The Lego appreciation thread

In the store letting my son browse for a birthday list when I discovered that they finally have an official Green Lantern set. Of course, I can't think of a reason why I would need to buy myself a Lego Green Lantern set.

Please help me think of a reason why I need to buy myself a Lego Green Lantern set.

In the store letting my son browse for a birthday list when I discovered that they finally have an official Green Lantern set. Of course, I can't think of a reason why I would need to buy myself a Lego Green Lantern set.

Please help me think of a reason why I need to buy myself a Lego Green Lantern set.
EDIT: ...Goddamn phone.

Anyway, it's a Green Lantern set! How often do you see those? Get it!

I notice they justify having sets featuring these super heroes by putting freaking Batman in all of them.

I never thought I'd be sick of Batman, but here we are.

Because you never know when Lego Parallax will attack.

Also, Lego unveiled the Big Bang Theory set today:

(via Lego Ideas, GeekDad, Brickset)

It will be available August 1st and has a MSRP of $59.99 US / EUR 59,99.

I notice they justify having sets featuring these super heroes by putting freaking Batman in all of them.

I never thought I'd be sick of Batman, but here we are.
That may be because of the games. The first one was really about Batman, but the next two were about the DC universe, but they still branded them "Batman".

That may be because of the games. The first one was really about Batman, but the next two were about the DC universe, but they still branded them "Batman".
That's the only reason we have the GL set for sure - I'm playing through Lego Batman 3 now, and it's a lot of lantern stuff (which is awesome until I have to let my son be GL - little punk pulling the "but I'm eight and it's my game" card every time). But yeah, when I get it, he can have the space Batman.

Oi. Everytime I see this thread I'm tempted to drop a grand on all the bits and pieces I'd need to make D&D dungeon tiles.

It looks like Ecto-1 sold well enough for TLG to release a follow up set: The Ghostbusters Firehouse. It's huge!

Get ready to bust some ghosts at the Firehouse Headquarters!

Recreate iconic Ghostbusters™ scenes with the 2-story Firehouse Headquarters, featuring laboratory, living quarters, containment unit and much more. Capture the ghosts with the proton packs and restore order, or solve other supernatural cases! Includes 9 minifigures: Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Janine Melnitz, Dana Barrett, Louis Tully, Library Ghost and Zombie Driver.
  • Includes 9 minifigures: Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Janine Melnitz, Dana Barrett, Louis Tully, Zombie Driver and Library Ghost.
  • Also comes with Slimer, Pink Ghost and Blue Ghost.
  • Slide the Ghostbusters™ heroes down the fire pole into action.
  • Chase the ghosts and secure them in the containment unit.
  • Turn the librarian old lady into a scary ghost with the double-sided face and extra wig!
  • Run tests on Louis in the lab to see if he’s possessed!
  • Suspend ghosts around the building’s exterior with attachable transparent arms.
  • Dodge the slime oozing up through cracks in the pavement.
  • Accessory elements include an alarm bell, fire extinguisher, computer, phone, toolbox, tools, jars of slimes, magnifying glass, camera, camera rolls, arcade game, toaster with slime, fridge with frozen pizza, milk and cheese, and much more!
  • Features opening walls for easy play access.
  • Features over 4,600 pieces.
  • Ghostbusters™ minifigures comewith decorated arms.
  • Measures over 14” (36cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 14” (38cm) deep.
  • With walls opened out, measures over 14” (36cm) high, 18” (46 cm) wide and 14” (38cm) deep.
  • Firehouse Headquarters doors can open to fit the 21108 LEGO® Ideas Ghostbusters Ecto-1 inside!
(via Lego Shop at Home)

It looks like Ecto-1 sold well enough for TLG to release a follow up set: The Ghostbusters Firehouse. It's huge!

Get ready to bust some ghosts at the Firehouse Headquarters!

Recreate iconic Ghostbusters™ scenes with the 2-story Firehouse Headquarters, featuring laboratory, living quarters, containment unit and much more. Capture the ghosts with the proton packs and restore order, or solve other supernatural cases! Includes 9 minifigures: Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Janine Melnitz, Dana Barrett, Louis Tully, Library Ghost and Zombie Driver.
  • Includes 9 minifigures: Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Janine Melnitz, Dana Barrett, Louis Tully, Zombie Driver and Library Ghost.
  • Also comes with Slimer, Pink Ghost and Blue Ghost.
  • Slide the Ghostbusters™ heroes down the fire pole into action.
  • Chase the ghosts and secure them in the containment unit.
  • Turn the librarian old lady into a scary ghost with the double-sided face and extra wig!
  • Run tests on Louis in the lab to see if he’s possessed!
  • Suspend ghosts around the building’s exterior with attachable transparent arms.
  • Dodge the slime oozing up through cracks in the pavement.
  • Accessory elements include an alarm bell, fire extinguisher, computer, phone, toolbox, tools, jars of slimes, magnifying glass, camera, camera rolls, arcade game, toaster with slime, fridge with frozen pizza, milk and cheese, and much more!
  • Features opening walls for easy play access.
  • Features over 4,600 pieces.
  • Ghostbusters™ minifigures comewith decorated arms.
  • Measures over 14” (36cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 14” (38cm) deep.
  • With walls opened out, measures over 14” (36cm) high, 18” (46 cm) wide and 14” (38cm) deep.
  • Firehouse Headquarters doors can open to fit the 21108 LEGO® Ideas Ghostbusters Ecto-1 inside!
(via Lego Shop at Home)
It also has something to do with the fact that Ghostbusters is one of the worlds in Lego Dimensions.

Which, BTW is fun as hell, but hard on the pocketbook.

Having poured shameful resources into Disney Infinity, I'm so not into buying any more of these 'collect a figure to play' games. So I'm ignoring the Slimer, ignoring Chell, ignoring the Mystery Machine...

...dat Tardis though.
Well, this is one of the nice things about Lego Dimensions that they just instituted. If a character is out already that you need to solve a puzzle, you can hire that character for 30 seconds using studs in the game, so once everything's all released, you'll be able to unlock every thing in the game without buying anything but the base game.

A spectacular AFOL built project -- a Lego 360° Milling Machine

Other cool projects from the same creator:
Robot Pin Animator

RCX controlled Spirit Rover