumblr, and any other large batch of photo-centric social sites. All MY vay-cay photos are properly locked behind a password gate, and I had to host them myself in order to torture my relatives, thankyouverymuch!
It pisses GasBandit off. I'm doing it right. :p

Tumblr feels like sharing ideas, humor, art.

Twitter I have to force myself to think of things to post, and then force myself to read tweets. I neglect it for days at a time because I never get anything out of it. It feels like garbage, garbage that fucks and impregnates itself, and makes millions of little garbages every second.