The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

We got down to about $2.44/gal. at the NEX gas station (FYI for non-military/non-US people NEX is the Navy's store) and it was about the same at Costco. Out in town it was slightly higher, closer to $2.60. The lower gas prices have also meant that Matson had to lower their shipping charges.

Apparently some folks were posting some pretty shitty things in the comments section of it, to the extent that his parents posted a reply.

I think it was a pretty boss move by the kid. Regardless of whether or not he had any ulterior motive (and whether or not he might have even realized he had one), he did something genuinely thoughtful and sweet that will hopefully resonate positively with every girl from his school. Kudos to him!

Went sledding down our sculpted hill, then had a bonfire in the woods with hot dogs and hot chocolate. About 7 families and 14 kids in total.

But the best part is that I smell like campfire smoke.

@Squidleybits loves it when I smell like campfire smoke.

:unibrow:

IfyouknowwhatImean.*

*I have no idea what this euphemism might translate to. I just thought it'd be a neat new hobby to follow up things like this with "if you know what I mean".
I actually do this (or "I know what you're saying") sometimes with a friend who is a bit naive about many things, and he'll wonder what he's said that's a double entendre.

Necronic

Staff member
Just got the last W-2 in for my wife and did the rough calculations. My return is over 5k. This is because we just got married, and while I have been supporting her (she is in a PhD program) for a while this is the first year I can actually claim her on my taxes. If I had filed singly I may have had to pay 0.0, gonna have to buy her something nice.

Well. Her car just fell apart, so I guess I have to buy her that...... With the return and the extra cash from increasing my exemptions on my W-4 that gives me the down payment and the monthly payments for a new car, more or less.

Dave

Staff member
Well, epic doesn't even begin to cut it. Just got a call from the lady with whom I'm working for the KC game show night. She told others in her HUGE MULTINATIONAL COMPANY about us...and they want to start flying us all over to put on shows for their corporation. We're not talking enough to let me quit my day job, but we're talking potentially big dollars. I'm in a holy shit kind of way right now and I don't know if I'm processing everything yet.

Holy shit.

Well, epic doesn't even begin to cut it. Just got a call from the lady with whom I'm working for the KC game show night. She told others in her HUGE MULTINATIONAL COMPANY about us...and they want to start flying us all over to put on shows for their corporation. We're not talking enough to let me quit my day job, but we're talking potentially big dollars. I'm in a holy shit kind of way right now and I don't know if I'm processing everything yet.

Holy shit.
I don't want to spoil the ending, but they're actually flying you out to an island to hunt you for sport.

Holy shit.
Dude - that is awesome, congratulations.

Dave

Staff member
Well, I'm glad that HUGE MULTINATIONAL COMPANY thinks that your troupe is funny/novel enough to want to fly y'all around and show you off to all of HUGE MULTINATIONAL COMPANY's friends.

--Patrick
I don't really want to say who it is before the ink is dry. Let's just say that it's a hotel chain that has them all over the globe. PARIS comes to mind...

I wasn't trying to get you to divulge, I was just patting you on the back because it seems people really do think you're funny.

--Patrick

Oh man, the Motel 6 Paris is amazing let me tell you...
They really entretenir les feux allumés*, do they?

...that's hot.

--Patrick
*According to Google Translate, this can mean not only "leave the lights on" but also "keep the home fires burning." If true, this is perfect.

Last edited:
Income tax refund!

Sure, I have to set a little aside to account for Amazon's 1099 snafu, but only $200 or so, because as near as I can tell, the 1099's were pretty close to what I actually earned anyway.

With the adult kids moving out at the end of last month, I have a huge basement that I can now put a poker table, pool table, media center, and wet bar in.

This is one year where I don't mind at all that the refund money is already all accounted for. It's gonna be awesome

Last edited: