THE HOBBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit, I told ya, I learned of them from the card game :p They didn't use those names anymore than they called Gandalf 'Olórin'.
The thing is, it is said Alatar and Pollando are their Valinor names, the ones they used before going to Middle-Earth, much like Gandalf was called Olórin. Morinehtar and Rómestámo were later brought up by Tolkien, but from what I know he never specified if they were to replace Alatar and Pollando as the Valinor names, or were instead their Middle-Earth names.

Jackson likely decided to have Gandalf forget their names in the movie instead of getting torn apart by Tolkienites for picking the "wrong names". That is all I am saying. He probably would have gotten away with using Alatar and Pollando.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Persuaded my folks to see the Hobbit - and went to see the 3D version with the higher frame rate with them. Dad proved to be as curmudgeonly as always, and complained both about the 3D glasses and the film, saying he just didn't like it. It took a little while for Mom to get used to the glasses, but after that she said she enjoyed the film. So... success on that front ;)

Me... well, like it's been said, the higher frame rate isn't too friendly on the CGI effects, and there were a moment or two when you knew you were looking at a set and not, say, a natural cliff face. Not gonna say I was sold on the concept, but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Still gonna go and see the film for the third time with friends ;)

I took my 60 year old dad to see it with the HFR yesterday. It didn't bug me as much this time so maybe it's growing on me. He wasn't too hot on some of the changes, such as having them in direct danger from the rock giants and Azog being alive but I think he liked the movie. He didn't care for the HFR though, said it looked like the whole movie was set on fast forward.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I took my 60 year old dad to see it with the HFR yesterday. It didn't bug me as much this time so maybe it's growing on me. He wasn't too hot on some of the changes, such as having them in direct danger from the rock giants and Azog being alive but I think he liked the movie. He didn't care for the HFR though, said it looked like the whole movie was set on fast forward.
To be honest, in the prologue at least it did feel like the film was on fast forward. I half expected Thorin and Balin start speaking in chipmunk voices ;)

Also... your dad is 60 and knows these things? Man... my folks are just a few years older than yours, and they don't know jack s*it about Tolkien... or fantasy, for that matter.

To be honest, in the prologue at least it did feel like the film was on fast forward. I half expected Thorin and Balin start speaking in chipmunk voices ;)

Also... your dad is 60 and knows these things? Man... my folks are just a few years older than yours, and they don't know jack s*it about Tolkien... or fantasy, for that matter.
The book is 75 years old.

My dad is the one who got me to read the Hobbit when I was 7 or 8. He's a pretty huge sci-fi/fantasy nerd.

Man, i got the extended LOTR and the Dark Knight trilogy on blu-Ray for Christmas! Cannot wait to dig into those.

I saw this movie.

I don't remember anyone else here picking this nit, maybe in one of the spoilers, but when they were like "oh these are moon runes and they were scribed 200 years ago and they only appear when the moonlight is in the exact same phase/position/et cetera AND THEY JUST HAPPEN TO MATCH UP ON THIS VERY NIGHT!".

I turned to my friend and said "oh, fuck you."

I saw this movie.

I don't remember anyone else here picking this nit, maybe in one of the spoilers, but when they were like "oh these are moon runes and they were scribed 200 years ago and they only appear when the moonlight is in the exact same phase/position/et cetera AND THEY JUST HAPPEN TO MATCH UP ON THIS VERY NIGHT!".

I turned to my friend and said "oh, fuck you."
Fate. Also as the book is the template for modern fantasy especially including role playing, that's Tolkein showing how GMs can get away with lazy storytelling.

Favorite RPg element in the movie was Peter Jackson filming the troll fight clearly taking into account their massive HP regen ability.

There's a lot of fate/destiny tied up in Tolkein's writings. The dwarves just happen to think it's time to take back the mountain, etc.

On the other hand the books quite clearly talk about how important the hobbits are in breaking fate "something happened the ring did not intend" which, ultimately, led to its destruction.

There are a lot of little things in the writing which, if timing wasn't precise over hundreds of years, the story would have broken.

So a message to take away might be that while we are engaged in fateful activities, we are given hope that some fates may be avoided.

And that's something worth tolkein about.

:awesome:

I think a lot of what people call fate is just Gandalf's meddling. He knew about the runes, which I'm guessing is why he pushed the dwarves to try to take back the mountain.

I think a lot of what people call fate is just Gandalf's meddling. He knew about the runes, which I'm guessing is why he pushed the dwarves to try to take back the mountain.
May also explain why he was pushing so hard for them to go to Rivendell. He would know they needed to reach the city by a certain night for the secret of the map to become visible.

Plus 75 years ago it wasn't that much of a cliché. That part was straight from the book. Straight from the illustrations Tolkien himself made, even. But remember Tolkien always had greater forces at work, it wasn't that it just HAPPENED to be that night. I consider your nit unpicked, Goosto!

(BTW, how DO you tag people?)

Plus 75 years ago it wasn't that much of a cliché. That part was straight from the book. Straight from the illustrations Tolkien himself made, even. But remember Tolkien always had greater forces at work, it wasn't that it just HAPPENED to be that night. I consider your nit unpicked, Goosto!

(BTW, how DO you tag people?)
Use the @ just before the name. Like Calleja

Another thing that I love in the Tolkein movies is that they always remind me of all the awesome shit about halflings and why they are far and away my favourite DnD race.

Wait, did everyone here also get the LOTR extended edition blu-rays for Xmas? I just got them from my parents.
Can't speak for others, but we watched the ones from the old fold-out book sets that were released 11 months after each movie hit theaters.

It is bizarre to me that there are teenagers on Tumblr who are unaware of the existence of the Lord of the Rings, but then I gotta remember that some of them were 4-year-olds when those movies were released. And then I feel old.

If you're a teenager IN THIS DAY AND AGE and have NO IDEA what LOTR is, truly, TRULY, you haven't been brought up right.

Can't speak for others, but we watched the ones from the old fold-out book sets that were released 11 months after each movie hit theaters.

It is bizarre to me that there are teenagers on Tumblr who are unaware of the existence of the Lord of the Rings, but then I gotta remember that some of them were 4-year-olds when those movies were released. And then I feel old.

You feel old?

Status
Not open for further replies.