The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

So we finally were able to file for bankruptcy last month and decided to give up my wife's car as it was only worth about $2500 while we still owed about $8000 on it. I had to take her 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe in for a factory recall for springs that could break due to salt use in Wisconsin (go figure that salt gets used here) and they found about $2-3k worth of repairs needed to fix it (ball joints, steering rack, steering hoses, brakes, and such) - plus if we kept it, it wouldn't have started rebuilding our credit at all.

In the mail we received a flier from a car dealership about 30 min away from us that helps people get a vehicle after filing bankruptcy - we came home yesterday with a 2013 Chevy Impala with less than 20k miles - for less money per month than what we were supposed to be paying for what we had.... I've never owned a vehicle with that low of miles on it - it's basically brand new! The first vehicle I owned started off with over 30k on it.

On top of that - I was diagnosed with mild hearing loss due to genetics and last week I picked up my hearing aids - not only am I finally able to hear pretty decently, but my insurance covers 80% of the hearing aids (can only get new ones every 3 years, but still), so I was able to get pretty much the top of the line hearing aids for a minimal cost to me...

My wife is also seeing a new doctor that is actually getting her blood sugars under control (has Diabetes) and they are putting her with the people she needs to get everything else under control unlike her first doctor.

Things are finally starting to look up for us for once.

Last edited:
Your post started like "am I sure I'm in the Epic win thread"? I'm glad things are looking up, man! You've needed it.
I did that on purpose - easier to show how low things really were to make the whole "new" car feeling so much better.

In a couple of months we'll have the bankruptcy discharged and we'll be free of pretty much everything from the past - that will be such a good feeling.

Flag flag flag flag flag flag...(pause)
Flag flaggy flag-flag flag...(pause)
Flag flaggy flag-flag flag...(pause)
Flaaaag flag flaaaaag flag...(repeat)

--Patrick

So....Why's J "letters" and K "0" instead of vice versa? Otherwise, neat, never knew it was that logical. I mean, not easy to learn to read quickly, but more logically built from the existing alphabet than, say, braille (there's good reasons why braille isn't built up that way according to the regular alphabet, but that's another matter).

We got a new kitten today. Well, a new young cat. He's about 5 1/2 months old, domestic short hair, tuxedo cat. Still young enough to be not quite completely sure of himself. We had to put our oldest girl down a couple weeks back because the cancer she'd had last September had spread to her lungs and she couldn't breathe much anymore. The shelter named him Franklin, but we think he seems a bit more like a Lancelot. Pictures to come when he stops moving around enough to get non-blurry photos.

Taught a knot tying session to 20 Scout Leaders last night. Now I can tie almost any knot blindfolded and some with one hand tied behind my back, that's not why this is a win.

I have no business being any sort of teacher. My hat goes off to any who seek out this profession. It is simply not a part of my skill set.

So I worked and rehearsed for the past month and it went very well and was well received by the group.

So insert Kermit yaaayyy gif!

I think you are fantastic with the Scouts and Leaders. Give yourself more credit! You are an expert in the subject (and camping/outdoors/etc) and should for sure be teaching it to others.

Dave

Staff member
Going to be interviewed tomorrow on KSIB radio in Creston, IA at 9 am CST. You can listen using this link: http://citylinktv.com/channel/creston-ksib-radio/and it'll be a guy named Brandon and myself being interviewed for a show THIS SATURDAY at the Creston Eagle's Lodge.

And yes, it's my SUPER SECRET stage name, Dave DeLong. Yes, I have a comedy alter ego. I am the broke Bruce Wayne to his comedy Batman. The Clark Kent to his Superman. The Arthur Curry to his Aquaman. Wait. Aquaman is lame. Let's go with the Peter Parker to his Spider-man.

I've switched classrooms for my observations. I am with a 2nd grade class now. This morning I brought something in for the pre-k teacher. The kids were so happy to see me. I ended up with a "skirt" of about 20 little bodies as they all hugged me at the same time. My heart grew 10 sizes today.

Cajungal

Staff member
I've switched classrooms for my observations. I am with a 2nd grade class now. This morning I brought something in for the pre-k teacher. The kids were so happy to see me. I ended up with a "skirt" of about 20 little bodies as they all hugged me at the same time. My heart grew 10 sizes today.
Isn't that a great feeling? My students alternate quarters with me, so the last day of the quarter is full of hugs!
I