GasBandit

Staff member
I want to say I was in 2nd grade before my parents started trusting me to be left on my own alone. Which would have been 7 or 8.

4 is scary young in my opinion!

It’a a hard question to answer as every kid is different. Both of our kids were mature at younger ages and we still waited until they were much older. We kept our youngest in an after school program until he was legally old enough to be home alone for the short time between his bus and his sister’s in the afternoon.

At a much younger age, I wore our house key on a necklace and biked home. Times have changed.

This might be a cultural thing. I know Japan literally has that TV show about sending kids out on their own to do errands at what would be an absurdly early age here in the US, but they also have a cultural expectation that -everyone- that kid meets is going to try and help them get it done and home safe.

I should mention that the family in question is British, and they live in London.
You know, regardless of whether they're British or Asian, I meant to mention earlier that this a shit father? Like, 1) clearly you let your wife, who also has a job, do the majority of the parenting if you are so clueless about the habits, abilities, and emotional/mental maturity of a 4-year-old, and 2) even if you were too cheap to hire a baby-sitter, why the hell wouldn't you let one of your parents watch the kids for a few hours, most likely for free? I hope while the wife is away, she's finding a better husband. That kid deserves it.

Last edited:
I should mention that the family in question is British, and they live in London.
There is no legally mandated minimum age a child has to be before they can be left alone in UK law. That said most parents will treat the child going into secondary school as the age they can be trusted on their own for more than brief periods of time - so about 12-ish. Certainly a lot older than 4.

I was walking back and forth to school as early as 1st or 2nd grade (5-7 yrs old). 3rd&4th grade were far enough away that I had to catch the bus, but the bus stop was about 80ft from where I went to school for 1st & 2nd grade. By 5th grade I was already climbing in through the milk chute whenever I forgot my keys. Until I finally figured out how to shim the front door, that is.

--Patrick

Instead of telling me to have a nice day or something, a customer told me to "keep your stick on the ice."

Uh, okay? I guess that's a hockey thing?

Dave

Staff member
It very much makes fun of the toxic masculinity trope. Red tries to be a handy manly man but he always fails. Harold is a nerd who is pretty progressive and while he's frequently played as the goat he's always the sympathetic and CORRECT character. I'm surprised you didn't care for it as it's (supposedly) eminently Canadian.

When I was a teenager they showed Red Green and Red Dwarf back to back on my local PBS station each week. It was my must-see hour.
When I was in college, the only two stations I got on my rabbit-ears TV were the local Mexican station and PBS.
So same: lots of Red Green, Red Dwarf, and telenovelas.

Huh. We got Red Dwarf, and we got all flavors of Degrassi, but I don't think Red Green ever aired on any of our local affiliates. But I feel like I've heard of him before, though not enough to recognize the catch phrase.

Heh, I watched Red Green and Red Dwarf on the Spokane PBS we got in Alberta.

Funny that I was watching a Canadian tradition on the level of Kids in the Hall, SCTV and the like on an American channel.

In other completely random crap, today I found out there's a Crow reboot (a forever cursed word to me now, thanks Kevin Smith) staring Bill Skarsgard that just finished filming.

If its soundtrack isn't 50% as good as the original (a near impossible task) then what's the fuckin' point?

Dave

Staff member
Since I work nights right now, when I'm on my day off I keep to the same schedule. This morning after my wife and son went to work and before it was my bed time, I'm sitting in the basement with my headphones on playing a game and I hear a voice behind me. I look around...and nothing. I wonder if that was in the game. So I go back to the game and I hear the voice AGAIN. I run upstairs thinking maybe someone yelled in the window but they were all closed and the doors were locked. But from upstairs I hear the voice again from the basement. What the fuck?

I go down to the basement and stand in the middle of the room just waiting when my cat decides she wants to roll over in her box. From beneath her I hear, "That was easy!"

She was laying in the god damned box I'd put my desk stuff in when I left Bellevue University. One of those things was a Staples "That Was Easy" button. The cat was laying on it. Every time she moved it would go off.

1664953951058.png