The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

figmentPez

Staff member
Once again assholes who call themselves Star Wars fans are harassing an actor because she's black. Here's Ewan McGregor's message on the subject:

Those assholes are now on Twitting whining about "where was Disney when Gina Carano was getting harassed?!" Disney was keeping their mouth shut so that they didn't have to publicly denounce Carano for the shitty stuff she said. They did her a favor by not saying anything, and she should be fucking grateful.

I haven't seen the show yet, but...Is her skin color in any way ever relevant?

I mean, I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't think every possible criticism about a person's color is by definition racism. If they do a remake and cast Luke as black and Leia as white, I'd find it a problem because they're supposedly twins. Likewise, having Anakin and Padmé both be South-East Asian and have Luke and Leia come out Caucasian would be annoying (yes, I'm aware it's all genetically possible but just highly unlikely. But a series or movie pulling "lol they're siblings" with characters who look completely I'd consider somewhat of a reach. Doesn't mean they have to be literal twins).Some re-imaginings I can have a problem with though they can be addressed (if anybody would want to) or ignored (duh) because of other aspects. I don't think Mimi Ndiweni was a great cast as Fringilla in the Witcher, because she's supposed to be the absolute epitome of beauty, and,to use a reverse-bhamv: I don't think she's good looking enough for a role with literally that description (I'm reading the books at the moment. Fringilla is not just "really pretty". She's supposed to be nearly above human levels, prettier than elves and dryads. The writing really makes a big deal of it). Not because of her color - say, a younger Halle Berry to take a random example, would've been perfectly fine.
Just to say, sometimes a critique about a choice of actor/actress can be valid, or, if not that, at least rooted in a non-racist basis.

For a random, non-established character, though? And especially in a universe like Star Wars? She could be green, blue, pink, have two arms sprouting out of her head, so what?

I haven't seen the show yet, but...Is her skin color in any way ever relevant?

I mean, I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't think every possible criticism about a person's color is by definition racism. If they do a remake and cast Luke as black and Leia as white, I'd find it a problem because they're supposedly twins. Likewise, having Anakin and Padmé both be South-East Asian and have Luke and Leia come out Caucasian would be annoying (yes, I'm aware it's all genetically possible but just highly unlikely. But a series or movie pulling "lol they're siblings" with characters who look completely I'd consider somewhat of a reach. Doesn't mean they have to be literal twins).Some re-imaginings I can have a problem with though they can be addressed (if anybody would want to) or ignored (duh) because of other aspects. I don't think Mimi Ndiweni was a great cast as Fringilla in the Witcher, because she's supposed to be the absolute epitome of beauty, and,to use a reverse-bhamv: I don't think she's good looking enough for a role with literally that description (I'm reading the books at the moment. Fringilla is not just "really pretty". She's supposed to be nearly above human levels, prettier than elves and dryads. The writing really makes a big deal of it). Not because of her color - say, a younger Halle Berry to take a random example, would've been perfectly fine.
Just to say, sometimes a critique about a choice of actor/actress can be valid, or, if not that, at least rooted in a non-racist basis.

For a random, non-established character, though? And especially in a universe like Star Wars? She could be green, blue, pink, have two arms sprouting out of her head, so what?
Two things, one: Mimi Ndiweni is gorgeous and a great actor so disagree there, but arguing that an actress isn't pretty enough for a role feels kinda gross to me so I'm going to leave it at that. And two, Moses in Obi-Wan plays a badass Inquisitor who proves to be even more cunning and ambitious than the grand Inquisitor, which I guess is why the chuds are mad? I don't know, she's a great character.

Obi-Wan-Kenobi-show-Moses-Ingram-Reva.jpeg

Once again, fragile white males are terrified by an awesome, kick ass black woman.

Moses Ingram just rocks in this role. She is absolutely perfect. She feels like a real threat. (Apparently not just to Obi-Wan, but to all the snowflake fanboys, too. :D )

And fuck those assholes whining about how she didn't "research" the role. That's just more gatekeeping bullshit that's mostly aimed at women. It's a brand new character! What the fuck was she supposed to research? Watching Rebels or playing Fallen Order is not going to give her any information on playing Reva that the script and Deborah Chow can't give her. Unless you think all the Inquisitors are cookie-cutter characters with no variation? And I don't think it's a bad thing for an actor to go into a new role with a fresh perspective, it keeps the stories from getting repetitive and stale. That's actually the great thing about Reva as the villain, the Grand Inquisitor and Fifth Brother are shackled to canon (unless they do some major retcon), while Reva is entirely new and they can do whatever they want with her in this series.

Once again, fragile white males are terrified by an awesome, kick ass black woman.

Moses Ingram just rocks in this role. She is absolutely perfect. She feels like a real threat. (Apparently not just to Obi-Wan, but to all the snowflake fanboys, too. :D )

And fuck those assholes whining about how she didn't "research" the role. That's just more gatekeeping bullshit that's mostly aimed at women. It's a brand new character! What the fuck was she supposed to research? Watching Rebels or playing Fallen Order is not going to give her any information on playing Reva that the script and Deborah Chow can't give her. Unless you think all the Inquisitors are cookie-cutter characters with no variation? And I don't think it's a bad thing for an actor to go into a new role with a fresh perspective, it keeps the stories from getting repetitive and stale. That's actually the great thing about Reva as the villain, the Grand Inquisitor and Fifth Brother are shackled to canon (unless they do some major retcon), while Reva is entirely new and they can do whatever they want with her in this series.
Guy playing the Grand Inquisitor flat out said he didn't watch rebels or anything with him prior and I haven't seen any one bitch about him, like they would a lady in the same position.

