THE HOBBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
The giants were rolling and throwing stones and nearly hitting them in the book, NOT forming into giants under their feet and beating on each other so that Bilbo could fall and cause Thorin to bitch about Bilbo some more.
Right. But in both mediums the giants were the reason they had to seek shelter. Not pointless.

See? This is why I hate puns. Why didn't I think of THAT one? I always see the best ones used and never get in a decent one :fu:.

"Pun" in spanish, at least mexican spanish, is a childish word for "fart". Obviously pronounced "poon".

Just thought I'd point that out cause it's hilarious.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
I couldn't properly enjoy the movie, half the time I was thinking "Wow! Tumblr must be flooded with Thilbo fanart anf fanfic"

Well I finally got a chance to see this and I really enjoyed it. I actually don't really have any complaints. I saw it in standard 24fps though so I wouldn't have to deal with any of the possible weirdness of the increased frame rate. It looked GREAT... absolutely great.

I love that Misty mountains dwarf song too... totally awesome.

I couldn't properly enjoy the movie, half the time I was thinking "Wow! Tumblr must be flooded with Thilbo fanart anf fanfic"
An aquaintance of mine is on the Fili fangirl trip and posted a lot of fanart done with Uncle Thorin playing with his little beardless baby nephews or just the 2 baby dwarves as babies/toddlers...

fade

Staff member
I just saw this, and I'm not reading 20 pages of posts.

IT
WAS
AWESOME.

Dear Mr. Jackson,
I've made no secret that I found the LotR movies mediocre. But you, sir, have redeemed yourself in my eyes. This movie was fun and beautiful. While I'm still not a huge fan of your gold color grading, everything else was an orgasm for the eyes. Every time I thought you would cut something from the book, you got it in there. "What happened to the pinecone bombs? Oh there they are, excellent." "What, Bilbo's not going to hurdle Gollum? Oh cool, there he goes!" Sure, some things were questionable (the aforementioned giants, Galadriel's telepathy), but overall nice. The only nit I'd pick would be the overabundance of pretty people. Hell, you made an orc pretty, and Galadriel was practically nude with the diaphanous dress.
Sincerely,
Fade

This is Fade we're talking about here. Finding something mediocre is the equivalent of everyone else's "loved it."

The LOTR movies can rub some people the wrong way--Peter Jackson has a habit these days of making things "EXTREEEME". See the King Kong remake which I loved, but it went way overboard with its adoration for some of the 1933 version's scenes; likewise LOTR did for the book.

That said, the same happened for The Hobbit, but the tone is different.

If a person doesn't like LOTR, it's not a big deal. What I can't stand are the shmucks who get pissed that it's not hours and hours of Frodo and Sam mucking through the swamp, or that Faramir isn't a saint, or that Tom "Time Waster" Bombadil wasn't in the movie.

I liked the movie, but it felt like there was so much filler in it, and I didn't get that impression from the LOTR films (until the end of RoTK, but it was the end so I forgave it).[DOUBLEPOST=1358744519][/DOUBLEPOST]
Once again, I apologize for not falling in line with the masses.
Dude, it's not that you don't like popular things, it's that you tend not to like things.

fade

Staff member
Dude, it's not that you don't like popular things, it's that you tend not to like things.
See, that's total crap. You guys have made some kind of game out of it, but for every dislike I post, I've probably posted about 50 things I liked. Okay, maybe "mediocre" was too strong, but "mediocre" doesn't mean "bad". It means "average". Nothing stood out about those movies to me except the sets and props. And the benefits were offset by whiny hobbits and writers stripping out major, iconic moments that pretty much defined characters in favor of browbeating the idea that the ring is bad into us. I mean, that's straight from the mouths of the writers, too. For the record, though, I own the movies, and I find them pretty entertaining. But on a pure critical level, yeah, they're a solid B, B-.

But you think this movie is awesome for doing the exact same things, while also shoe-horning in an appendix plot and making Thorin pissy all the time?

I get loving this movie for Martin Freeman, or Andy Sirkis, or Ian McKellen, etc. I get loving how it looks, or enjoying the inclusion of the necromancer story, or even liking the amusement park ride version of the fight with the goblins, but it sounds like you gave the Hobbit a pass on the things you ding the LOTR movies for.

F

Frankie

See, that's total crap. You guys have made some kind of game out of it, but for every dislike I post, I've probably posted about 50 things I liked. Okay, maybe "mediocre" was too strong, but "mediocre" doesn't mean "bad". It means "average". Nothing stood out about those movies to me except the sets and props. And the benefits were offset by whiny hobbits and writers stripping out major, iconic moments that pretty much defined characters in favor of browbeating the idea that the ring is bad into us. I mean, that's straight from the mouths of the writers, too. For the record, though, I own the movies, and I find them pretty entertaining. But on a pure critical level, yeah, they're a solid B, B-.
I feel your pain. I take this kind of shit all the time. Heaven for fucking bid you have a critical thought about anything.

fade

Staff member
But you think this movie is awesome for doing the exact same things, while also shoe-horning in an appendix plot and making Thorin pissy all the time?

I get loving this movie for Martin Freeman, or Andy Sirkis, or Ian McKellen, etc. I get loving how it looks, or enjoying the inclusion of the necromancer story, or even liking the amusement park ride version of the fight with the goblins, but it sounds like you gave the Hobbit a pass on the things you ding the LOTR movies for.
Those aren't what I'm talking about. I don't mind actioning it up. That's okay. Dropping Bombadil or swapping a high elf no one connects with with the love interest is peachy. Punching it up isn't my issue. Things like the repetitive weakening of all the hobbit characters, especially F and S bothered me. But it wasn't just story changes. But really, love it if you like. Peace and love, and all that.

I wouldn't say "game" so much as "running joke." Fade not liking something is like Dave's age, my prom night, and Shego being a hired killer.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, I get it, and I enjoy it. I was just pointing out that it was being seriously invoked there.

Status
Not open for further replies.