The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

I have not left America in 31 years. Even then I only went about five blocks into Mexico.
It's worth it for the food, but traveling super-long (>10 hr) flights has definitely tempered my excitement of going places. The last time I was out of the country was a conference trip to Vancouver. The food was amazing. I ate Asian food the entire time I was there. So good.

GasBandit

Staff member
I left the country 10 or so years ago, my best friend got married on a cruise to Mexico. I'm not one for traveling over open ocean if I can avoid it, but laying on that pristine (private, groomed) mexican beach where a waiter came by every 10 minutes to pour an entire bottle of rum directly into my mouth... that was real fuckin nice.

Been thinking I should get a full-on server in the house, just so I have something I can play with, maybe train on, learn how to do VMWare or other virtualization stuff, move my Minecraft to it, get a ZFS share going, whatever. Found a deal on a dual 6-core Westmere EP system (2010 Mac Pro), someone selling it for $1050. It even has the upgraded 5870 graphics card which ain't easy to find. This thing was ~$6000 when it was new and used units are actually still going for $2100 or so. I asked* Kati to let me pull the trigger on it and she said she couldn't find a good reason to say no (we just bought her a new laptop and Cary a new computer, I'm the only one who doesn't have anything new).
...and after the time spent researching the capabilities of the unit itself and consulting with Kati, I come back to find that the price on the sale page has actually dropped another $100 to $950 while I was doing the discussion. SOLD!

Please, oh please let there be nothing wrong with it that I can't easily fix I mean it still has a 1yr warranty from the seller but please please please...
[DOUBLEPOST=1502332233,1502331848][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and it comes on Friday, while I'm still away on vacation.
I hope Cranky doesn't hurt himself (or it!) trying to get it up the stairs.

--Patrick
*begged

Please, oh please let there be nothing wrong with it that I can't easily fix I mean it still has a 1yr warranty from the seller but please please please...
Passed all testing, appears to be nothing wrong with it aside from missing the main drive tray and most of the memory (previous owner probably kept his drive/data and RAM). Just need to get a tray and some fresh RAM and I should be good to go. Now to find an affordable AHCI SSD for one of the PCIe slots so I can make all 4 HDD banks for storage...

--Patrick

As of 4pm I'm on vacation until Monday the 28th. Leaving in the morning for Mephis/Nashville/Pigeon Forge for the next few days.

GasBandit

Staff member
As of 4pm I'm on vacation until Monday the 28th. Leaving in the morning for Mephis/Nashville/Pigeon Forge for the next few days.
Nice! After work tomorrow, me too! I'll be driving up through Albuquerque to Colorado to visit family, arriving back the night of the 27th.