The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

I don't particularly care for 3D animation myself (exceptions obviously), especially the Dreamworks/Pixar style.

What a kick in the dick it was for me recently when I downloaded the entire Blade Runner series (after Cyberpunk Edgerunners put me in the mood for that kind of thing) thinking I was getting this:

But instead getting this:

IMHO, a large part of whether animation is/is not the “right” medium depends on the story being told. For instance, I don’t feel like live action would work with something like Samurai Jack, just like I don’t think animation would’ve been the right vehicle for something like Rocky. Both are stories showcasing the growth and development of their respective protagonists as they train to fight their external opponents while simultaneously working to overcome their own internal demons, but I don’t think either one would tell its story as effectively if it were presented in the opposite medium.

—Patrick

I know I've been beating this drum the past few days but for how meaningful a medium animation can be, watch Arcane
Oh, I know how meaningful a medium it can be. I’ve seen The Iron Giant. And Kung Fu Panda. Still haven’t seen Up yet, though.

—Patrick

Oh, I know how meaningful a medium it can be. I’ve seen The Iron Giant. And Kung Fu Panda. Still haven’t seen Up yet, though.

—Patrick
As one of like three movies ever to make me cry (and we even included the song in our marriage ceremony :)) all I can say is, do get around to it, Up is really good. Well, parts of it.

I don't particularly care for 3D animation myself (exceptions obviously), especially the Dreamworks/Pixar style.

What a kick in the dick it was for me recently when I downloaded the entire Blade Runner series (after Cyberpunk Edgerunners put me in the mood for that kind of thing) thinking I was getting this:

But instead getting this:

It feels like that second gif is from motion capture done by a person who's not very good at swing swords.

IMHO, a large part of whether animation is/is not the “right” medium depends on the story being told. For instance, I don’t feel like live action would work with something like Samurai Jack, just like I don’t think animation would’ve been the right vehicle for something like Rocky. Both are stories showcasing the growth and development of their respective protagonists as they train to fight their external opponents while simultaneously working to overcome their own internal demons, but I don’t think either one would tell its story as effectively if it were presented in the opposite medium.

—Patrick
That's just because you've been trained to think like that.

None of the tropes we get when someone makes a live action film or an animated one are inherent to the medium itself, they're just a result of tradition.

Like, Super Sentai is basically live action anime.

None of the tropes we get when someone makes a live action film or an animated one are inherent to the medium itself, they're just a result of tradition.

Like, Super Sentai is basically live action anime.
And that's not even counting actual anime stories like Baki the Grappler or Meglobox, which are sports stories in the vein of Rocky and considered classics of the medium.

Hell, Del Toro turned super robot anime into live action with Pacific Rim. He'd love to do the reverse (he wanted to do a video game for YEARS but the project kept falling apart).

Me…and probably most of the rest of the world, too.
I’m not saying you [c|sh]ouldn’t make an animated film about the drudgery of soulless office work, I’m just saying the impact/connotations (the “meta”) will be inherently different than if it were done as a live-action film. There will also naturally be a trade-off regarding what things would be easier to storyboard and stage with each medium.
Yes, there will eventually come a day when CGI is indistinguishable from reality, and 100% of everything can be done in VR and technically be considered “animated,” but at that point it’ll be like debating whether lab-grown gemstones are “real.”

—Patrick

I’m just saying the impact/connotations (the “meta”) will be inherently different than if it were done as a live-action film.
I wasn't disagreeing with that, i was just pointing out that it's not because of the medium itself, but because "probably most of the rest of the world, too."

And that's not even counting actual anime stories like Baki the Grappler or Meglobox, which are sports stories in the vein of Rocky and considered classics of the medium.
But those are clearly more "exaggerated" then Rocky, which is what he's likely referring to.

Sure, animation lends itself better to that, because you can just draw it that way, instead of having to do weird stuff with the lighting and all that, but that's not an actual requirement, it's just how we're all used to it being.

Me…and probably most of the rest of the world, too.
I’m not saying you [c|sh]ouldn’t make an animated film about the drudgery of soulless office work, I’m just saying the impact/connotations (the “meta”) will be inherently different than if it were done as a live-action film. There will also naturally be a trade-off regarding what things would be easier to storyboard and stage with each medium.
Yes, there will eventually come a day when CGI is indistinguishable from reality, and 100% of everything can be done in VR and technically be considered “animated,” but at that point it’ll be like debating whether lab-grown gemstones are “real.”

