Also my husband's SSD died yesterday and he can't get a new one until Wednesday, if that makes you feel better.

Start a new Skyrim playthrough. After four straight days of playing you should be at... let's see... Bleak Falls Barrow or so.

I love it when clients make amusing typos in the texts they ask us to translate. Right now I'm looking at a corporate social responsibility report that says the client is participating in (rather than fighting) money laundering.

Dave

Staff member
This is what it's like to have to go into the office during a global pandemic. Social distancing is not an issue.
2020-06-15 06.35.11.jpg

Here's some random shit, my great great great great great grandfather was a hero of the revolutionary war.

On our side. An immense traitor to you fellas south of the border. Here's something from his blurb in history that made me laugh.

"Daniel Cole has also been a spy and bearer of despatches this year. His documents are borne in a thin steel or lead box, which is cleverly secreted between the soles of his boot. Before resorting to this method, he had upon one occasion been caught and sentenced to be hanged immediately. The rope was around his neck and the end thrown over the limb of a tree, when he suddenly gave a tremendous spring from his captor's grasp, and he ran, with the rope still round him, more speedily than they, and was able to escape, while shot after shot was leveled after his flying figure. As he later recounted to his fellow scouts, "God Almighty would not let the balls hit me."
That's a great story. :)

Best family story I have is of "Stick Leg" Jaime. He lived back in the 1800's and had apparently lost a leg at some point and had a peg leg, hence the name. Well ol' Stick Leg Jaime turned out to be fond of the drink. Being that my family is primarily Scotch-Irish, this is no real surprise. The surprise is the extent to which Jaime drank. He would regularly be found face down in the gutter and finally, the community had enough of it. They hauled him in and he got Excommunicated from the PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. I didn't know that was even possible until I heard this story. I went to the Presbyterian Church Historical Center website to see what qualifies and it says: "This censure is to be inflicted only on account of gross crime or heresy, when the offender shows himself incorrigible and contumacious." (emphasis mine). He was such a bad drunk that they considered it a "gross crime or heresy." The kicker to this story is the person who turned him in to be excommunicated was his own son.

I am completely unable to verify this story, but this is essentially how it was told to me.

Dad, your drinking is out of control. YOU'RE NO LONGER WELCOME IN THE HOUSE OF GOD!!

The pub?

No, the church.

Oh, ok. Well, see you in the streets son.

My internet is out.
It’s not just you. ATT, VZW, and T-Mobile are all shitting the bed today. Couldn’t even play Steam because it was experiencing 40% packet loss and 300ms ping times while YouTube videos would play just fine, which is just all kinds of upside-down.

—Patrick

TIL that one of the Youtubers I like (Marc Rebillet) who does Funk Music,

was the smart ass kid that traded his no. 1 spot at an Apple store for 800€ dollars to a woman who wanted to buy all the Iphones to resell em at ebay,
just for her to find out that is was 1 per customer.

What is a food truck? Is it the truck that gos from job site to job site and sells premade food, or is it a mobile kitchen that goes to a location and cooks food as ordered?

What is a food truck? Is it the truck that gos from job site to job site and sells premade food, or is it a mobile kitchen that goes to a location and cooks food as ordered?
All of the food trucks around here are mobile kitchens.

When I worked in DC, there was a website I'd go to that would let you know which food trucks would be on which streets at lunchtime. It was kind of nice to have different options every day without having to go too far from the building.

When I was still running a convenience gas station, we had a time when food trucks would come in every morning.
I had a standing order with one of 'em for a scrambled egg sandwich. It was almost always the highlight of my day.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
CenturyLink is here a day early. Something is wrong with the lines outside. I might have internet soon! (If the kid can find the buried lines or figure out what’s up today. Doubt.)

Edit: Don't know why I doubted. I'M BACK, BABY!

Last edited:
Judging by all the food truck festivals they have around here, both. You just need food and a truck.

When I was still running a convenience gas station, we had a time when food trucks would come in every morning.
I had a standing order with one of 'em for a scrambled egg sandwich. It was almost always the highlight of my day.

--Patrick
See I knew someone else here has experienced these moving oases of ... food.

I just got a resume for someone applying to join my department. He's currently a professor at a prestigious university. He's previously served as the general manager of a moderately large company, worked a consultant to a couple of other moderately large companies, and had his own startup when he was younger.

This guy is suspiciously overqualified to be applying for a translation editor position.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just got a resume for someone applying to join my department. He's currently a professor at a prestigious university. He's previously served as the general manager of a moderately large company, worked a consultant to a couple of other moderately large companies, and had his own startup when he was younger.

This guy is suspiciously overqualified to be applying for a translation editor position.
Maybe he's like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty.