THE HOBBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's facepalmy about it?
The animal. Sorry, it just didn't fit with me.
I liked the movie and the rabbits fitted excellently for Radagast, but the elk/whatever somehow did not fit into my picture of an elven king.

Unless he's Santa Claus.

The animal. Sorry, it just didn't fit with me.
I liked the movie and the rabbits fitted excellently for Radagast, but the elk/whatever somehow did not fit into my picture of an elven king.

Unless he's Santa Claus.

Uh, that's like a token standard in most fantasy. Wood elves ride on stag mounts.

Uh, that's like a token standard in most fantasy. Wood elves ride on stag mounts.
Well, yes, but, bearing in mind that I haven't seen the emovie yet, I can see why it wouldn't fit for him. AS you said yourself, Wood elves ride stag mounts. High elves don't. So, depending on your personal view of what the Elven King would look like, I can easily see this as breaking immersion.

This may well be so, but not in my world and probably not in Tolkien's; though I would not put that out of reach for him at the time and under the circumstances the Hobbit was written. Just in case, there's no insult intented, I hold Tolkien in very high esteem!
And it did not put me in the wrong mind, I still greatly enjoyed the movie. It was just one picture that kept itself in the back of my mind.

Well, yes, but, bearing in mind that I haven't seen the emovie yet, I can see why it wouldn't fit for him. AS you said yourself, Wood elves ride stag mounts. High elves don't. So, depending on your personal view of what the Elven King would look like, I can easily see this as breaking immersion.
Lore-wise, though, that is indeed a wood elf. Unless I've gotten my lore completely messed up, which is possible given how I'm a Tolkien newbie.

Lore-wise, though, that is indeed a wood elf. Unless I've gotten my lore completely messed up, which is possible given how I'm a Tolkien newbie.
It's somewhat complicated. Most of the elves in Mirkwood are indeed Silvan (Wood) elves. But the royal ruling family, which includes Legolas, are Sindarin (Grey) elves from Doriath. So Thranduil is not a wood elf, but he is the king of the Wood Elves.

EDIT: And just to make things even more complicated, the royal family may or may not be what Tolkien considered "High Elves", i.e. the elves of Gondolin, who were intermixed Noldorin and Sindarin elves. Tolkien didn't specify the exact parentage of Thranduil's family, but most likely they were descended from the House of Thingol, which means they weren't from Gondolin, which means they're not "High Elves".

It's somewhat complicated. Most of the elves in Mirkwood are indeed Silvan (Wood) elves. But the royal ruling family, which includes Legolas, are Sindarin (Grey) elves from Doriath. So Thranduil is not a wood elf, but he is the king of the Wood Elves.

EDIT: And just to make things even more complicated, the royal family may or may not be what Tolkien considered "High Elves", i.e. the elves of Gondolin, who were intermixed Noldorin and Sindarin elves. Tolkien didn't specify the exact parentage of Thranduil's family, but most likely they were descended from the House of Thingol, which means they weren't from Gondolin, which means they're not "High Elves".
So, while in terms of heritage, Thranduil might not be a wood elf, he's the king of the wood elves, so it's entirely plausible that he's embraced the wood elf culture and found himself an antlered mount.

At my second viewing, when Gandolf bamfs in and flashes with the foehammer, while it was all dark and quiet for those few seconds afterward, everyone in the theatre in awe, and some guy goes "...yeah!" but kinda monotone and the whole crowd erupts in laughter. It's been the one time someone commented at a movie during it that I wasn't even mad, just totally in for the ride. Might have been cause I had already seen it but it really seemed liek the whole theatre enjoyed it.

It really is odd when you realize Balin is YOUNGER then Thorin, yet they only added some white streaks to Thorin and made Balin into Grandpa Dwarf. They were definitely trying to sexy the main dwarf character up a bit.

It really is odd when you realize Balin is YOUNGER then Thorin, yet they only added some white streaks to Thorin and made Balin into Grandpa Dwarf. They were definitely trying to sexy the main dwarf character up a bit.
I definitely think they were trying to make him more Aragorn-like.

Thorin was always a bad-ass though, they didn't play his skills up that much, just made him younger-looking. Not like Legolas who in the books is an incredibly skilled fighter but in the movies he's like an Epic Demi-God with Invincibility and homing, stabbing arrows.

Sounds about right. Hell, if it wasn't for that card game, I wouldn't have known there were 5 Wizards.
I actually read the Silmarillian and Unfinished Tales.

The Silmarillian was such a slog to get through. It's basically the bible of middle earth, including all the tedious lineage tracing.

I actually enjoyed how Jackson got around the multiple names of the Blue Wizards by just having Gandalf forget the names. The whole theater chuckled a bit on that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.