Dave

Staff member
My only problem with her is that she’s really good at parkour but never seems to get anywhere.

My only problem with her is that she’s really good at parkour but never seems to get anywhere.
She was out of her element on those rooftops, so of course she would be slow while jumping around like crazy, plenty of time for Obi-Wan to casually walk down the stairs to pick up you know who in that alley.

Now tunnels? That is her element. Does not matter if you have a ten minute head start on her, she will be able to not only go faster then you, but will teleport right past you just to mock you.

Last edited:
Owen and Beru are Darth Vaders brother and sister in law. What happened to the Storm Troopers that killed Vaders only known family?

Owen and Beru are Darth Vaders brother and sister in law. What happened to the Storm Troopers that killed Vaders only known family?
Nothing. It's fairly clear in Attack of the Clones when Anakin meets the Lars' that he doesn't consider them family. Unlikely that would change after his fall. And if you're willing to accept non-movie sources Disney's Ultimate Star Wars factbook outright states that Vader personally ordered Owen and Beru's execution.

Nothing. It's fairly clear in Attack of the Clones when Anakin meets the Lars' that he doesn't consider them family. Unlikely that would change after his fall. And if you're willing to accept non-movie sources Disney's Ultimate Star Wars factbook outright states that Vader personally ordered Owen and Beru's execution.
Technically, they are only related through marriage, not blood. Anakin met them a total of one time, and didn't even know his mom had gotten married. Plus, Anakin being a jackass in general. So, the killing of Owen and Beru was probably a "For me, it was a Tuesday" moment for Vader.

Honestly this show is driving me totally nutty sometimes.

Reva "Lord Vader, I have captured Obi-Wan and have him secured."

Vader "Excellent, he is right there with you?"

Reva "Well, no, I secured him behind some blast doors."

Vader "Blast doors? You mean the ones you originally broke into? The one the leads right to the enemy stronghold?"

Reva "Yes..."

Vader "Obi-Wan is a Jedi Master, at least you sent an entire battalion to watch him, right?"

Reva "By battalion you mean, like, two regular stormtroopers right?"

Also, yes I know there was a sort of thing where Obi-Wan took advantage of Reva's anger to get her to try to get Vader alone, but Reva was supposed to be smarter then that, and getting the jump on Vader made MORE sense if he was actually focusing on Obi-Wan the whole time he was captured. Instead, she basically handed Obi-Wan back to The Path and gave away her wild card once that ship took off.

Honestly this show is driving me totally nutty sometimes.

Reva "Lord Vader, I have captured Obi-Wan and have him secured."

Vader "Excellent, he is right there with you?"

Reva "Well, no, I secured him behind some blast doors."

Vader "Blast doors? You mean the ones you originally broke into? The one the leads right to the enemy stronghold?"

Reva "Yes..."

Vader "Obi-Wan is a Jedi Master, at least you sent an entire battalion to watch him, right?"

Reva "By battalion you mean, like, two regular stormtroopers right?"

Also, yes I know there was a sort of thing where Obi-Wan took advantage of Reva's anger to get her to try to get Vader alone, but Reva was supposed to be smarter then that, and getting the jump on Vader made MORE sense if he was actually focusing on Obi-Wan the whole time he was captured. Instead, she basically handed Obi-Wan back to The Path and gave away her wild card once that ship took off.
I know what you mean. There are some good moments and some good performances in this show, but I find the overall story and some of the execution a bit disappointing.

I thought episode 6 of Kenobi illustrated the fundamental problem with the series as a whole. There are a lot of other concerns, but the central one is that the show didn't know what it was supposed to be about -- Obi-Wan and Anakin. The later episodes did touch on this, but it really should have been the through-line for the whole series. Oddly, given the issues with Boba Fett, this series would have benefited from more flashbacks. And not flashbacks of Anakin being a monster, we should have seen Anakin and Obi-Wan being friends, working together. The show should have made us feel the betrayal more. Also, we should have seen more Vader in the present. Vader should have been the one obsessed with finding Obi-Wan, not some subordinate of his. And even though I think episode 6 did get close to this concept, the resolution the show was working towards needed to be Obi-Wan letting go of the past and accepting the future, and Vader remaining trapped.

From what I head, McGregor let slip that the original screenplay was supposed to be a movie, but that before it was set to be produced they decided to change it to a Disney+ series. If you look at it from that angle it kind of shows, because it feels like a lot of moments were added just to drag stuff. For example...
There is only so many times you can use the "He wants me, so I will give up / lead him away." angle in a single series and it felt like this show attempted to have him do it every episode in some format, from the first time Vader appeared all the way to two or three times in the last two episodes alone.
So yeah, it feels like it knows what it wanted to do but was unsure how to make it work over 4-5 hours. Be interesting if someday someone does a "movie" edit and removes a lot of that fat.

Apparently they use some sort of non-toxic cleaning chemical that happens to turn the water pink temporarily.

But yeah, it looks like the river of slime.