The Lego appreciation thread

From Brickworld 2013 in Chicago, the winner of the Collaborative Display award:

I'm guessing, by the pretty generic looking castle in the background, that it's open to all ages. I think those 10 year-olds may be a little outmatched...

My son is in his school's robotics club. They are using the Mindstorms LEGO sets for all of the building and experiements. I am impressed and incredibly jealous. I'll see if I can get some pictures of their creations.

FBTB now has the official images for the Simpsons set. It has almost 2600 pieces, and will be $199 in the US. (CA $229.99 – DE 199.99€ – UK £179.99 – DK 1,699.00 DKK)

Well I was going to get some pictures of what the robotics club has been doing. What I didn't realize is that the session ended when the kids went on Christmas break. I thought it was for the full school year. My son isn't signed up for this session. He has swim lessons on the same day. :(

News from the NY Toy Fair:

What do you park next to your Lego DeLorean?

It's the next Lego set from Lego Cuusoo. It will cost $50 ($60 Canadian) and be available in June of this year.
(via The Lego Cuusoo Official Blog)

A really big set based on the Lego Movie:

The Metal Beard's Sea Cow has 2741 pieces and will sell for US $249.99, CA $299.99, DE 249.99€, UK £169.99, DK 2,199.00 DKK. It is already showing up at retail. (via Brickset)

Finally, we have our first look at one of the Guardians of the Galaxy sets:

Last edited:
News from the NY Toy Fair:

What do you park next to your Lego DeLorean?

It's the next Lego set from Lego Cuusoo. It will cost $50 ($60 Canadian) and be available in June of this year.
(via The Lego Cuusoo Official Blog)

A really big set based on the Lego Movie:

The Metal Beard's Sea Cow has 2741 pieces and will sell for US $249.99, CA $299.99, DE 249.99€, UK £169.99, DK 2,199.00 DKK. It is already showing up at retail. (via Brickset)

Finally, we have our first look at one of the Guardians of the Galaxy sets:

Wait, is Ronan the Accuser in GoTG???

This is the machine the kids in robotics club made. They are part of the JFLL (Jr. First LEGO League which is for 6- 10 year olds), but did not compete since it was the club's first year. Today was the open house. This particular robot is able to be programmed to move things, like the brick towers in one of the pics, and carry objects. The kids even attempted to do some of the FLL challenges which are designed for kids 10 & up. They use the MindStorms kits to build their robots.
IMG_0195.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg
IMG_0198.jpg

A group of kids at the co-ed Catholic school down the street from us won a national contest for something very similar. (I'm not sure if it's JFLL. I'd have to find the article again.) The thing I thought was coolest about it? The team was all girls. :)