THE HOBBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is maybe going out of town the weekend after Christmas, so it seems like an ideal opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do--watch all three extended editions of LOTR back to back to back.
I house-sat for my uncle one week and did this. Bought a big pizza and a 12 pack of beer. It was a glorious night.

I'm not sure if I've gotten a food dream, I'll have to experiment. However if I eat too much Pepperoni at once I vurp a little and never tastes good coming up. Don't know why, it just doesn't.

I was talking about 12 hours of LoTR in a row.

nine hours of LoTR and 3 hours of hobbit if you like.

god eventually it'll be 18 hours of lord of the rings. just need an 8 hour simirillion and you can spend a day in middle earth.

North_Ranger

Staff member
It took me about an hour to start blinking again after I came out of the theatre today. I was expecting a good movie, but holy shit on a piece of lembas was I blown away!

There's the sense of epic storytelling you expect from a Lord of the Rings movie, yet at the same time the movie managed to bring forth the light-hearted, sometimes even comedic sense of adventure I remember from the fantasy movies of the '80s. The music is pure gold, and I can't stop humming the soft, melancholy tune of the dwarves. The cast was spot on, and despite the difference in tone from the heavy epic of the LotR trilogy, you never thought you were watching "a kids' flick". I can't even start listing the scenes that had made staring at the screen in sheer awe.

Must see 3D soon! Must get soundtrack! Must get the DVD! F*** you, cancer, I'm gonna see all three movies at least twice a piece!

Another thing is that despite the tonal difference, The Hobbit actually enriches the LOTR trilogy. We get to see Gandalf as much less serious, Sarumon as a know-it-all instead of a villain, and a land that is full of perils, but isn't on the brink of becoming a hellhole, which makes the sense of loss in LOTR much more profound,

It's nice to have a prequel that strengthens the movies that came before... unlike certain other prequels.

Another thing is that despite the tonal difference, The Hobbit actually enriches the LOTR trilogy. We get to see Gandalf as much less serious, Sarumon as a know-it-all instead of a villain, and a land that is full of perils, but isn't on the brink of becoming a hellhole, which makes the sense of loss in LOTR much more profound,

It's nice to have a prequel that strengthens the movies that came before... unlike certain other prequels.
yeah.... all the people saying we will get a good Star Wars film now that Lucas isn't involved I say pah! we are more likely than ever before the see light sabers turned into flash lights ala E.T. and have it retconned that all clones are actually robots.

As much as I liked JCofMars it was still a little too clean for my liking.

F

Frankie

To be fair, it doesn't hurt that it was written before LOTR. A common problem, I think, with prequels is writing around what comes after.

To be fair, it doesn't hurt that it was written before LOTR. A common problem, I think, with prequels is writing around what comes after.
True, but the movies didn't, and I kept cringing in anticipation of some fuck-up (like characters showing hints of what would be going on in LOTR) that never came.

North_Ranger

Staff member
There were some scenes in the movie that I must mention specifically, for various reasons of awesomeness:

The dwarves singing. Pretty much given, with the group of rowdy dwarves suddenly growing somber and quiet, with a beautiful and melancholy song humming in the dark.

Radagast and his rabbit sled. Okay, the Brown Wizard is clearly nuttier than a bag of chipmunks, but the way he reacts to Gandalf telling he cannot possibly hope to outrun the Gundabad wargs. Seriously, they managed to make a pothead hedge wizard and a bunch of rabbits frickin' badass!

Bofur (the dwarf with the hat) and Bilbo. You could just see how much it hurt Bofur when Bilbo blurted out "You're used to this! You don't belong anywhere!". James Nesbitt, the actor playing him, didn't have to say a word. You could just see in his eyes that Bilbo's words had hurt Bofur more than anything else. And yet he still said he wished the hobbit all the best. I actually feel bad for making fun of him and his hat...

Gandalf. Just... bloody... Gandalf. In that infamous Cracked video he was accused of being the most useless wizard ever, but in this movie he just keeps on piling awesome upon awesome. Hey Thorin, remember that guy you disliked but ended up saving your life? Gandalf hired him. Hey dwarves, remember who saved your sorry asses at least three times? Yup, Gandalf again. Oh, and who was it that pretty much one-shot the living crap out of the goblin king? Gandalf the Grey, bitches. No wonder Galadriel's so damn smitten with him. The man's a walking miracle.

Also, found this in YouTube and have since been playing it nonstop:

I think it's funny how people keep criticizing the scene of Gandalf meeting Galadriel and Saruman.

Not realizing, if you have a problem with it, it's a perfect bathroom break point :p.

Just got back from it.

Short review: I agree with everything everyone has ever said about this movie. Yes, everything. Which makes me borderline schizophrenic, I know.

Slightly longer review:

Yes, the faster framerate took some getting used to. Yes, it made some scenes look fake. Yes, in particular the CG, such as the eagles. Yes, it also made lots of stuff look really cool.

Yes, the singing was awesome, particularly since it established the dwarves' leitmotif very effectively, which made the rest of the times it appeared much more recognizable, and thus it was easy to feel the "FUCK YEAH DWARVES" feeling when the music showed up. The musical callbacks to the LotR movies were awesome too, such as the Shire theme, the Rivendell theme, the eagles theme, the One Ring theme, etc. Although I noticed they seemed to have used the Nazgul theme when Thorin advanced towards Azog, which was weird. Still awesome though. Also, when the elves came to rescue everyone from the warg attack, I mistook the music for the Rohan theme. I was all like "FUCK YEAH ROHIRRIM oh wait..."

Yes, the movie dragged a bit. For example, did we really need to have Bilbo fall off the cliff? And then Thorin falling down after him? Did that add anything to the movie? We already know they're in peril, the ten minutes prior already established that, what with the fighting giants and all. I actually feel like they could've cut a lot of Radagast's stuff, and maybe a few chunks of the goblins.

Yes, this movie was lighter in tone than the LotR movies. I actually thought parts of it would work as a kids' film. Well, apart from all the decapitations.

Yes, there was a Wilheim Scream. I actually thought there were two, but the first one I wasn't 100% sure about. The second one, from a goblin, was definitely it though.

I have to admit that the orc vocal tones were pretty well established by the time they put the wilhelm in for the orc, and it was definitely out of place. Orcs don't scream like that.

Which, of course, means they must have accidentally killed someone who had disguised themselves and infiltrated the orcs.

Probably set back the Tolkien Bureau of Investigation's case against the Orc's tax evasion by decades.

psst, it was a Goblin. I think I'm in on the joke of the Wilhelm scream now, I love hearing it in a movie.

figmentPez

Staff member
I wonder how many people were against color in movies at first. Was there a great outcry over color making things look fake, and ruining the dream-like qualities of a movie?

Ooooh, I was getting confused. Of course sting glows for both orcs and goblins, but this morning I was thinking that it only glowed for orcs.

Obviously need to reread the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.