—Patrick

Aggretsuko

Wildly successful anime based on a Sanrio character (Hello Kitty) about female office drone at the bottom of ladder, who gets kicked around by her sexist boss by day and vents it out by night by doing death metal karaoke.

Skull-face Book Seller Honda-san

Auto-biographical tales of Honda-san, a retail employee at a big chain of Japanese bookstores. In order to protect his and his fellow employee's identities, everyone has a weird head feature (Honda's a skeleton, another is a knight, etc.)

My point here is less that the medium expectations of the public are skewed than the fact...

- These things already exist
- Some of them are better than their live action competitors
- It's usually because they take better advantage of the medium than the live action ones do

To put it kindly, people in the US expect animation to only tackle children's topics or be weird gross/sexual comedies because those are most of what gets produced in the US for TV and film. You ask somebody from France, Germany, or Italy if animation is something for kids, there is a good chance they'll disagree with you because they've been exposed to more adult artistic stuff in the medium than the average American.

those are clearly more "exaggerated" then Rocky, which is what he's likely referring to.
I assume you are referring to techniques like Squash and Stretch and Wild Takes, which are (two of) the classic techniques animation uses to heighten expression beyond what can be done in live action (assuming you aren't someone like Jim Carrey, Jim Varney or Robin Williams, that is)
- It's usually because they take better advantage of the medium than the live action ones do

To put it kindly, people in the US expect animation to only tackle children's topics or be weird gross/sexual comedies because those are most of what gets produced in the US for TV and film. You ask somebody from France, Germany, or Italy if animation is something for kids, there is a good chance they'll disagree with you because they've been exposed to more adult artistic stuff in the medium than the average American.
I'm not French, German, nor Italian, but then I've been exposed to a much wider variety of animation than your average American. Twice Upon a Time, Diner, Push Comes to Shove, and easily dozens more I could name (once I look up their titles, that is). Allegro Non Troppo remains one of my favorite movies of all time, and I thought (what I've seen of) Drawn Together was absolutely brilliant.

--Patrick

Nowadays the idea of adult animation is a much more readily accepted in the US.

Hell, Del Toro turned super robot anime into live action with Pacific Rim. He'd love to do the reverse (he wanted to do a video game for YEARS but the project kept falling apart).
Baki the Grappler and Megaloblox seem like odd examples here. Neither are what I think would be considered classics, and are also completely unrealistic and ridiculous (though in a good way). Something like Touch or Ashita no Joe, which are both fairly realistic stories, seem like better counters to the point I think PatrThom is making with the Rocky example.

Holy shit, this weeks episode of Andor. It hit all the emotions.
So far, I think I’m enjoying this series better than any other Star Wars movie or show.
It's 25 minutes since the end credits rolled by and I still haven't come down from the emotional rush that episode dropped. I was literally sitting there and staring at the wall for five minutes, trying to get my mind back under control. It's freaky great!

Melshi (who Cassian is running with after the prison break) is in the squad on Scarif in Rogue One. How cool is that?

Could all of them be former prisoners from Narkina? That would be quite poignant and "full circle": that the Rebellion gave them a place to go after breaking out of Imperial prison, so they volunteer for a suicide mission to help the Rebellion (and to stick it to the Empire one last time).

Chapek was “leading” when one of the largest drops in Disney stock values occurred, he’s been doomed for the past week due to that. He’s also overseen some of the most unpopular changes at the park ever (Genie+, park reservations, the continuing suspension of dining plan).

figmentPez

Staff member
Is it really the first?
It's probably with a lot of caveats. Like there have been gay characters before, but not a teenager, in a feature length movie, that's animated, from Disney (and not some Disney owned subsidiary), etc. etc. They'll probably put out a headline when they've got their first openly lesbian teenage character, too.

It's like when Baseball statstics get oddly specific. Here comes Bob Generic up to plate, he's batting 0.700 against left-handed pitchers, on Tuesdays, in November, in an indoor field, while it's raining!

Is it really the first?
Can't find it atm, but someone did those first two images stacked on top of the Jimmy Neutron show-n-tell meme:
"[Disney], this is the sixth* time you've brought [gay teen] to class!"

--Patrick
I'm pretty sure the caption said "sixth"

Oh, is the finale out? Excellent, we stayed watching a bit early so we're all caught up and now we have to wait for it to become available here but if it's out it shouldn't be too long :thumbsup: