GasBandit

Staff member

Tommy played piano like a kid out in the rain
Then he lost his leg in Dallas, he was dancing with a train
Then there was the ever-present football player rapist
They were all in love with dying, they were doing it in Texas

I'm not going to joke about this.
Stunt professionals and their crew(s) spend the time planning out their stunts specifically to avoid incidents like this. If you and/or your crew are not trained to anticipate and handle the risks associated with performing stunts like this one, then you should not be performing them.
And if you are someone who thinks, "Well, I've never had any problems so far," then I have a picture of a WWII airplane I want to show you.

--Patrick

Tommy played piano like a kid out in the rain
Then he lost his leg in Dallas, he was dancing with a train
Then there was the ever-present football player rapist
They were all in love with dying, they were doing it in Texas
I feel like I shouldn't laugh, but those pictures are practically a Wile E Coyote storyboard.

I have a childhood friend, a hot girl, with a very unusual name. For the sake of discussion, let's say it's Victoria von Woodencloset. We fell out of contact a couple of decades ago, though, so I don't know what she's up to these days.

I have a new coworker, a hot girl, with a remarkably similar name. For the sake of discussion, let's say it's Veronica de la Woodencloset. I've seen this new coworker, and she's not my childhood friend, but every time I see her name (eg when she sends a message on our internal messaging system) I get a sudden pang of excitement, then a couple of seconds later I go, "Aww."
The plot thickens... slightly.

My childhood friend, Victoria von Woodencloset, has a Facebook account but has not posted to it in literally years. However, other people can tag her in posts and photos. So given that @ThatNickGuy's suggestion made me want to track her down, I popped back onto Facebook and checked her profile. And I noticed that one post from a few years ago, in which she was tagged, also had my coworker Veronica de la Woodencloset tagged in it. As well as a bunch of other people with the name Woodencloset.

So it seems like they're actually part of the same family or clan or something like that, which explains the similarities in their names. So now I'm pondering whether to ask my new coworker whether she knows Victoria von Woodencloset.

(I want to emphasize here that "von Woodencloset" and "de la Woodencloset" are not their actual names, I'm just using them as an example, their real names are in Chinese.)

I distinctly remember receiving an email from my company's IT department last week regarding some new infosec regulations they're going to be enforcing. The new regulations include changing our passwords regularly, not putting work-related files on our desktops, and not connecting non-work-related devices such as our own smartphones and laptops, etc. I was working from home when this email came in, so I made a mental note to read it again and do the stuff on it when I got back into the office.

Except now that I'm back in the office, I can't find this email anywhere. It's not in my inbox, it's not in my spam folder, and it's not in my deleted folder.

Did I dream up a bunch of new IT regulations? Did someone hack my computer and delete this email? Does this mean it's too late for me to do these information security measures, because my computer's been compromised already, it's too late for me, you guys go on without me?

Perhaps, if you proactively adopt these policies, you will receive a commendation for being so security-minded, inspire them to adopt them company-wide, and ultimately discover that you will receive this email in the future.

--Patrick

I would, except I don't remember them.

Also, if I did dream them, how do I know if they're actually good security practices? Does it matter if I have work-related files on my desktop? Am I not allowed to bring my smartphone at all, or am I just banned from connecting it to the company wifi? Also I vaguely seem to recall the email said something about my screen saver? Are my screen saver choices relevant to security?

Every one of these are good practices. Changing passwords regularly can frustrate shoulder surfers. Yes, keeping files locally rather than leaving them on a network share can matter. Probably enough to not connect personal devices to company WiFi. Screen saver should usually be set to activate after a short period rather than a long one, and to ensure it requires a password to wake once the screen saver has kicked in.

--Patrick

Not sure where else to put this. My ex is trying to raise funds for surgery for her cat. If I wasn't working out my own debt, I'd help. If anyone can spare something, it'd be much appreciated.

Dave

Staff member
I'm trying but the GoFundMe isn't going through. I'll try again Friday just in case. (I get paid Friday and am a bit strapped until then).

edit: Got it.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
My GF has replaced most of the cheap plastic handsoap dispensers I've been refilling for years with fancier ones. Naturally these new ones came with their own soap the first time, and they have similarly fancy names/smells.

The one in the kitchen is "Lemon Verbena."

My internet-poisoned brain keeps seeing "Lemon Verguba."

My GF has replaced most of the cheap plastic handsoap dispensers I've been refilling for years with fancier ones. Naturally these new ones came with their own soap the first time, and they have similarly fancy names/smells.

The one in the kitchen is "Lemon Verbena."

My internet-poisoned brain keeps seeing "Lemon Verguba."
Well, you are putting it on your hand.

Something I never expected I'd have to yell at a kitten:

"No, stop attacking my butt!"

Context: I was laying on my side on my bed and Ruff decided to nuzzle up behind me. And suddenly decided my butt was the enemy for absolutely no reason.