The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

I'm still mystified this required a license. I'm used to the ol' Ron Swanson permit.

Well, I don't exactly 'need' it. You can buy and operate a boat in Canada as long as you have a Pleasure Craft Operator's Certificate, which basically means you read a tiny book about what is pretty much common sense, and spent $40. The certification I got specifically lets me charter and skipper a boat that I haven't bought - basically a certification telling a company that I (probably) won't destroy their ship. It's also just an invaluable learning experience, I was living on board for five full days, reading tide and current tables, using marine charts, etc., so it was all sorts of useful.

I suppose it's worth noting there are definitely companies that will rent you a sailboat as long as you've got a credit card.

Well, I don't exactly 'need' it. You can buy and operate a boat in Canada as long as you have a Pleasure Craft Operator's Certificate, which basically means you read a tiny book about what is pretty much common sense, and spent $40. The certification I got specifically lets me charter and skipper a boat that I haven't bought - basically a certification telling a company that I (probably) won't destroy their ship. It's also just an invaluable learning experience, I was living on board for five full days, reading tide and current tables, using marine charts, etc., so it was all sorts of useful.

I suppose it's worth noting there are definitely companies that will rent you a sailboat as long as you've got a credit card.
Sounds neat. Let's go sailing! Come pick me up.

fade

Staff member
I'm still mystified this required a license. I'm used to the ol' Ron Swanson permit.

Yeah, I was surprised, too. I've never lived in a place that required a license for a boat. You can get private certificates which you sometimes need to rent larger sailboats, but those usually only work at the place you bought them from.

I think in the U.S. a driver's license is all you need for a boat. My parents and brother are the boaters in my family though, I still get baffled at what people in Colorado call a lake.

So not only do I have an apartment lined up for October 1st because the owner is so nice and wanted to do whatever she could to help me after learning my situation, I contacted income assistance, I got my student ID (my classes start on the 10th) I also have a job interview on Friday!!! :D everything is finally going my way!

fade

Staff member
Yeah, one thing I've learned is that there are as many awesome landlords out there as evil ones. My landlord in Boston (duplex) actually became one of my best friends while I was there. We made improvements to the house together.

So not only do I have an apartment lined up for October 1st because the owner is so nice and wanted to do whatever she could to help me after learning my situation, I contacted income assistance, I got my student ID (my classes start on the 10th) I also have a job interview on Friday!!! :D everything is finally going my way!