There's construction going on next door, and so I can hear the banging and sawing and whatnot through my window.

For the last 30 minutes or so, I've heard someone hammering nails to the tune of "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" from Oklahoma.

So, I don't usually do things like this. But if I get enough likes on this video, I'll get a $100 gift card toward a new instrument.
So, it'd really help me out if you went to facebook and liked this video :D

This whole sudden F&F meme resurgence smells like astroturf to me. A whole ton of memes of dubious humor suddenly pop up right as a new F&F is coming out? Seems about as legit as a cardboard standie.
I almost never smell a plant until someone points it out, but this time my first thought was "New F&F must be coming out," and sure enough. Maybe I'm learning, maybe this is just the astroturfiest astroturf that ever astroturfed

So I've mentioned previously in this thread that I have a new hot female subordinate, who I will call "Fiona", and a hot male subordinate who I'll call "Greg", who has been showing interest in her. This is despite her having a boyfriend already.

Well, today Taiwan announced that it's partially lifting the lockdown, so our company decided that half of us will be going back to working in the office, while the other half would continue working from home. So my supervisor divided the five editors in my team into two groups:

Working from homeWorking in the office
Me
Greg
Other Editor A
Fiona
Other Editor B

Now, seeing as I don't mind heading into the office, I offered to switch spots with Fiona or Other Editor B if there was anything preventing them going in. Other Editor B immediately messaged me and asked to switch with me, because he had a family issue that meant it'd be much more convenient for him to stay home for now. Fiona messaged me about five minutes later, also asking to switch with me, but I told her that unfortunately Other Editor B had gotten there first. So now the arrangement looks like:

Greg
Other Editor A
Other Editor B
Me
Fiona

But then Greg messaged our supervisor directly, asking her if he can switch to the group working in the office too. The editors would still be divided into groups of 3 and 2, so there shouldn't be a problem, right? So theoretically it'd turn into:

Other Editor A
Other Editor B
Me
Fiona
Greg

My supervisor messaged me to ask me if there would be any problems with this arrangement. I could immediately see what Greg was trying to do, but I didn't say anything to my supervisor. Instead, I told her that Fiona had also expressed that she would prefer to stay home for now, so maybe she could just switch spots with Greg?

And oh darn, now Fiona and Greg are in different groups again.

So I've mentioned previously in this thread that I have a new hot female subordinate, who I will call "Fiona", and a hot male subordinate who I'll call "Greg", who has been showing interest in her. This is despite her having a boyfriend already.

Well, today Taiwan announced that it's partially lifting the lockdown, so our company decided that half of us will be going back to working in the office, while the other half would continue working from home. So my supervisor divided the five editors in my team into two groups:

Me
Greg
Other Editor A
Fiona
Other Editor B

Now, seeing as I don't mind heading into the office, I offered to switch spots with Fiona or Other Editor B if there was anything preventing them going in. Other Editor B immediately messaged me and asked to switch with me, because he had a family issue that meant it'd be much more convenient for him to stay home for now. Fiona messaged me about five minutes later, also asking to switch with me, but I told her that unfortunately Other Editor B had gotten there first. So now the arrangement looks like:

Greg
Other Editor A
Other Editor B
Me
Fiona

But then Greg messaged our supervisor directly, asking her if he can switch to the group working in the office too. The editors would still be divided into groups of 3 and 2, so there shouldn't be a problem, right? So theoretically it'd turn into:

Other Editor A
Other Editor B
Me
Fiona
Greg

My supervisor messaged me to ask me if there would be any problems with this arrangement. I could immediately see what Greg was trying to do, but I didn't say anything to my supervisor. Instead, I told her that Fiona had also expressed that she would prefer to stay home for now, so maybe she could just switch spots with Greg?

You played that like a golden fiddle, Georgia boy.

Me
Greg
Other Editor A
Fiona
Other Editor B

Greg
Other Editor A
Other Editor B
Me
Fiona

Other Editor A
Other Editor B
Me
Fiona
Greg

I like you.

Dave

Staff member
In or around 1995 a friend of mine and I at work thought it would be fun to start a fantasy football league. We'd heard of the things before but they were a relatively new thing that they only did in ultra-sports places like Vegas. We were on the cutting edge. First order of business was to choose a Commish.

For those who don't know, the Commissioner is the guy who sets the rules, tallies the stats (at the time), and adjudicates conflicts or rules violations. Basically a GM for sports nerds. Also, he has to collect and pay out money, so he has to be trustworthy. We decided that I'd be that guy. For better or for worst. Well, it worked out okay since here we are ~25 years later and going strong. But I'm just not feeling it any more.

