The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

I think the Netflix Marvel stuff might be bouncing right around that R rating. Right before they announced the those they added more control to what was available on the “child” accounts.

US market has different lineups from Canada and UK, so wouldn't surprise me it’s different in Taiwan.
Don’t forget that Richards is also batcrap crazy.

Outside the US, Disney has something called "STAR" as part of it's service to make it more attractive. A lot of stuff on STAR is R or higher.

Fun fact: if you were sharing an Disney+ account with someone in another region, they couldn't watch the R+ stuff until very recently. US account holders could only set the max rating at PG-13.

Last edited:
Huh. Does this apply everywhere? Because I'm currently watching Starship Troopers on D+ and that's definitely R-rated.

Denise Richards is so hot. Can't act, but so hot.
Starship Troopers is owned by Sony/Touchstone pictures and in the states streamed through Netflix. I guess Disney somehow got the rights for digital distribution in Taiwan.

figmentPez

Staff member
Huh. Does this apply everywhere? Because I'm currently watching Starship Troopers on D+ and that's definitely R-rated.

Denise Richards is so hot. Can't act, but so hot.
Streaming lineups for all services vary wildly between different countries. (Recently I was searching for the Fast & Furious movies, and initially thought I'd be able to watch them all through Netflix, but somehow JustWatch was showing me results for Canada. Here in the US the Fast & Furious movies are spread out over at least 3 different streaming services.)

What I've heard is that Disney+ wasn't originally meant to exclude R-rated stuff, but conservatives in the US made such a stink about how Disney should be family friendly, they dropped / temporarily halted their plans to put anything that appealed mostly to adults on the service.

Starship Troopers is owned by Sony/Touchstone pictures and in the states streamed through Netflix. I guess Disney somehow got the rights for digital distribution in Taiwan.
Touchstone Pictures was Disney's label for their films aimed at adult audiences. Disney's Buena Vista has international distribution rights for the film and Sony has the North American distribution.

Also, I guess Star Wars is Disney shit now, so this guy is playing live action Ezra (Star Wars Rebels) and good lord, that's a handsome fella.

I want to know what exactly was said at the pitch meeting where this was presented to the Disney higher-ups. Because either the guy making the pitch is a marketing genius, or the guys calling the shots at Disney have questionable tastes.

Disney is a multi billion company with more executives than necessary. Before anything reach the final stage of promoting it goes through several hands. You can not tell me that along the way no one pointed out how this looks. So was this the idea of a higher up and nobody wanted to risk their job opposing this?

Finally watched Hocus Pocus 2. If you absolutely love the first one, there's a lot to like in this one and I feel like that's the mark they were going for. It's got Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy doing mostly the same stuff as before but also some really fun new jokes (the cellphone bit and the roombas come to mind). It's very clear they want to do a third one and I'm up for it if it's this quality or better.

Final Verdict: Worth the Watch!

Every episode of Andor has a huge problem.
They end and then we have to wait a week for the next one.

I don't believe I have been as enthralled in a SW series since ever. Most of the animated ones are fine. Of the live action ones only the Mandalorian comes close to something I'm excited about watching throughout the week. But Andor... this is gripping tv. How exactly did a show about blue collar star wars characters be so damn good? Despite the fact that all of the characters in the ongoing stories are bound to collide at some point I wouldn't honestly care if they ever did because each story is so wonderful. It's a side of SW I don't feel we've ever seen before. It's fun. It's suspenseful. And not a single Jedi in sight.
If you've found yourself feeling that you've been "Star Wars"ed out just do the influx of shows and films, I still highly recommend this series.

Every episode of Andor has a huge problem.
They end and then we have to wait a week for the next one.

I don't believe I have been as enthralled in a SW series since ever. Most of the animated ones are fine. Of the live action ones only the Mandalorian comes close to something I'm excited about watching throughout the week. But Andor... this is gripping tv. How exactly did a show about blue collar star wars characters be so damn good? Despite the fact that all of the characters in the ongoing stories are bound to collide at some point I wouldn't honestly care if they ever did because each story is so wonderful. It's a side of SW I don't feel we've ever seen before. It's fun. It's suspenseful. And not a single Jedi in sight.
If you've found yourself feeling that you've been "Star Wars"ed out just do the influx of shows and films, I still highly recommend this series.
I love the depth these shows add to the entire story as a whole. It’s not just space wizard blows shit up and saves the galaxy, it’s also about the people in the background who made it possible for that to happen. And the people who were hurt or betrayed for it.
Also,
I’m always impressed with Forests portrayal of Saw. I couldn’t imagine a better actor in that role.

Andor
This entire episode was simply moving the pieces on the chessboard, but when the credits rolled I was "How can it be over already?!" Loved seeing Saw. Still want to see Kallus show up, even as a cameo, since he's an ISB agent! Lt. Meero is an unexpected favorite. Sure, she's a "bad guy", but I can't help but root for her.

Tales of the Jedi
Dooku gets some background. We first meet him as a passionate young Jedi who wants to help people. I had a feeling he was supposed to be a somewhat sympathetic character who was led astray (as was hinted at in Attack of the Clones), and this confirms it. Like with Anakin, it's the problems with the Jedi Order that push him to his downfall. His episodes also confirm that Qui-Gon's death allowed the galaxy to go to hell, since Qui-Gon would have been a better mentor and advocate for Anakin, and he probably could have reigned in Dooku. That Dooku's final steps to the Dark Side took place as Qui-Gon's funeral was happening on Naboo says a lot.

Ahsoka had a cute intro. Episode 2 was rough, because you know it's leading to a Very Bad Day. Jesse was the first clone to stun Ahsoka in the training, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE, FILONI! :cry: I liked that it ended as Ahsoka and Rex walked into the hangar of the Tribunal, with the scene continuing in the actual episode. Episode 3, Ahsoka doesn't say much--she just seems exhausted, which works very well. Ahsoka's episodes were less about the why of her life (like Dooku), but more of the how (how she was first recognized as a Jedi, how she was able to hold off the clones during Order 66, how she became Fulcrum).
I hope they keep going with the Tales. I'd like to see Mace Windu's backstory, or a young Yoda!

While I absolutely don't think animation is just for kids, I do have to say I generally prefer live action. For one thing, there are just so many animation styles I don't like - for every time I see something that really moves me I see a whole lot of over-CGI'd or fake anime'd crap - and for another... A lot of modern animation tends to turn everything up to eleven. It can certainly fit some types of stories being told, but it often lessens the impact of scenes elsewhere for me.
Animation obviously allows for a lot more expressive things and greater bigger badder explosions or effects or whatever but so many... I dunno who's responsible here, animators or writers or whatever... Well anyway, just don't seem to understand the importance of nuance and finesse.
Especially in worlds which started out in life action, animation just seems to lead to villain decay and power amplification so fast.
Again, though, I have absolutely nothing against the medium itself.