The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

I was out shopping with my mum yesterday and we ran into one of her friends who knew that she had her granddaughter in town. She thought I was mum's granddaughter :)
My Dad hated taking me to the store when I was little. Anytime I asked for something in the checkout line, the clerk would say "Go ahead and get it for your grandson."

He was only 40 when I was born, but he looked much older. Then he quit aging. Now if you don't look too long, he looks 60 even though he's 88.

My Dad hated taking me to the store when I was little. Anytime I asked for something in the checkout line, the clerk would say "Go ahead and get it for your grandson."

He was only 40 when I was born, but he looked much older. Then he quit aging. Now if you don't look too long, he looks 60 even though he's 88.
I'm going to believe the clerks knew him and were constantly teasing him about his apparent age, it's funnier that way.

My eldest stepson made staff sergeant (e-5) today in the USAF.
That's the first NCO rank, and you only have a limited number of tries at the promotion before they separate you from the air force--I think it's two. And it's a competitive promotion--meaning you gotta do better than most of the other people going for it. He's tried once before and didn't make it, so making it this time was critical.

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDispl...ts-16506-for-promotion-to-staff-sergeant.aspx

Out of the 39K applicants, only 16K got promoted. My stepson's been in 6 years, and e-4 has an 8 year enlistment duration limitation (known as High Year of Tenure), so he was busting his balls to get promoted this time around.

It's a pretty good win. E5 has a HYT of 15 years, so even if he doesn't promote to e6, he'll be able to stay in long enough to rack up a decent pension.

I fell to my knees and wept at the radiance that is Zero Esc's new computer.

Well, actually, I was crying more because my computer's getting crappy and I can't replace or upgrade it yet. But also Zero's new computer.

So at work I figured out how to change how your name shows up on the computers and schedule. Well, turns out that this works for I guess everything on the computer, including certifications.

Screenshot_2016-08-28-14-11-47.png

It's good to be the king.

Zappit

Staff member
I'm on a roll lately. I got my first real teaching job. I attended a three-day PD and then found out I was being paid VERY well to be there. I also got twenty bucks for volunteering for a bit during that PD. Today, at the teacher's convocation, I won the 50/50 raffle, and got over two hundred dollars.

I have no idea why my luck has turned around like this. It feels like it's not even real. I got so used to bad news and devastating disappointment that I honestly had no hope left. None.

Today just feels good.

So, iTunes tells me I have 8 days worth of music. Thousands of mp3s. (yeah, iTunes..i got myself an iPhone recently, as some may recall).

I've been collecting some of them from the dawn of time--well, at least as far as mp3s are concerned. Since before id3 tags. And back when variable bit rate was a thing because hard drive space was a premium. You know, back when you had to run 3 separate DOS programs at the command line to rip a CD, and it took 6-8 hours.

Over the years, I've done my best to try to organize the files--first by using the file structure to lay out genre/artist/track information, and then later by manually editing id3 tags (OMG such a pain). I've never followed completely through with it, because I never used a music player where having all of the pristine data made enough sense for me to go through the nightmare.

But iTunes and the iPhone music player, it makes a difference. And since I use the phone to play tunes while I'm driving, all of the "Untitled Tracks" and stuff was driving me bonkers. Not to mention all of the non-standard variable bitrate conversions saying that certain songs were 18-20 minutes long when they weren't.

Finally, today, I downloaded MusicBrainz Picard and managed to properly (and mostly automagically) tag all but a small handful of obscure music files. So now they all finally show up properly in iTunes and on my phone. I even used Audacity to bulk re-convert all of the variable bitrate mp3s into 128kb bitrate files, so even the time calculations should be correct. Joy!

Last edited:
I tried that about a year ago. It assigned the wrong name to a decent number of tracks.
i tried it a while back too..maybe a couple years.

I think the acoustic fingerprinting is a lot better than the "try to figure out the album by file name"...I'm not sure when that was added, but I don't recall using it last time.

I tried that about a year ago. It assigned the wrong name to a decent number of tracks.
I'm going to guess you were using it wrong, then.

I mostly use it to correct existing tags to better get iTunes Match to recognize the file so I can replace it with their (usually higher resolution) copy.

Absolutely crushed my wife #Squidleybits at the card game Pokemon last night.

She should know better than to challenge me to a turn based game.

Albuquerque?
Where the sun is always shining and the air smells like warm root beer
And the towels are oh so fluffy
Where the shriners and the lepers play their ukuleles all day long
And anyone on the street will glady shave your back for a nickel

Almost sorry I'm not there. Not just because our anniversary is coming up, but also because my aunt lives in Rio Rancho.

--Patrick