Whenever I come here and see I have a lot of alerts, my first thought is "crap, what did I do now?" I usually can't remember what I posted the last time.

Well, I broke the band to my favorite head-phones. They still work, but now I'll have to glue it back together and whenever I wear them there will be this worrying feeling that it will break at any moment. Cest la vie.

Well, I broke the band to my favorite head-phones. They still work, but now I'll have to glue it back together and whenever I wear them there will be this worrying feeling that it will break at any moment. Cest la vie.
Pshht. I've broken/glued/broken/melted together/broken my Sonys so often, now I just put 'em on and put a hat on over 'em to keep 'em on my head.

--Patrick

Was able to keep family off my back for stashing away a "vacation fund" by declaring it off limits due to potential car issues come state inspection time. I knew by the sounds it was making that something was amiss.

Took the car in today. Needs new rear struts. ~$450 for parts and labor. I've got ~$450 saved up in the "vacation jar" since the first of the year.

So it goes.

Watch them all message you back scheduling dates at the exact same time.
And of course, you'll agree to all of them, and have to meet them all at different tables at the same restaurant, constantly excusing yourself 'to the bathroom' to go set with the next one.

I wish tumblr had 'message received' notification. Because seriously, I never know if people get the messages I send them. I don't care if they reply to me, I just want to know that they got it. Especially since tumblr has a habit of eating messages anyway.

fade

Staff member
Man, I am so sick of the tired, unrealistic, "I wish I was normal again" whine from kids who develop superpowers. "Woe is me, I can lift cars with my brain. Boo hoo to go to the prom, which for some reason my completely concealable superpower that interferes in no way with my life seems to prevent." (re latest Teen Titans/Death of Family preview)

Man, I am so sick of the tired, unrealistic, "I wish I was normal again" whine from kids who develop superpowers. "Woe is me, I can lift cars with my brain. Boo hoo to go to the prom, which for some reason my completely concealable superpower that interferes in no way with my life seems to prevent." (re latest Teen Titans/Death of Family preview)
DAMN STRAIGHT! This has always- ALWAYS bothered me. When I was a kid, I would dream about being some kind of super-person. And yet every other damn hero just whines and whines and whines about how much it sucks to be a hero.

Whats even worse are the damn side-kick characters who complain about how much it sucks being a side-kick. Oh boo-hoo, you go on adventures that every child dreams of, but it sucks because you're a low level super hero! Frikkin' ridiculous.

The X-men can whine as much as they want though, for living in quite possibly the worst universe to live in EVER.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, as my old man pointed out, those kids-developing-super powers stories are all really thinly-veiled parables about puberty to get adolescents to identify with them. Especially x-men. That one is so blatant it has mutant powers manifest during puberty.

If my understanding of comics (spider-man movies) holds, they don't mind the powers themselves. Just the responsibilities they feel having those powers entails.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think he means because the government is incredibly anti-mutant and persecutes them all the time. Also its illegal for them to have sex so...yeah they get a pass.
My point was, that's what teens think the scope of THEIR problems are, too. They're wierd mutants and everybody hates them.

My point was, that's what teens think the scope of THEIR problems are, too. They're weird mutants and everybody hates them.
Oh, okay then.

You know who is pretty much the opposite of most Marvel heroes most of the time? Human Torch. That dude just lives it up almost all the time. Sure his ex-wife gave birth to a tentacle monster(I REALLY wish I didn't know that) but he is generally livin' good most of the time.

fade

Staff member
Spidey can be, too, depending on the writer/era. He has problems in his non-superpowered life, but he usually cuts loose as Spidey, and geniunely seems to enjoy his powers. Least he did when I was reading it.

figmentPez

Staff member
I wish tumblr had 'message received' notification. Because seriously, I never know if people get the messages I send them. I don't care if they reply to me, I just want to know that they got it. Especially since tumblr has a habit of eating messages anyway.
I wish every system had some sort of delivery confirmation. Tumblr, DeviantArt, Twitter DMs, etc. It would relieve a lot of my stress if I just knew if someone had read what I wrote.

fade

Yeah, Spidey doesn't really complain about be a super...more or less his absolutely HORRIBLE life. I mean my dark lord, the fact that he goes through all that tragedy and yet he STILL does it while cracking jokes is amazing. You could say its unrealistic for him to be so optimistic, but that doesn't mean bad. Damn, got me paraphrasing Randomverse Batman up in this.

I wish every system had some sort of delivery confirmation. Tumblr, DeviantArt, Twitter DMs, etc. It would relieve a lot of my stress if I just knew if someone had read what I wrote.
But then how can I avoid responding to someone by saying "Oh I must never have got your message?" It's like you guys aren't being considerate of my inconsiderateness.

But then how can I avoid responding to someone by saying "Oh I must never have got your message?" It's like you guys aren't being considerate of my inconsiderateness.
For me, most of the time, I don't even want a reply. (I generally send words of encouragement to people who are having a rough day. I just want to know the message got to them - I expect no reply ever.) So you wouldn't even have to say 'Oh, I didn't get your message." because I would never bring it up.

Just so you know.

Your inconsiderateness is safe with me. :)

figmentPez

Staff member
You'll just have to get more creative in your lying. "It got marked read just as I was interrupted by a call from work. I got so distracted by an emergency that I completely forgotten that I'd started reading something from you."