I was just honored at my work for having been here 10 years.

I have just passed my 11th year and was honored last year for 10 as well.

They still pronounced my name wrong.
"Today we are honoring Bave... sorry Dave... for ten years of service."

looking at AirPods online. I’m trying to behave.
I got a set of the Pros. Forget about sound quality, convenience, whatever, I don't care about any of that. I got 'em for the noise canceling because it makes my commute sooo much less annoying, even when I don't have anything playing. I treat them like they’re sunglasses for my ears.

--Patrick

Last edited:
TIL that one of the Youtubers I like (Marc Rebillet) who does Funk Music,

was the smart ass kid that traded his no. 1 spot at an Apple store for 800€ dollars to a woman who wanted to buy all the Iphones to resell em at ebay,
just for her to find out that is was 1 per customer.

Marc is the shit, i found him after hearing
"girls club" aka "LET ME IN IM TRYING TO FUCK!"

Last edited:
RANDOM FACT-order Boba-Tea around noon if your ordering it from a good place, those tapioca balls take like TWO hours to make , as proven to me today. Thankfully the customer was okay with just normal ass pudding so ya BOY only waited the normal 20 minutes instead.

For some reason, today I thought of a pretty important period in my family's history, and felt the urge to share the story.

First, some background. Taiwan has a national receipt lottery system. You see, in the 1950s, in order to prevent shops making sales under the table and thus avoiding paying sales taxes, the government instituted a national receipt system. Every official receipt would have a number printed on it, and every two months there would be a lottery, and if you had a receipt that matched the lottery numbers you'd win a cash prize. This meant every receipt was essentially a lottery ticket. The idea was that this would encourage shoppers to ask for a receipt when they make a purchase, thus ensuring there'd be a record of every sale, and thereby protecting tax revenue. The top prize isn't exactly a huge, you-can-retire-now amount of money, but it's still a pretty significant chunk of cash.

Now, my grandfather on my dad's side has pretty much always been a "pillar of the community" type of figure in our town. He served a term as the mayor of the town, and even after his term ended, he was seen as a key figure who was well-respected in the community. My grandparents had five children: three daughters, and then two sons, including my dad. At the time this story takes place, my eldest aunts were on the verge of finishing school, which meant they were now eyeing up marriage prospects. And they had no shortage of suitors, because of my grandfather's position in the community, and because my aunts were apparently quite pretty.

My grandmother had a younger brother, who at the time had some entrepreneurial ambitions. Thus, he applied for a loan from the bank. He had no collateral, so he had to nominate a guarantor who would cover the loan in the event he couldn't pay it back. He nominated his older sister, ie my grandmother. The bank approved the loan, partly because my grandmother was married to my grandfather. However, my grandma's younger brother's business failed, which meant he couldn't pay back the loan, which meant my grandmother had to.

Oh, I should mention here that my grandma didn't tell my grandpa that she was serving as the guarantor for this huge loan.

When my grandfather found out, he was understandably shocked and upset. He would've been within his rights to cut my grandmother and her brother loose, and to let them deal with the debt themselves. But he didn't. He stepped up and said to the bank, "My wife's debt is mine as well, so don't worry, you'll get the money."

The problem was, however, my family wasn't rich. The only way my grandfather could've paid back the loan would be to sell our house. So, he started making arrangements to sell our ancestral home. My father, aunts, and uncle would have to be pulled out of school to start working early, in order to support the family. My aunts' marriage prospects dried up overnight. And I'm not exaggerating here, my eldest aunt actually had a boyfriend who literally dumped her over this scandal. All in all, it was a pretty bleak time.

And then, pretty much on the eve of the sale of the house, one of my aunts found that one of her receipts, from some inconsequential purchase, had the winning numbers for the top prize of the national receipt lottery. Like I said, it wasn't a huge amount of money, but it was enough to stave off the bank and take the pressure off. The house could be kept. My aunts and uncle and father would not have to withdraw from school, and could complete their educations. This meant that they could find prosperous white collar jobs after graduation, rather than working as laborers or seamstresses. Our family is where we are now because of that one tiny receipt. Hell, without that receipt, my dad would probably never have met and married my mom, and I wouldn't be here to tell this story to you.

Many of my family members are rather religious, they're devout Buddhists. They believe that the universe demands balance between good and bad karma. Thus, when my dad told me this story, he concluded it by saying, "Our family received help in our most desperate hour. Now that we've made it through, it's our turn to help others." Since I was a kid, my dad's always told me to help people, no matter in what way, and no matter how small. It doesn't have to be financial (though my parents do donate to a variety of charitable organizations), even giving directions to lost tourists or answering questions online can be a form of helping people. The point is, we made it through our lowest point because the universe helped us, so we pay it forward.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I remembered this story today. Maybe it's because the winning numbers for this month are going to be announced soon.

Beef ragout
Cheese souffle
Pie and pudding "en flambe"
Is there something going around I don't know about? My son was just asking me about these exact lyrics. (He was to know what "cheese creme brulee" was, so misheard lyric). And I know he doesn't surf Halforum. Yet.

Sometimes it pays to be a Karen.
We're trying to get our wedding invites out - because of Corona all times are off a bit so it's kind of short notice - we need to get an estimate of the amount of people coming to the venue by the 8th of July.
The printer tells me they can't print them before next Wednesday. Nope, nothing to be done, sorry, can't rush it. That's the first, meaning even if we mail them out the next day our guests'll ahve less than 5 days to RSVP.
My fiancée calls, and suddenly they'll be ready tomorrow afternoon. :confused:

Amazon wins! I had to return something I ordered in May that never arrived and they refunded my gift card. So now I need to bring a new Snuffles into our home, right?

I ordered a pound of mac and cheese powder on May 2. They did the thing where they said it was shipped and on it's way, and for the first time ever in my experience, Amazon just lost it. I thought I cancelled it, and I ordered another one. Apparently not, because this morning I received another pound of mac and cheese powder, which is good because the first one was running low.

Why do I need it? Cheesy popcorn. My kids make a ton of popcorn, and mac & cheese powder on properly pan-cooked popcorn is the best.

Oh, if anyone wants to know: it's Big Daddy Mac powder.

Packages getting lost is happening a lot more recently. It's happened twice to me and once to my wife. All three times were USPS losses, so I am feeling that maybe the postal service is strugglind to keep up with demand and it not being so much an Amazon specific problem.

I lost one recently, too. Pretty much the first time ever. And it was the same as you, Tin. Int'l shipping handed off to USPS, then USPS handed off to Pitney Bowes, and then it just vanished.

--Patrick

Never in my life have I been able to get my husband out of bed early on a weekend unless there's somewhere we desperately need to be.

This morning the cat meowed for attention at 7:45 and my husband shot out of bed to play with him, instead of waiting to see if my daughter would get up and do it.