The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

Saw a bunch of Disney owned video games on sale and it occurred to me:

Guybrush Threepwood is a Disney Princess.
Thanks to Hamilton, King George III is a Disney Princess.

Meaning we all need to throw money at Amy Mebberson to get him into Pocket Princesses. :D

I love when they do these. And hi, Jackie Chan!

Also, Dimitri's not a... well, only because of the Fox merger.

People assumed the special episode was basically a soft pilot for a spin-off.

Now we just need Rescue Rangers.
The Rescue Rangers would need to show up again for that to be possible. I DO know we're getting a cross-over with Talespin later this season, with Kit and Molly as modern day versions of their perspective parental figures.

The Three Caballeros also already have an on-going series that's airing internationally and on Disney +, so they already made it.

I'd rather Gummi Bears than RR.
My only thought about this is... what do we do with it? I feel like I'd want a Ducktales episode about going back in time and doing stuff with the Gummi Bears before I'd commit to a series.

The Rescue Rangers would need to show up again for that to be possible. I DO know we're getting a cross-over with Talespin later this season, with Kit and Molly as modern day versions of their perspective parental figures.

The Three Caballeros also already have an on-going series that's airing internationally and on Disney +, so they already made it.

My only thought about this is... what do we do with it? I feel like I'd want a Ducktales episode about going back in time and doing stuff with the Gummi Bears before I'd commit to a series.
The Darkwing Duck reboot article does not mention that it would be based on the Ducktales (2017) characters. In fact the production company Point Grey has nothing to do with Ducktales currently. If they are going to make a series it would seem more likely that they will make it their own. HOWEVER, there is nothing here that says that's it is a done deal. There is also a Ducktales podcast that has claimed they have a source very connected in Disney animation who says that this Variety story does not seem to match what he has heard.
Personally if they go ahead with a new Darkwing show I feel it should be a spinoff of the current Ducktales show.

But, just like The Three Caballeros series, the Darkwing Duck reboot doesn't HAVE to be part of the Ducktales (2017) universe. Neither would any other series greenlit, even if the characters made an appearance in Ducktales.
The last big news I heard was that Rescue Rangers was going to be a Disney+ exclusive movie: with CGI animals and live action humans. Which is exciting but even more terrifying considering it's basically going to be another G-Force movie but with Alvin and the Chipmunks. I'm sadly not very optimistic on that idea.

I think Gummi Bears would do absolutely just fine as it's own show. The original series was formulaic but it actually had a continuing story at times. I really wanted to know if they would ever meet up with the Great Gummies.

figmentPez

Staff member
Make Duke Igthorn into a competent threat, with the kingdom of Dunwyn actually at war. Raise the stakes of the Gummi Bear's interactions with humans; a chance to find the Great Gummis and escape Igthorn forever, or help the humans and possibly lose their chance to rejoin the rest of the Gummi civilization.

Is it really that hard to imagine that there are things that can be done with 67 episodes of content? (Not to mention a daily newspaper comic.) Take the basic characters, treat them more seriously than the 80s were allowed to do, and reexamine the tropes through a modern lens. Basically, do the same thing that DuckTales did. An ancient civilization of magic and technology that mysteriously vanished, an invading horde of monsters led by by a traitorous human, a young princess with her heart set on adventure, knights, wizards, swords, sorcery! Nope, can't do anything with that.

Disney’s argument is that they have purchased the rights but not the obligations of the contract. In other words, they believe they have the right to publish work, but are not obligated to pay the writer no matter what the contract says. If we let this stand, it could set precedent to fundamentally alter the way copyright and contracts operate in the United States. All a publisher would have to do to break a contract would be to sell it to a sibling company.
Alan Dean Foster is, quite possibly, my favorite SF/F author.
I can’t see how this could possibly be justified by anyone, and hope for a swift and proper summary judgement and the corresponding addition of punitive damages for what can only be described as arrogance and a deliberate attempt to shirk/sidestep their obligation(s). After all, if they are mandating a signed NDA prior to negotiations, that means we have no idea how many other creators have been bippity-boppity-bullied into submission.

I’m not usually one to toss out hashtags UNironically, but not only does this one feel personal, its potential to literally break the rules which guarantee creators compensation for their work mean that this practice MUST be cast down.

#DisneyMustPay

—Patrick

Last edited:
But copyright is there to protect the artists, and totally not the giant corporations, you guys...

Seriously though, if this stand up in court even for a second, copyright's only legit purpose is dead.

Yeah, I just found out about her irl persona this weekend. Such a shame, because I was really liking Cara Dune.

So I just finished Agents of Shield, after binging the last two seasons over the weekend on Netflix. My thoughts...

Season 6: It's clear they thought Season 5 was going to be the ending of the series, so they kind of wrote themselves into a corner. I didn't find the whole "Evil Coulson" thing to be compelling and when they finally revealed what was going on, I couldn't care less. But the space stuff was fun and Enoch was great.

Season 7: They literally got the nod from ABC and Disney to do whatever the fucking hell they wanted and they went ALL OUT. Time travel through multiple decades, complete with stylistic changes and parodies of movies/tv of that decade. Bringing back characters from Agent Carter. Deke becoming that heart of the team after a season of being a dick and sharing one of the best episodes with Mac in a character piece. And an ending that they fucking earned with a season of compelling drama. If the entire show had been like THIS, Agents of Shields would have been a massive hit instead of something in production to advertise the movies.

All in all, I'm glad it's over and that I didn't hate the ending.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is not at all what I expected, but it looks AWESOME!

LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special
The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special is exactly what the trailer makes it out to be, and I loved it! Those who thought the sequel trilogy relied too much on nostalgia and references might want to stay away, but I thought this was fantastic. Perfect day to watch it, too.

Honestly I think what makes it work is the lack of Jedi. It feels more grounded and let's us see how the Galaxy works outside of the space wizards, and makes it so when they do appear (Ahsoka) we get more excited.

In a way, yes. I think it has more to do with the writing and creative direction behind it though. I would love to see what Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau could do with having free reign behind a trilogy.

I've always said the best way to make a modern Star Wars movie was to take a different genre and just set it in Star Wars. That's kind of why Rogue One (which is basically a heist movie) works. Hell, if you wanted to do The Mandalorian as a movie, you could basically just do A Fist Full of Dollars or The Magnificent 7/Seven Samurai.

Hell, you wanna do an action movie? Have a transport full of troopers go down on a planet while they are transporting a Sith and just go full Predator with it.

I've always said the best way to make a modern Star Wars movie was to take a different genre and just set it in Star Wars. That's kind of why Rogue One (which is basically a heist movie) works. Hell, if you wanted to do The Mandalorian as a movie, you could basically just do A Fist Full of Dollars or The Magnificent 7/Seven Samurai.

Hell, you wanna do an action movie? Have a transport full of troopers go down on a planet while they are transporting a Sith and just go full Predator with it.
That's what they kind of did with the MCU. They could go a little further with it, IMO.

There's a big difference in expectations and possibilities between a "main" movie, a "side" movie, series/books, and other (games, comics,...).
The 9 movies were supposed to tell one big heroic saga, everything else is filling in blanks around it. The stakes can be smaller, the world can grow in many directions.