THE HOBBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno man. I really like the movie's portrayal of Galadriel. Very otherworldly. I saw the movie again this morning (for free, theatre was rented out by a friend's company) and I was waiting for that part to happen again.

I had to stifle my laughing every time they did that shot where she'd turn around and her dress would wrap around her. I kept thinking, "How is she not tripping up from that!?"

During my second viewing I used the storm giant scene as my bathroom break. Wasn't bothered by the Rivendale scene.

That reminds me. It's been a LONG time since I've read the book. Was the storm giants thing part of it? I feel like I would've remembered giant mountains throwing boulders at each other.

That reminds me. It's been a LONG time since I've read the book. Was the storm giants thing part of it? I feel like I would've remembered giant mountains throwing boulders at each other.
I felt the same way, but my best friend is reading the Hobbit again and just passed that part of the book. Yup, it's there in the book.[DOUBLEPOST=1357435784][/DOUBLEPOST]Jesus, nick, that was fast.

I felt the same way, but my best friend is reading the Hobbit again and just passed that part of the book. Yup, it's there in the book.[DOUBLEPOST=1357435784][/DOUBLEPOST]Jesus, nick, that was fast.
As I remember it, they were never in any real danger though in the book. They just heard what they thought was thunder turn out to be giants playing.

They just spiced up the scene in the movie.

I'm pretty sure they ducked into the cave to avoid the storm.

These are old memories though. I could be wrong.

The storm giants weren't in the book. There was a storm. Fili and Kili found the cave and they all went inside to get out of the rain for the night.

So, I assume the next movie will all be Beorn, The Spiders of Mirkwood, then the Wood Elves with the entirety of the last movie dealing with Smaug.

When he [Bilbo]peeped out in the lightning-flashes, he saw that across the valley the stone-giants were out and were hurling rocks at one another for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang.
[And a few lines later:]
They could hear the giants guffawing and shouting all over the mountainsides.

But yeah, whole mountains beating the shit out of each other is much cooler, thanks Mr. Jackson... :facepalm:

I thought that whole "Mountains beating the shit out of each other" was dumb, and went on way too long. Pretty unnecessary too.

I thought that whole "Mountains beating the shit out of each other" was dumb, and went on way too long. Pretty unnecessary too.
What? Leaving apart the sheer AWESOMENESS of the scene (too long? sheesh), how can you say it was "unnecessary" when the mess created by the Giants was what forced Bilbo and Co. to seek shelter in the cave that was the entrance to the goblins' lair? Both in the movie AND THE BOOK. Without those giants, they would have just continued on trekking across the mountain like they planned.

figmentPez

Staff member
I had to stifle my laughing every time they did that shot where she'd turn around and her dress would wrap around her. I kept thinking, "How is she not tripping up from that!?"
Elven grace. If Legolas can walk so softly that he doesn't sink into freshly fallen snow, then I think she can manage a long train on her gown.

What? Leaving apart the sheer AWESOMENESS of the scene (too long? sheesh), how can you say it was "unnecessary" when the mess created by the Giants was what forced Bilbo and Co. to seek shelter in the cave that was the entrance to the goblins' lair? Both in the movie AND THE BOOK. Without those giants, they would have just continued on trekking across the mountain like they planned.
The giants were rolling and throwing stones and nearly hitting them in the book, NOT forming into giants under their feet and beating on each other so that Bilbo could fall and cause Thorin to bitch about Bilbo some more.

I actually enjoyed how Jackson got around the multiple names of the Blue Wizards by just having Gandalf forget the names. The whole theater chuckled a bit on that line.
[...]
Jackson likely decided to have Gandalf forget their names in the movie instead of getting torn apart by Tolkienites for picking the "wrong names". That is all I am saying. He probably would have gotten away with using Alatar and Pollando.
From the IMDb*:
Asked how many wizards there are, Gandalf says there are five, naming himself, Saruman, and Radagast, then saying he can't remember the names of the other two. Their names, Alatar and Pallando, appear in the book Unfinished Tales, but the filmmakers don't have rights to use material from that book.
--Patrick
*...which is kind of like saying, "According to Wikipedia..." but whatever.

figmentPez

Staff member
If we keep this up people will start to talc. They'll say we have rocks for brains. Of quartz we could always just embrace our bad reputation, keep making geologic puns, and hope that time washes the slate clean.

Chalk this up to being too gneiss maybe, or maybe I've lost my marbles, but despite the schisty quality of some of these puns, I find most of them quite igneous.

Watching the Hobbit in the cinnabar made me feel like I was slated to shout "Oh Mica" every few scenes, but there were definitely a few scenes I'd be andesited about including.

(Thank you, Dwarf Fortress!)

Status
Not open for further replies.