The New Picture Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In related news: Dave is unsure whether or not his thing is vague.

Dave's wife, on the other hand, has no such doubts...

Cajungal

Staff member
Has someone else said that before? It sounds familiar. Maybe I was just thinking it.

Also, I found my Mardi Gras ball gown! Stand by for pic...

Cajungal

Staff member
:confused: I didn't even know I was baiting someone to start going on meme tangents. Turns out the picture's awful anyway.

Guys, I'm sorry if I'm annoying you all, but I've been on a bit of a Haiti kick for the last few weeks, and now with this news about the earthquake ... I've been getting nostalgic and everything else. I'm also about to post in the rant thread, I think.

Here are some pictures of Haiti, when we were down there. I just need to share them with someone now, and I don't have any friends around I can harass. Hope you don't mind, Halforums.

My mother and I in Petit Goave

Some Haitians coming in from fishing near the house we were staying.

School kids during recess. It was like herding cats trying to get them to sit together for a picture.

A market in nearby Vialet. If only you could photograph smells ...

An unimpressed donkey near the market.

The church we were repairing and painting. Up on the top you can see how it was. In this picture the beige sides had been painted, I believe.

The school ground, only a little right of the church. On the ground floor were the classrooms. Upstairs was the quarters, where the minister/school administrator and his family lived.

Another picture from the roof. The area with the hanging sheets was the open air kitchen.

From the roof again. To the left is the church. To the right is the school. The gray shack looking thing was a classroom which had been added a few months before I arrived to deal with higher enrollment. In between the two buildings, in the corner of the complex, was a little yard with a mango tree. On this particular day, they had dragged the pews from the church out to serve as a makeshift waiting room. The doctor was in town (came by once every two weeks) so all those people were looking for medical attention.

A result of the Salvation Army's micro loan program. This lady was given a small loan of about $100 USD to either create or expand a business (I can't remember which in her case).

The kids at flag raising in the morning. The older kids were in blue, the younger children in yellow.

Some of the team at the Salvation Army bakery, where they employ locals and provide food. The 20 people in our party that day got a small dinner-roll sized piece of bread as a snack for less than $1 USD total.

Myself with some of the school children. My mother wanted a picture of me with the kids.

Myself being a rock star. I had learned enough Haitian Creole to be able to communicate simple ideas, make fun of myself, and be absolutely hillarious to the local girls.

Did I say 'rock star'? I meant 'total dweeb.'

A photo of a dilapidated wharf in Petit Goave. I thought it was a pretty good photo, considering it was taken on a disposable camera completely by accident.

I wish I had gotten a picture of the goat bank. In an orphanage we visited, they had a small farming space to raise animals. There were chickens, a few pigs, and an assload of goats. The young boys would take care of the animals so they had something to do, would learn responsibility and all that, and also the practical skills involved in farming. It also provided the orphanage with the occasional meal, and furnished the goat bank.

The goat bank thing is brilliant and simple: if you are a poor family, the Salvation Army will give you a goat. You take care of that goat (feed it grass, make sure it doesn't wander off) until it's of age to reproduce. Once it reproduces, you owe the Salvation Army one of the baby goats, but then the original goat is yours to keep. You can breed it further, keep it around for the milk, or slaughter it the next day. But the Salvation Army suffers no net loss, and poor family is up one goat.

Is it the bakery photo? Some of our team members had a hard time dealing with being a fat person in Haiti. Down there "Fat" is a descriptor with no inherent insult attached to it. When trying to pick someone out of a crowd "the fat girl" is as valid as "the tall man."

Explain that though we might, certain Canadians could not stop taking offense every time it was said.

Yes, it was that one.

I mean no offense by it, but every time I see a photo or video of .. well-nourished people.. walking around an area stricken with famine, disease, and poverty.. living it so long they think it is normal.. I view it almost as a walking insult. I realize that is of course in no way the intent.. and I even know they don't even see it that way.. but it makes you think... it makes it so crystal clear how unfair the world is.. how unfair our food and materials are divided... salvation army may try to do good, and good they do.. but it is what we call "mopping with the water faucet still running".. almost pointless...
Absolutely. I think the one who took it the hardest was actually my own mother. She's a nurse here in Canada, so she was very interested in the medical side of things. When we went to a hospital she asked about what medical problems they see a lot of, and the leading cause of infant deaths was malnutrition. In an almost delirious state, she took me aside and confessed that she had only seen three infants die of malnutrition in all of her 25+ years as a nurse. She was shocked and disturbed by the equipment she saw being used. When she came home she sank into a terrible depression and actually attempted suicide not two weeks after being back home.

But it's so funny, because you're right about the other thing too: none of the Haitian people displayed any resentment, or thought it was strange at all. The people who are most conscious about that sort of thing are us who go down into the slums. It becomes a transforming experience for the Canadians, so much so that I've been pushing for a larger mission team when they go in the spring of this year. Some have argued that we should send less people and more money. Or, if we can get away with it, no people and all money. This is a noble spirit behind such an idea, but I don't think it's the right way to go. Yes, the Haitians could use more resources, but they want to meet us as well (this is actually the subject of a short story that I've been working on). They were proud to show us their homes, and excited to tell us about their lives. They were just as enamored when we talked about friends and family back home. And on top of that, I feel like we need to meet them MORE than they need our help.

I sincerely believe that bringing more westerners down to meet them is the only way we'll ever manage to turn the faucet off, to hijack your metaphor :p A commercial on TV about malnutritioned children in a third world country just doesn't have the impact of actually playing football with those kids. (And I mean that semi-literally :p)

Sorry if I'm getting up on a soapbox here. Like I said, I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and I've got a meeting coming up on Thursday in which I expect I'm going to have to argue some of this stuff. Now, with all this earthquake stuff on my mind as well ... I'm getting very deep in Haiti-mania.

J

jaythen

Your partner's cute. How's divorced life treating you?
Eh, divorced life is ok by it self. Still have a long ways to go to get back on track on where I want to be. Still single and it has been almost 2 years since I was divorced.
However, as much as it was painful to get divorced, it has allowed me to open up and do new things and be bolder. I was a reserved and quiet type of person. Now, I am doing more things and getting out try do stuff outside my comfort zone. I have made new friends and found new things in life that I never thought I would enjoy or ever do. Would not say that divorce gave me a second chance or new lease on life, but it was a good kick in the pants to wake me up from the dull loop I placed myself in and how I was treating my life.

How is life treating you fade?

For some reason, a friend of mine thought I'd be a good model for a photo shoot. We did it today and, while I'm still waiting to see most of the pictures, he already sent me two that I absolutely love.

I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.