We started as a 10 team league, ballooned up to 24 teams for at least 10 years, then shrunk down to a 20 team league in the last few years. We've seen a core of players that keep shit moving and a rotating door or 3 or 4 spots that constantly get recycled. We've seen people rage quit by dumping their entire roster (which I had to fix), we've seen accusations of cheating (which is weird because I've only ever won the league once and that was the first damned year!), we've seen the league name change for a guy who was dying of a heart condition, only to have him recover and still be around today.

Through it all I've put up with whining, complaining, the ups, the downs, the banal. An NFL strike, a Covid season in utter turmoil thanks to cancelled or rescheduled games. I've gone from "Hey, nicely done, unknown QB Tom Brady" to "Fuck that smug cheating fucker". But I sent out an email today that it's time.

I no longer have the drive to be the Commish. I used to do game predictions, post-game analysis, positional analysis, draft analysis, etc. I would spend a few hours every week doing these write-ups. The last few years? Nothing. So I don't feel I am putting out a good product any more.

It's going to be weird not having this league. I've been a member of it longer than I've been a member here. Imagine that! When we started I would get the Tuesday morning Omaha World Herald newspaper and tally all stats and scores, then send actual photocopies to all the members. The Tuesday morning edition was the official stat line for the league. Then fantasy got big and people started putting out software packages that did all that for me. GODSEND!

I'm rambling, I know. But I'll miss it and not miss it simultaneously. I'll miss doing the league but at the same time I won't miss the headaches and bullshit that comes with it.

Probably would have won it this year, too.

Brofist because I went through the same thing a few years back. Had a long running league, I handled the commish duties, only won the league once (most years mainly played spoiler role), but just grew away from it. People got more intense and I was just… not there anymore. It started as a fun thing and just ended when I was tired of doing it and NOBODY else was willing to step up to do the now fairly simple job of being the Commish.

Me
Greg
Other Editor A
Fiona
Other Editor B

Greg
Other Editor A
Other Editor B
Me
Fiona

Other Editor A
Other Editor B
Me
Fiona
Greg

Regardless of Greg's true intentions, you DID honor everyone's requests. Too bad he played the wrong card.

I’m putting this in random instead of funny because i realize I might be the only one who finds this funny. I actually laughed at a world where ruckus was a weather term.

Meteorologist: …and we have a small ruckus moving from the southwest up into the middle of the country, where we’ll be in a full fracas warning until midnight.”
D8C462CB-1EDD-490F-A0D5-7AA940A9CD2F.jpeg

Maybe it's the name of a sports team in Georgia, since that would put it between Hurricanes and Lightning.
...that's a very, very frightening thought.

--Patrick

So, I was looking at sound bars. And all of the blogs I found were filled with pompous and condescending asses who all proclaimed any sound bar under a couple grand was basically worthless.

Then I found an article that put things into a different perspective: Flat screen TV's have no space to project sound forward. That's all screen space. So they project sound at the wall behind the tv, away from you. Any audio that projects audio toward you, including cheap ass computer speakers, would be an improvement. So I got a cheap $60 sound bar that arrived today. And yup, it's a big improvement.

Maybe it's not as awesome sounding as a $2000 sound bar. But the sound is tons better than it was. I don't have to keep turning the audio up for soft talking and then down for explosions or music.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
So, I was looking at sound bars. And all of the blogs I found were filled with pompous and condescending asses who all proclaimed any sound bar under a couple grand was basically worthless.

Then I found an article that put things into a different perspective: Flat screen TV's have no space to project sound forward. That's all screen space. So they project sound at the wall behind the tv, away from you. Any audio that projects audio toward you, including cheap ass computer speakers, would be an improvement. So I got a cheap $60 sound bar that arrived today. And yup, it's a big improvement.

Maybe it's not as awesome sounding as a $2000 sound bar. But the sound tons better than it was. I don't have to keep turning the audio up for soft talking and then down for explosions or music.
I have my TV hooked up to the stereo mini-system that I've had since high school. Huge improvement over the built-in speakers, though probably not as much as a soundbar that can do the center channel dialog thing. (I miss having 5.1 speakers on my computer, that center channel makes a big difference in dialog clarity for me.)

Not my pic but it looks like this:
Aiwa mini system 1990s sm.jpg

Love that 90s style.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have my TV hooked up to the stereo mini-system that I've had since high school. Huge improvement over the built-in speakers, though probably not as much as a soundbar that can do the center channel dialog thing. (I miss having 5.1 speakers on my computer, that center channel makes a big difference in dialog clarity for me.)

Not my pic but it looks like this:
View attachment 38300

Love that 90s style.
I too use a stereo I have had since high school on my TV.

PXL_20210710_005922262.jpg

I know it's a little hard to see there, but that's a Kenwood XD-500.

1625879242402.png

I have one that I used since I taught high school.

I saw on the news the other day that a couple had a 50 year old toaster. Then I thought FUCK! mine's 35! I need to call CBS now!