The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Shannow

Staff member
Ummm...so on a lark, I tried to apply for a new position within my company down in Austin,TX after I rejected the last opening and offer that was available to me in October. I thought I was going for a lateral move this time around, with no new benefits or pay increase.

...They went ahead and offered me the job, with a 20% bump to my salary, a full relocation package, luxury corporate apartment until I find a new place down there, moving all my stuff for free, including my vehicles. Moving company is coming in and doing all the packing and moving. A full month of my new salary as a stipend for any little expenses incurred, and they will fly me down as a part of the move. I declined the last, and as such, I am getting a free week off with pay to ride my Harley down cross country from here in upstate New York, paid mileage, and full reimbursement for all hotel stays.

I will be officially living in Austin Texas as of June 1st. I did not see that coming. Another huge raise and its only been 7 months since my last one :)

BOOYAH! SHANNOW IS STILL ALIVE AND KICKING ASS!!

...and wandering the earth.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and my new shift...so good. I am a night guy, have been for years, and it is what I like. I currently supervise the national NOC here nights weekend as four 10 hour shifts here, wed-sat night.

The Shift they are putting me down for is...three 12 hour nights, with a rotating 4th day every 4 weeks. So, 4 day weekends every week of the month but one. Woooooooooo!

Last edited:
I don't have to go back to work until May 27! Plus, I get paid to not go to work! Plus, I still have 10 more vacation days to use this year! Plus, I still have July 4 and Labor Day holidays! Plus, I still have 2 personal days to use too! OH YEAH!

I just got accepted into a masters program for Experimental Psychology at UMD. This means that I don't even have to relocate for grad school!
I left their faculty 3 years ago but I was minorly involved in designing the curriculum for that program. Then the economy tanked and it sat in administrative hell for a few years. I saw last year that they had finally got it going. It ought to be a good program with a lot of young, motivated professors to work with. Congratulations on your acceptance! In another universe where I didn't land my current job, I would be your professor, most likely. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I left their faculty 3 years ago but I was minorly involved in designing the curriculum for that program. Then the economy tanked and it sat in administrative hell for a few years. I saw last year that they had finally got it going. It ought to be a good program with a lot of young, motivated professors to work with. Congratulations on your acceptance! In another universe where I didn't land my current job, I would be your professor, most likely. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
I'm super excited about it. I will be getting an assistanceship for at least my first semester, the rest is dependent on financing for the department. But I get half off my tuition and some stipend money. They are also going to have research assistanceships throughout as well, but with fewer perks. I'm looking forward to it.

Finally after one of the worst travel days of my life I finally made it h-
Wait, whats that?

photo (8).JPG

Could it be?

photo (9).JPG

It is!

photo (10).JPG

Thank you @Dave!

People: recommend me games!

Finally after one of the worst travel days of my life I finally made it h-
Wait, whats that?

View attachment 14883

Could it be?

View attachment 14884

It is!

View attachment 14885

Thank you @Dave!

People: recommend me games!
There isnt much out yet really. Knack is fun if you like platformer/collecting games. Killzone bored me but wasn't terrible. I just don't love shooters like some. Assassins creed 4 is worth getting for the naval parts if nothing else.

Infamous:Second Son is a lot of fun while suffering from sandboxitis, lots of side missions that you don't really have to do but almost feel compelled to. Some are fun, some tedious. The main story is good and the game itself is damn pretty. Gameplay wise it's lots of fun, if fairly short, though worth a second play to see how the other spectrums decisions and powers play out.

Last edited:
I'm on a roll lately.

My girlfriend decided that my birthday gift is going to be a weekend trip for the two of us. She won't say where we're going but our hotel room has a beautiful view, a king bed, and a rooftop jacuzzi.